The Proud Kraut Patch Collection

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Laury, I think you did a very good job!

You displayed the patches with unit designation and in sequence. Great! I thought about it and would like to know, how many Arty and ADA DUI's exist. If I would display my few ones in the same way you would see mostly blank sheets. Maybe I will display them with small cards separately...

Thanks again!

Lars

Laury Allison
Laury, I think you did a very good job!

You displayed the patches with unit designation and in sequence. Great! I thought about it and would like to know, how many Arty and ADA DUI's exist. If I would display my few ones in the same way you would see mostly blank sheets. Maybe I will display them with small cards separately...

Thanks again!

Lars

Lars,

The ASMIC DI catalogs would give you an idea of just how many ADA and Arty crests there are (a lot of them). What I've mostly done with mine is leave spaces for ones that I hope to find and am actively seeking. I know there are other crests that don't have a spot on my boards....if I do manage to get those or pick up new finds, I'll add those onto the end until time comes to redo the boards.

I mostly used Jason Stein's DI book as a starting point and then included newer releases that have been authorized since his book was done. I also added in crests that weren't in the Stein book. You can display them using whatever works best for what you have at the time. My method is not that expensive and can easily be updated as needed.

I noticed you had yours on the cork boards, which I used for several years. Be careful if you move them off of those, as I had several pins pop off the back of them when I moved them. crying.gif The foam board is much more foregiving when it comes to moving them and still hold them very securely.

Looks like you've got a nice start to your collection! thumbsup.gif DIs can be very addictive! w00t.gif Good luck and happy hunting! ;) I've been collecting them every since I was very young....over 40 years and can't ever imagine not collecting them.

Laury

• 5 months later...

The DoD alpha list of unit and, therefore, potential DUI mottoes shows roughly 7,250 different ones, give or take, not including newly created ones.

:blink:

Lars,

going back to the Airborne patch up above, the one highly vivid mostly yellow... what is the origin/era of that variant?

Sup3rmi, Bluehawk and Duffy thank you very much!

@Bluehawk this yellow 82nd InfDiv patch seems to be a "manufactors testshot". I have a few of them in my collection.

Lars

E2.JPG

Thank you very much nam_cat and Blake_E!

Yes, it took several years for collecting these. I remember pre-ebay times when I lived in Northern-Germany, the next U.S. base 500 kilometers away, when I got 5-10 patches a years. Moving to southwest Germany made things easier for me. Then, when many of the U.S. facilities were closed, most of the really good shows I knew a gone too.

Lars

@Bluehawk this yellow 82nd InfDiv patch seems to be a "manufactors testshot". I have a few of them in my collection.

Lars

Thank you Lars... it looked SO odd, had me wondering about it.

• 1 month later...

hey Lars,

thank you for showing us your glorious collection! I'm very interested in the 101st Airborne patches, where did you got these all different kinds?

Grüße aus Deutschland!

Tobi

Thank you very much guys! As soon as my times allows I have to regroup my Brigade section. So many new patches there, fantastic!

Thanks again!

Lars

Hi Silvano,

thank you very much! Yes of course, the collection is a mix of patches from WW II until today.

Lars

• 1 month later...

Lars, you have a very impressive collection my friend, keep up the good work, and happy hunting. I hope those few I traded you helped fill a few holes in your collection.

Take care

What is the history behind the 1st Cav shoulder patch with the devil riding the liaison aircraft? I have two DI pins like that. Was that WWII, Korea, or Vietnam vintage? Any idea what specific unit? GREAT COLLECTION!!!

Taylor

Proud Kraut

Thank you very much guys!

Taylor, the patch you mentioned is a copy of a postwar patch of the 15th Aviation Company. I think the original patch was made in Japan.

Lars