USMC ww2 3rd mar div alpha coat and hat

jdamaso111

jdamaso111

first marine core uniform purchase for me, will be attempting to research it when I find out from back home if there is a name in the coat anywhere. Was told it is dated 1942 on the tag. It is obviously missing a ribbon bar and the one it has is pretty faded has a purple heart ribbon with star, PUC with star and a NUC.

KGrHqJHJEMFGTct8pnBRoZq2L8Q60_57_zpsa6e9

T2eC16NHJIIE9qTYI1n3BRoZicoQ60_57_zpsa87

T2eC16NHJGYFFkwllqqLBRoZfwZhQ60_57_zps4f

KGrHqNlcFGZJq2DwBBRoRRcSFQ60_57_zpsa23c8

T2eC16VzcE9s4g3LcgBRoRRfjzhw60_57_zps226

would love some feedback

jdamaso111

The date should be found on the inside lining of the sleeve/armpit. How wide are the ribbon bars

not sure, def wider than a normal ribbon tho I will have them measured when it gets to my place.

Wasn't this one just on Ebay? I was thinking about it, but the only thing was, he said it wasn't named. That is the only reason I didn't bid. If you could find a name on it and it checks out, that would be a killer first set.

jdamaso111

Wasn't this one just on Ebay? I was thinking about it, but the only thing was, he said it wasn't named. That is the only reason I didn't bid. If you could find a name on it and it checks out, that would be a killer first set.

yes but the seller didn't seem to know too much about it so im hoping I can find one in it.

Ditto, I didn't bid for the same reason ... perhaps we did wrong ;)

This might be your marine

Name: Edwin L Miller

Muster Date: Oct 1943

Station: Company "E", Second Battalion, Twenty-First Marines, Third Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force, In The Field

Looks like he was a field musician in the 2nd Div then moved to the 3rd div came back to the states in 1944.

jdamaso111

This might be your marine

Name: Edwin L Miller

Muster Date: Oct 1943

Station: Company "E", Second Battalion, Twenty-First Marines, Third Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force, In The Field

Looks like he was a field musician in the 2nd Div then moved to the 3rd div came back to the states in 1944.

awesome! did it say anything about awards? or if he sustained some form of injury?

I looked at the casualty list and he wasn't listed. But it is curious that came back stateside and didnt finish more campaigns with the 3rd. Unfortunately I'm on my cellphone and can't access the records correctly to see if there is a service number listed. Hopefully somebody can help out. I believe the numbers just might be cutters or tailor notes. I don't think the bar is original to the jacket but the sgt patches look OG. I'm curious about the 3rd div patch looks like it was added later but still WWII era. Can I see how that patch is sewn on from the inside? Any name written behind the inner headband in the hat? I think you came out OK but I would like to have someone else double check.

jdamaso111

cap has L.N.S written inside, and the 3rd mar patch is sewn through the wool but not all the way through the liner.

jdamaso111

one of the muster rolls for the same man has listed "MOB-8; 6, see footnote "I" 6-9 see footnote "k" ; 10-31; sk U.S. NAVY base hosp #2"

this lists him in the 3rd mar div as being in the field as his assignment as well, so maybe he was injured.

He must have gotten a non combat injury and sent back stateside.

I've seen that on some hand sewn patches they sew the patch through the patch but not the liner, not pretty looking compared to others but it seems perfectly legit.

Very nice! Looks like you got a great jacket.

Stinger Gunner USMC

The casualty list is not 100% either. Seems to be mostly Serious wounds that took them to Division hospitals or hospital ships. Plenty of confirmed PH receipents (confirmed directly from official service records) in my collection are not on the Casualty list, and some are on the Cas. list that have no mention of wounds in their service records???

I figured the list wouldn't be 100% but from my collection it's been very accurate. Good to know that it isn't.

Won't know until you get the records on if he received the PH.