Campaign Hat, Personal Purchase

Patriot

Just picked this up. This one is rumored to have belonged to both the Kaiser, and Annie Oakley. Perhaps you fella's could help substantiate this.

The real question is:

When exactly does this hat date? I am assuming WWI.

The wool felt is of a very high quality. Nice, flexible brim, with no stitching on the brim. Russet sweat band, with a black chin strap.

Thank you!

Patriot

post-2801-1206810587.jpg

post-2801-1206810595.jpg

It's a nice looking hat.

It is infact beaver felt, not wool. Beaver felt is a much better hat material than wool and these campaign hats were made out of beaver.

Now, I'm a collector of Golden Era civilian hats and the such so campaign hats aren't my expertise but I would also date your hat from the WW1 period. I've seen a known WW1 example up close and it is exactly like yours.

Cheers

New Romantic

Yes, this is a WWI era private purchase officers' service hat. Are any maker marks present in the sweatband? Normally the maker's mark would be easily visible, stamped into the headband in gold lettering. I have one of these made by Stetson.

post-599-1206918235.jpg

Stetson stamp

Wow,The hat is a beauty.Definently WW1.Hope you bought it right as these in this condition are going sky high fast.Pony.

I appreciate the comments!

New Romantic,

There are not any visible makers mark that I can see. I had assumed that it was indeed WWI, but there seems to be a gray area when it comes to those hats made just post war. It seems to be all the more murky when it comes to privately made officer hats.

Patriot

I appreciate the comments!

New Romantic,

There are not any visible makers mark that I can see. I had assumed that it was indeed WWI, but there seems to be a gray area when it comes to those hats made just post war. It seems to be all the more murky when it comes to privately made officer hats.

Patriot

Look on the reverse of the sweatband. Most early goverment contrated 1911 hats are ink stamped under the sweatband with maker name and date or there may be a pvt maker lable hidden by the sweatband, Ray

Hello Ray,

The sweatband, while soft, and in superb condition, is not flexible enough to bend safely. I have already tried, but I did not want to risk damaging the hat. I did notice that there is no reed present behind the band.

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

Patriot