344th BG (Silver Streaks) B-26 Gunners A-2 Grouping

JDK

I got this nice little set from a friend as part of a larger overall deal.

Sgt Sugarman was a B-26 gunner with the 344th Bomb Group 494th Bomb Squadron. His B-26 was named "Georgia's On My Mind". He flew 65 missions with the 344th from April '44 thru Sept '44. He flew 2 D-Day sorties in support of the landings. On his 65th and final mission they lost an engine and were forced down around the front lines. Luckily they were picked up by allied troops and returned to their base.

The Group:

post-2901-0-19037200-1399696512.jpg

post-2901-0-28595500-1399696535.jpg

post-2901-0-56979300-1399696552.jpg

History Man

Another stunning group JD, that A2 jacket is just too cool with the artwork on it! Thanks for posting.

Philip

Whatta group! JD, just when I think that you've posted a group that would be hard to beat (i.e. Air Apache group(s) ) you are able to top yourself with a D-Day A2 with documentation! Outstanding!

Many thanks for the compliments guys.

When it comes to bomber crew groups, Lately, I find my interest leaning towards the light groups (B-25,B-26, A-20 ect) vs the heavies.

That doesn't mean I would be afraid to pick up a nice B-17 group though if I found one! :lol:

JD

firefighter

That is one AMAZING grouping.I agree with little buddy, where is the green envy face.Great picture of him wearing the jacket.