13th Med Battalion Chaplain Kit

Chap15

post-1429-1206803863.jpg

Here is a salty 1951 dated chaplain kit. All I know about the chaplain is that he was in WWII with the 13th medical battalion. Does anyone know more about this battalion?

His serial number is right for WWII. I don't know his Korea record.

Any help please.

Reminds me of "The Longest Day" when the preacher (Roddey MacDowell?) goes diving for his kit.

The movie had it almost right. In the movie he was British. In real life it was Chaplain Sampson with the 101st. He lost his kit again at Market Garden. He jumped again in Korea with the 187th. He lost it again. When he made General he designed a jumper friendly kit. See my thread in the collections this weekend...I will post the type of kit he had.

Jeffrey Magut

Found some interesting info about the chaplain.

Former Hampton Minister Meets Local GI in Germany

Major Nathaniel C. Warburton Visits Sgt John M. Holman

Gablingen Kaserne, Germany -- 1952-53

Major Nathaniel C. Warburton, former minister of the United Methodist Church of Hampton, now assigned to the 28th Infantry Division as Division Chaplain in Germany, recently made a trip to Gablingen Kaserne, outside of Gershoven, home of the 109th Infantry Regiment, and visited with Sgt. John M. Holman, in the Personnel Office, there. They reminiscence of many happenings and people they both know in Hampton during the past years.

Major Warburton and Sgt. Holman see each other quite often on Field Maneuvers, as Major Warburton tours the Regiments to talk with the various Regimental Chaplains in the field during the exercises.

In 1953, Major Warburton has been reassigned as the assistant chaplain of the Bremerhaven Port of Embarkation, Germany.

A native of Lynn, Massachusetts, Chaplain Warburton received his Bachelor of Science degree from Boston University's School of Religious Education and Social Science, and his Bachelor of Theology degree at the Boston University School of Theology. He was commissioned in 1942 after attending in Chaplains' School at Harvard University.

And from the WWII Memorial registry

Nathaniel C. Warburton, Jr.

BRANCH OF SERVICE

U.S. Army

HOMETOWN

Lynn, MA

HONORED BY

David C. Warburton, Son

ACTIVITY DURING WWII

CHAPLAIN. 13TH MOUNTAIN MEDICAL BATTALION - CHINA-BURMA-INDIA.

Jim,

It looks to me like the 13th Medical Battalion was sent to Burma. The unit's mail address was A.P.O. 689 and the APO directory had them listed at Ledo, Assam, India.

I noticed that there was a unit history privately printed for "D" Company titled "Mission Burma" and lists the unit as the 13th Mountain Medical Bettalion rather than 13th Medical Battalion. Whether it officially had a "Mountain" designation is something you'll have to pursue further as I was only aware of 10th Mountain Division units having the "Mountain" designation.

Hope this helps!

Allan

• 5 months later...

I have some cool stuff from the 13th Med Bn

It was a pack unit,most of it served with Chinese units in Burma but D Coy(Vet) served with MARS

Ill check the records later in the week as im in the middle of a move

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Some info I recently found out about this battalion.

13th MED BN – Nov 43 Burma (helped support the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional) aka Merrill’s Marauders, originally trained as a MED BN for the Arctic, redesignated 13th MTN MED BN, 7 Nov 44)

• 4 years later...

Hi Chap 15,

I know this is an old post. I found it by a google search for this exact item. Rev. Warburton was my grandfather and I was entrusted with this particular item. It was lost during a move that I was not a part of and have been searching a long time for it as it has great family value. I am not sure how else to appropriately contact you and hope you can and will respond. Thank you in advance.

B. Ward

The movie had it almost right. In the movie he was British. In real life it was Chaplain Sampson with the 101st. He lost his kit again at Market Garden. He jumped again in Korea with the 187th. He lost it again. When he made General he designed a jumper friendly kit. See my thread in the collections this weekend...I will post the type of kit he had.

I knew Father Sampson.He told me once he had a habit of landing in water when he jumped.He related the time in England on a practice jump he landed in a moat...He was a great individual.

Hi Chap 15,

I know this is an old post. I found it by a google search for this exact item. Rev. Warburton was my grandfather and I was entrusted with this particular item. It was lost during a move that I was not a part of and have been searching a long time for it as it has great family value. I am not sure how else to appropriately contact you and hope you can and will respond. Thank you in advance.

B. Ward

B. Ward.

I am sorry to hear what happened.

Perhaps we can work something out.

Do you have a police report, or insurance claim about what happened?

Perhaps there are some other military id items left by your Grandfather you would be willing to post?

I look forward to hearing from you,

• 4 months later...
bradleyjward

I am so glad you answered. I didn't see the "follow" option so didn't know about the reply until yesterday. Needless to say I was excited and contacted my mother to find out what other items we have. I haven't received pictures of all we have now but I will post a couple of interesting items. First is a picture of my grandfather receiving his major leaves from General Matthew Ridgeway. Date is unknown but we believe that it was during the Korean War.

post-151769-0-76455500-1405283730.jpg

bradleyjward

This second picture is with his family upon their return from Japan in 1952. My mother is the girl on the far left. She will be providing me with pictures of dog tags and his military stole. We also have numerous letters that he wrote while in WWII as well as a great article written upon his death about his political activities after retiring from the UM Church. I can post these at a later date.

This case was accidentally left behind when my family moved from Richmond, IN in 2002. When I found it missing, we were unable to retrieve it. I have conducted random Google searches since then in hopes of finding it. I must say that I am glad it is in the hands of someone who truly appreciates its value.

Also. I did follow your link and saw your display of numerous military clergy items. Is this piece part of that display? Do you let others come and look at it?

Thank you again for your reply

post-151769-0-83952700-1405284067.jpg

Nice pics. Yes, I set it up at events or where I serve.

Interesting that he was in Japan. I am currently in Japan.

I look forward to seeing the letters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

B. Ward.

I am sorry to hear what happened.

Perhaps we can work something out.

Do you have a police report, or insurance claim about what happened?

Perhaps there are some other military id items left by your Grandfather you would be willing to post?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Mr. Ward,
Your grandfather's kit is currently on display at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation in Sevierville, TN. It's a prominent element in a permanent exhibit called "Faith and Courage - A Tribute to US Military Chaplains".
I'd like to speak with you about either getting more information about your grandfather to display with the kit to further honor his memory, or about getting the kit returned to your family.
I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by including my email address for you to contact me directly — [email protected]. I don't know any other way to put us in touch. I've tried to locate you outside of the forum, but have only found out of date phone numbers and street addresses.
Looking forward to making your acquaintance.
Thank you,
Tom
Hope to hear from you soon.