U.S.M.C. Korean made painted brass rank chevrons

hhbooker2

I saw that, and believe it may be missing paint, not a raised diamond. That's the first place the paint chips on these, center between the stripes and rockers, on the crease

Thanks for posting the information on these chevrons. I acquired this lot today and was totally stumped until I read this topic in the forum.

Judy H.

Welcome to the Forum jm. Could you do us a favor and post a close up of the rank at the very far right?

• 9 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

The PFC and lower MSgt are both Army but I am seriously considering painting the PFC red just to fill that spot. I know altering pieces is frowned upon but who knows when I'l ever see another PFC for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Chevrons picked up over the past couple of months, completes my fullsize collection unless a 1stSgt fullsize is floating around out there. PFC and Cpl came mixed in with a bunch of Army and AAF pins, and have to thank Maddox for the Sgt chevron. Cpl is an extra

100_9365.JPG

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Awesome! Glad to finally see a PFC! Now I just hope another surfaces! And I'm sure your 1stSgt is out there somewhere.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I have been wondering, we refer to the smaller size chevrons as collar insignia but does anyone have any photographic evidence of them being worn as so? Or that that just the general consensus?

• 3 weeks later...

Updated shot of my collection...definitely hangs much more level now that the PFC and SGT have been added to the left side. Thanks to Maddox for the Sgt addition

100_9377.JPG

Now I really wonder if there is a SgtMaj floating around somewhere!

It is not likely that a Sergeant Major chevron for this set was ever produced. Sergeant Major for Army and Marines came back in 1958 and I think these were out of style by then.

Of course, once you say it does not exist one will pop up somewhere!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

You are correct in that the SgtMaj rank did not exist for either branch at this time (3 chevrons, 3 rockers and a star in the center) so I would agree that there are none of these chevrons for that rank. The Marine Corps did not have a First Sergeant rank at that time either, but the Army did so I assume the small 1stSgt piece that I have came out of the same mold used for the Army's 1stSgt chevron. Marines actually readopted SgtMaj and 1stSgt at the end of 1954 and Korea ended in July '53 so given the year and half gap between the war ending and the ranks being reestablished, it is unlikely that any SgtMaj chevrons are out there but like you said, you never know for sure!

I'm of the belief that the 1stSgt you have is an odd fluke. Possibly the Koreans at that shop didn't pay attention to the fact the Marines had none, thus more likely to find a red painted one in an Army group?

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I think that is a safe assumption. We'll have to keep our eyes open. Still surprised that we haven't seen any more small ones and that the first one I come across is a 1stSgt. Have you ever seen any other than your MSgt and my 1stSgt?

I have small Corporal, Staff Sergeant and Master Sergeant. Notice that the SSG is smaller than the other two.

I'll post a picture

post-60620-0-79010300-1448838437.jpg

• 1 year later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Interesting that there seems to be so few PFC and Sgt ranks... You would think those lower ranks would be much more common than the higher ones, but it seems like there are many SSgt. TSgt and MSgt (as well as Cpl) chevrons.. I probably have at least 4 or 5 of each of those in the large size. I wonder where all those PFCs and Sgts went!