WWI/WWII Coast Guard Hat?

ChopperGunner92

ChopperGunner92

What year would you say this hat is from? WWI, WWII, 1920s? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

post-72854-0-70494300-1369682417.jpg

I think maybe later, '60s-'70s, after the CG dropped the blue flat hat along with the Navy. They were still wearing this type of hat up into '75.

I think maybe later, '60s-'70s, after the CG dropped the blue flat hat along with the Navy. They were still wearing this type of hat up into '75.

Based on the maker, "Art Caps", I would agree on that time frame. I tend to associate that maker with 1960's and newer headgear.

• 5 years later...
SemperParatus

I was in 65-69 and I do remember SAs just iout of boot camp coming aboard who wore this flat hat. I am not sure when they started to issue them in boot camp, I was in Hotel 57 and we did not get them so it was after that so perhaps late 65 or 66. I do remember that there was an overall dislike for the new hat, I was one who liked

the flat hat and thought it a positive image for the uniform.

USCG, issued between spring 1967 and discontinued by Sept 1976 when the shift to the current CG uniform became mandatory. Original replacement cost was about $7.50. Kind of pricey for the times. You tended to take good care of the thing. I still have mine, issued in May 1967

The CG Honor Guard tested these caps prior to the 1967 all hands issue. Originally came with two cloth covers but you could buy a plastic cover at the exchange.

The USN did a test model of this cap in the mid 1950's but apparently it went over like a fart in church. With all E-6 and below in the unisex blue uniform, I think it would be a distinctive addition to the current USN uniform..

• 2 years later...
southboothbay

I wore this hat 71-76.   boot camp delta 82 till i got out. New guys in 73-74were getting the new bus driver outfits   Whec 720 Sherman, cutter Wlm 545 White Heath,133'bouy tender, Pt Allerton small boats 44' 40's  then up north   Wytm 72 Yankton 110'tug   Wytl 65609  Shackle 65'small tug    small boats 44' 40's Base So Portland