163rd Infantry/ Japanese Helmet Bringback

Theorywolf

Theorywolf

This is my first Japanese helmet and I'm very proud to have it! The helmet was a bringback from the war in the Southwest Pacific by a Vet of Company I, 163rd Inf., 41st Division. The 163rd was a Montana National Guard unit. They were one of the lead units for General Douglas MacArthur's "Island Hopping" fighting in the Southwest Pacific. MacArthur was with the 163rd on one of their Island landings. The Japanese nicknamed the unit, "The Butchers!"

The helmet is named to the unit and has the name of all the Islands and ports that they visited from New Guinea to the Philippines to their occupation duty on Hiro. I was able to get a history of the 163rd Infantry from an author in Montana.

Cheers,

Mike

post-576-0-33011500-1369682592.jpg

The 41st Inf Div has a great history that was published just after the war. It should be pretty widely available yet. The 163rd is referenced very often.

Theorywolf

Thanks guys! I do have a roster for the 163ed in the local book I got fom Montana. It is made from interviews with vets of the 163rd. It is titled, From Poplar to Paupa New Guina.

Cheers,

Mike