Bill Mauldin Collection (so far)

gitana

Yeah, that's a good one and you're right that it's tough to find.

I really need to find a reason to display my complete Mauldin collection somewhere.

I lucked up and got some books from Mauldin's personal collection, including a copy of "Up Front" in Czech!

• 1 month later...

I ran across a cool Mauldin item that I've never seen before. It's a small, single-fold invitation to a 45th Infantry Division Headquarters Company Dance and Buffet Supper. The piece is dated Wednesday, April 28, which would make it from 1943. The cover has a die-cut rectangle, with a hint of a Mauldin cartoon. You open the invitation, and can see the entire Mauldin drawing. I'll try and post the images below:

Mauldin-Bill-45th-Infantry-Dance-Buffet-

Mauldin-Bill-45th-Infantry-Dance-Buffet-

I recently picked up the original artwork to this late Bill Mauldin original, and am trying to find out what day it ran in the newspaper. I had read in Todd DePastino's book that Mauldin retired from the newspaper in 1990, but this one is clearly dated 1991. Todd thought that it might have been from a backlog of pieces that Mauldin had, but he didn't know when it ran. I'm thinking that it may be among the last batch of his newspaper pieces. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks! Best, Rob

Mauldin-Bill-Chicago-Sun-Times-1991-Repl

Robart,

Apparently this was dated 1971. It was printed here on 25 November 1971.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19711125&id=uWNNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uAkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6404,4391003&hl=en

I recently picked this up, very happy to have it...great book too with some very funny political cartoons...Bill would have had a field day with todays politics....the autograph also mentions his buddy and other famous war artist milton Caniff.........mike

post-350-0-41363300-1473796752_thumb.jpg

Robart,

Apparently this was dated 1971. It was printed here on 25 November 1971.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19711125&id=uWNNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uAkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6404,4391003&hl=en

Thanks so much! It was advertised as being from 1991, and the 7 looks enough like a 9 that I thought that was the case. This is great. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help!

• 9 months later...

Some time ago I bought a Stars and Stripes page from June 1944 mainly for the article about the 85th Inf Div. On the reverse is this "Up Front" cartoon that I had not seen before.post-70300-0-34779900-1498912239_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So I recently picked up a nice little Mauldin drawing of Joe, that Mauldin apparently gave to Ed Vebell back in 1944. Vebell was Mauldin's boss at the Stars and Stripes office in Italy, and according to Ed, who passed away last year, he was the one who had Mauldin switch from a pen to a brush. The piece was matted with information that it appeared in a Mediterranean edition of Stars and Stripes, but I've not yet been able to locate it. I struck out with Todd DePastino as well. By any chance, have any of you seen this piece before?

Many thanks.

Best,

Rob Stolzer

Mauldin-Bill-Joe-1944-Med-Stars-Strips-V

Thanks Mike. This appears to have been published in Stars and Stripes in 1944, though I haven't been able to track down exactly where yet.

So I recently picked up a nice little Mauldin drawing of Joe, that Mauldin apparently gave to Ed Vebell back in 1944. Vebell was Mauldin's boss at the Stars and Stripes office in Italy, and according to Ed, who passed away last year, he was the one who had Mauldin switch from a pen to a brush. The piece was matted with information that it appeared in a Mediterranean edition of Stars and Stripes, but I've not yet been able to locate it. I struck out with Todd DePastino as well. By any chance, have any of you seen this piece before?

Many thanks.

Best,

Rob Stolzer

Mauldin-Bill-Joe-1944-Med-Stars-Strips-V

A friend of mine actually discovered where this piece was published. It appeared in the Mediterranean Stars and Stripes published in Rome on October 7, 1944. I found a crappy scan of the article online, but my friend is sending me the issue of Stars and Stripes, so I'll scan from that when it arrives.

I received the issue of Stars and Stripes that the Mauldin is from. It's nice to see the story that accompanied the artwork. These two images appeared in one column on the page:

Stars-and-Stripes-Mediterranean-Rome-Edi

Stars-and-Stripes-Mediterranean-Rome-Edi

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

These Bill Mauldin cartoons were from Collier's Magazine in 1952. A three part group of articles where Bill Mauldin went to Korea as a correspondent. It was written as if it was a letter from Joe to Willie. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the third entry.

Collier's v129 n13 [1952-03-29]_0014A.jpg

Collier's v129 n13 [1952-03-29]_0014B.jpg

Collier's v129 n15 [1952-04-12]_0019A.jpg

Collier's v129 n15 [1952-04-12]_0019B.jpg

Collier's v129 n15 [1952-04-12]_0020A.jpg

Collier's v129 n15 [1952-04-12]_0020B.jpg

I loved the one of the soldier making a remark to a couple Generals as Airborne troops passed them, and they were saluting.  The soldier made a remark that they should be careful as to what they said to Airborne Troops, "as they always" ask where you got your jump boots?  

Years later I was with a couple buddies at the Columbia South Carolina Airport.  My one buddy caught a private fresh out of basic wearing blouses jump boots.  SSG Reader followed him into the layrine and told him he had 1 minute to go in his duffle bag and come-up with "either a pair of low quarters or flip flops, But don't let me catch you wearing paratrooper boots unless you have jump wings on".  

• 1 year later...

1943 Christmas V-Mail Card
As Christmas 1943 approached, publishing funds for the 45th Division News were again getting low. V-mail had been introduced that year, so Bill drew a 45th Division Christmas card that was printed on the form. 100,000 were printed at two cents apiece, the profit being about half, and all were sold in a few days. The proceeds were used to pay for a full-color Christmas issue of the 45th Division News as well as Mud, Mules, and Mountains, which again helped to fund the newspaper. 

Here's the picture of the V-mail card from The Brass Ring

vmail.jpg.b79a8a50b04560c4345e5ec7e1a10ac1.jpg

And here's a V-mail with the card.

s-l1600.jpg.8394c825abc75e5c6d96dd1db2b81c11.jpg

s-l1600(2).jpg.f1f0306ac021281dd47d6e1345e9134d.jpg

s-l1600(1).jpg.521d83d71146dfde527220325c73f857.jpg