Parachute help

Sparty On

This small parachute came in a recent lot but I'm not sure what it would have been used for? I was hoping someone could shed some light on this. The square frame in the last photo measures about 12" x 12".

post-104736-0-03882200-1369788924.jpg

pararaftanr2

Sparty On,

Your item is a "pilot parachute" from a USAAF B-8 back type parachute. To quote the manual (T.O. NO. 13-5-5, September 10, 1943):

"To facilitate the opening of the canopy, a small parachute (36-inch diameter), known as a pilot parachute, is attached to the apex of the canopy. When the rip cord is pulled, the pilot parachute is projected into the airstream and immediately filled with air,drawing the canopy out of the pack into position for opening." "Parachute B-8 is equipped with pilot parachute, drawing No. 43G14996."

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Paul

Hello Paul,

It's makes perfect sense and I thought it may have something to do with that. Thanks for the info!

Mime

northcoastaero

There is a book called The Parachute Manual Vol. 1 by Dan Poynter. It is a great reference source with part numbers. This pilot chute may be for other parachute assy's. also?

There is a book called The Parachute Manual Vol. 1 by Dan Poynter. It is a great reference source with part numbers. This pilot chute may be for other parachute assy's. also?

I agree, that's pretty big to be the pilot chute for a reserve canopy.

pararaftanr2

Mime,

You are very welcome. Glad to be of help.

rr01,

Just to be clear, this is for a back type parachute, not a reserve. The excellent 303rd Bomb Group web site has a page on parachutes which shows an unpacked B-8 with the pilot chute both folded and open. The photos are copyrighted, but here is a link to the page: http://www.303rdbg.com/uniforms-gear7.html

Best regards, Paul

Mime,

You are very welcome. Glad to be of help.

rr01,

Just to be clear, this is for a back type parachute, not a reserve. The excellent 303rd Bomb Group web site has a page on parachutes which shows an unpacked B-8 with the pilot chute both folded and open. The photos are copyrighted, but here is a link to the page: http://www.303rdbg.com/uniforms-gear7.html

Best regards, Paul

Okay, thanks. I don't know why I fixated on reserves since I just finished "Silken Angels" about the early testing of bailout chutes.