EGA worn by Corpsman attached to USNC in France WWI

kanemono

I had posted this group in the medals section a while back. The person I bought this group from called me yesterday and said that he found the EGA that was with this group. He had put it with some other EGA's and forgot where he put them. From what I understand the only EGA that Corpsmen attached to the Marines in France wore was worn on their overseas cap. This must be the EGA that Wicker wore on his cap. This looks like it is foreign made. Can anyone give me information on the EGA?

Dick

post-9487-0-38453300-1370036060.jpg

post-9487-0-15824200-1370036067.jpg

post-9487-0-39874200-1370036076.jpg

Obviously not worn in WWI. Wicker must have picked it up when he served in Shanghai.

Dick

BigJohn#3RD

Dick, The fact that he also had a Yangtze Service Medal for service in the Yangtze River Valley between the dates of September 3, 1926 and December 31, 1932, and did not get his GCM until 1929 so all taken into account he could have been on active duty at the beginning of WW2 so it is possible that he could have gotten it then. Anyhow great group to a brave Corpsman who served with the 6th Machine Gun Battalion aka Suicide Battalions in WWI. Thanks for posting. John

• 1 month later...
ReverendJake

While this EGA may not have been his, K. C. Luke EGA's are rather uncommon pieces. I just picked up a nice K. C. Luke officer's engineer insignia. My guess is that the seller got mixed up or he didn't get the EGA until after WW2.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I solved the mystery of how Wicker had a WW2 EGA made in Australia not a WW1 EGA. It wasn't his EGA. I just bought a KIA Marine group to a Marine who served in Guadalcanal and was killed on the beach at Tarawa. I bought the Wicker group from the same person who is a veteran of WW2. When I bought the Marine group he said that he had mixed up EGA's and that the K. C. Luke EGA went with the Tarawa KIA group. Sorry about the mistake but thanks for the help.

Dick