U.S.M.C. Korean made painted brass rank chevrons

hhbooker2

SEMPER FIDELIS! Here are two painted thin brass chevrons for a Master Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps. It was said to be made in South Korea. Maybe worn on the M-1 helmet liner or a utility cap? Please feel free to show your scans of similar insignia here too and tell us your thoughts, thanks! Sarge (Herbert Booker of Florida)

post-837-0-79321000-1369940290.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Hey Sarge--

There's another topic or two floating around about these chevrons. They're definitely Korean made, I have had vets tell me that they were made from melted down brass, like the souvenir rings you sometimes see. Both Army and USMC used these, Army had a blue painted background. I have a couple at home. I know Brig has a selection of these USMC painted chevrons.

post-5589-0-98661600-1401285138.jpg

7th ID 1st Sgt "Lefty" Stone

Rob

Captainofthe7th

Nice, hardstripe!! I don't think I've ever seen a complete set. It's interesting that the 3 stripe sgt chevron is painted with Army colors, as at this point that rank did not exist for the Army. If it was red for USMC it would not be as unusual...very cool

patches, I have no idea what Lefty's WWII service is. I saved the photo a while ago because of the 7th ID connection and the brass chevron.

Rob

I have a photo I can't find right now of a local vet wearing his brass stripes on the front of his M51 pile cap. These were pretty specific to Korea, you hardly see them in any other time or theater.

GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS! Here is a stamped brass cap badge intended for an Army master sergeant, shows front and back, two screws, better made than many I've seen even in Korea and in 1960. In our company we wore only a distinctive insignia on our pile caps and Ridgeway caps. Guess those P.X. brass rank badges were worn at thew discretion of their unit commanders?

post-837-0-06531200-1370151103.jpg

post-837-0-78139100-1370151118.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sarge--

There's another topic or two floating around about these chevrons. They're definitely Korean made, I have had vets tell me that they were made from melted down brass, like the souvenir rings you sometimes see. Both Army and USMC used these, Army had a blue painted background. I have a couple at home. I know Brig has a selection of these USMC painted chevrons.

quotLeftyquotStone17thInfantryRegimentci

7th ID 1st Sgt "Lefty" Stone

Rob

Here's a whole lot more of Stone, photos and narrative.

http://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?filter=Assignment&cmd=ShadowBoxPersonPhoto&type=PersonExt&order=Sequence_desc&maxphoto=16&ID=105446&page=1

• 1 year later...

Somehow I overlooked this one...never saw a 1stSgt before, was wondering if they exist, which makes me wonder if a SgtMaj is out there

Here are mine...been trying to complete the set for years

101_6463.JPG

• 3 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Brig,

Been doing a little reading (studying the rank changes for the wide insignia display I just finished) and I think I may have an answer for our question regarding 1stSgt and SgtMaj.

The Korean war was from 1950-1953.

These particular theater-made insignia were probably made from casings in country utilizing the same molds as the Army counterparts. I think I even read somewhere that the South Koreans with whom we were fighting alongside were the ones who actually first started making these insignia for the US troops.

From 1946-1949 the USMC rank structure was as follows: E7-Pvt / E6-PFC / E5-Cpl / E4-Sgt / E3-SSgt / E2-TSgt /E1-MSgt.

In October 1949, they flipped the pay-grades around so that Private would be re-designated E-1 and MSgt would now be E-7. It stayed like this until 1954 when 1stSgt and SgtMaj were added to the rank structure alongside MSgt in grade E-7.

In January 1959 is when the current structure and insignia were put into effect (the revivial of GySgt and MGySgt and the rearranging of E-7 ranks up to the new E-8 and E-9).

If the campaign in Korea ended in 1953 then 1stSgt and SgtMaj were not in use for us during the time when the rest of these theater-made insignia were produced. The Army did however have a 1stSgt at the time which explains why we see some in this thread.

So I guess we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for a SgtMaj or 1stSgt to surface. We may be waiting forever.

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Just came across these and thought they were interesting. They are supposedly ROK ranks for their own military and the construction looks to be very similar to the US ranks we see. First image is identified by the seller as Master Sergeant on top, Sergeant 1st Class below. The second image is identified as Sergeant Major on top, ROK Navy Master Sergeant below.

post-133515-0-85815900-1420726886.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

They are not quite as crude as the US ranks, and look like they are stamped rather than cast but you can definitely see some similarities especially in the way the paint has aged. Anyway, thought it was interesting. If you want to see more check out seller HEAVYBULKER on ebay. He has some other ones but I just thought I'd share a few.

Thanks for posting the information on these chevrons. I acquired this lot today and was totally stumped until I read this topic in the forum.

Judy H.

post-152028-0-50700700-1420942310.jpg

post-152028-0-66876100-1420942338.jpg