Safe for long-term display

Mitter2k1

I posted a question in displays asking about what everyone uses to make their ammo pouches and belts look full. I am aware of putting any unnecessary weight on the object and now I am searching for what is archival safe to use in this situation. I had used cardboard until I was informed that I shouldn't due to it not fitting the criteria. So I am looking for something relatively light weight and good for long term use. Any ideas for this? Thanks

Here is a link to the other post

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/177614-Filling-out-that-empty-gear

Most craft stores or art supply houses will have acid free papers in heavier weights that you could cut and fold to make inserts.

Frank

hawkdriver

In my packs, I have whatever was carried by the soldiers. Underwear, personal effects, whatever strikes my fancy. These items were built and designed for combat use, so as long as you aren't carrying bricks, you are not going to strain them.

I actually use most of my gear, rather than display it. I have a gear rack that I built to hold my web gear when not in use, but I just keep the stuff that would normally be in it if I were humpin' it in 'Nam.

That being said, I stuff paper from shoe purchases in my ammo pouches.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Since all of my gear so far is from WWI, I guess that I am just a little more worried about any possible reactions it may have. I think the cardboard will be ok once I wrap it in some cotton cloth like a clean t-shirt. Currently I do have my stuff on display on a peg board. And nothing is too stressed in any area. I guess I may be worrying too much. But I am relatively new to collecting and don't want to make any unnecessary mistakes. Thanks again

NO CARDBOARD!! it has acid in it,,,go to Joann Fabrics or something similar and purchase several yards of unbleached cotton muslin

you can roll it up,, do whatever you want with it,,it is safe,,safe safe!

also good for wrapping ANYTHING you want prserved,,,cheap an light,,I wrap all my flags and cloth items,,even daggers with it

I am going to be buying a pair of near mint boondockers from a local seller and he has cardbooard (roled up not crumpled in balls to wear it could cut up the inside) is this bad for them or does it matter.

hawkdriver

I am going to be buying a pair of near mint boondockers from a local seller and he has cardbooard (roled up not crumpled in balls to wear it could cut up the inside) is this bad for them or does it matter.

I use old military wool socks to stuff my boots with and then roll up a pair and put in the top and tie the laces creating a decent seal.

slh3qr.jpg

For my WWI boots, I used a set of period puttees

2rp5vs1.jpg

I use old military wool socks to stuff my boots with and then roll up a pair and put in the top and tie the laces creating a decent seal.

Ok thanks. When I get them I will take out the cardboard and put in wool socks and tie the laces.

That is a very cool way of protecting your boots. Looks good too!

• 1 month later...
Tasken_Lander

I don't follow...

So storing inert M1 ammo in enblocs in cardboard sleeves inside mint bandoleers can cause damage to the fabric of the bandoleers??

Someone PLEASE explain/help.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I don't follow...

So storing inert M1 ammo in enblocs in cardboard sleeves inside mint bandoleers can cause damage to the fabric of the bandoleers??

Someone PLEASE explain/help.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Ok this is my understanding. Cardboard is acidic and may pose an issue when exposed to textiles. Whether that is web gear, cloth or whatever. So over the long term, this may weaken material. This is just my understanding. Maybe someone more scientific will weigh in and break it down further.

Tasken_Lander

Ah.

Well, if I've purchased mint unused M1 bandoleers from WWII with flattened, unused cardboard inserts inside them. Surely if, after 70 odd years of sitting in there, if the cardboard inserts haven't done anything to the fabric of the bandoleer then they should pose no serious threat, no?

You may very well be right. But there are some that treat everything with extra care, and that is ok. If you are concerned, you could use some unbleached 100% cotton muslin to put between the bandolier and the cardboard. I'm not saying it will have issues. But as with anything, it's better err on the side of caution. That is the approach I'm taking because I don't want any surprises and I definitely do not want to have to invest in something for a second time. I bought 5 yds of muslin and I think it only cost $10-$20 with some coupon the wife had. Cheaper than another ammo belt in my opinion.

foxcompany1944

I would highly suggest using acid free tissue, it fills up space and it doesn't effect items like cardboard, newspaper, and old clothing does.

Hope this helped,

Daniel