Looking at 1945 Willys, what is it worth?

cplnorton

There is a 1945 Willys Army Jeep going up for sale near me at auction. I have always wanted one. I do not know if it runs or not, but I imagine it might.

What is a fair price to pay for this? In running condition, and also if not? I just want to make sure I have dollar amounts in mind before I go. Also what is with the tow bar in the front, is that military?

Thanks guys!

post-5589-0-72402400-1410661208.jpg

post-5589-0-59343200-1410661222.jpg

post-5589-0-19792600-1410661232.jpg

post-5589-0-07644400-1410661240.jpg

post-5589-0-02618700-1410661252.jpg

post-5589-0-43128000-1410661261.jpg

RustyCanteen

First of all, I'm using a mobile device so I can't see much detail in the photos.

What I can see either looks like a CJ-2a, or like several CJ parts have found their wayon to it. Another concern is that transmission,it looks like a T-90 rather than the T-84j an MB would have.

Is it titled?

Visit g503 for information on MB's.

I don't mind parts being swapped and stuff like that. As long as it mostly looks military from the outside. But if not original, then I shouldn't pay an original price. But how much is fair. I was thinkinging it might be worth 3 to 4 at the most, am I even close?

RustyCanteen

Well, that sure looks like an under seat tool box on the passenger side. Those didn't exist on WWIi MB's, only postwar CJs and the M38. This doesn't have the battery box on the cowl so it isn't an M-38.

And it may be the way it looks on this mobile, but I don't see the rear toolbox lids either.

AAF_Collection

I don't see any toolbox lids either RC.

Personally if I was looking for a WWII Jeep I'd stay away from this and wait for a sound original WWII example to surface at the right price,you could end up spending $$$ on this one,after which it would still be a post-war CJ(if that's what it is). My advice would be to join the G503 forum,read as much as you can on the subject and then start looking,there are some good dealers around,John at Midwest Military is one of them http://www.midwestmilitary.net/index.html

Matt.

I own a 1944 Willys and a 1948 Willys CJ-2A. That one at the auction is without a doubt a post-War civilian CJ-2A.

Cobrahistorian

Also has a 7-slot grille and you can see where the headlights flare into the grille slots. GPW/MBs have 9 slots and the headlights are smaller and don't flare into the slots.

Hey thanks guys, you saved me some money. I would have probably bid on that. Now I don't need to worry about it. :)

You received excellent advice, as usual from the great members here, and made the right decision! Nothing WWII about that Jeep...

Also probably has a F head engine as evidenced by the box on the hood. I would just keep on walking as this is not worth the time to even look at unless you specifically want a CJ2a project jeep.

RustyCanteen

I just got the chance to see this on a full sized screen, no doubt whatsoever it's a CJ-2a.

On the early CJs isnt there a data plate with CJ on it on the fire wall on the passenger side of the engine compartment?/Seems I looked at jeep a year ago and the seller said it was military and it had the CJ data plate on the firewall of the engine compartment.

Yup....CJ2A....Not Military.

I own a 1942 "Script" MB....."cplnorton"...that Jeep you are looking at in not WWII, Korea or Vietnam...if you want a Military Jeep, go to www.g503.com and go to the message board....all parts are very easy to come by....a fully restored to Master Class MVPA Standards Jeep, would fetch all of $30.00 for a "script" GPW with a few added accessories...like BC-620 and M31C Post mount with a 30 or 50 cal...these 2 items are the most common found accessories found on restored Jeeps now days....a very good running Jeep that has been restored to MVPA "Combat Class" standards can be picked up for $15 - $20.000

1A291E