Filling out that empty gear

Mitter2k1

I have a question for everyone, and I apologize if this has already been covered or part of this should be posted in preservation. When you display an ammo belt on a mannequin, what do you guys use to give the pockets a "full" look? I know I could use dummy ammo or even empty brass on stripper clips, but I'm worried about the brass corroding or adding unneeded weight. I currently have a mounted ammo belt that I cut some cardboard to fit the pockets and the same for the pistol mag pouch. Plus this route would save the unnecessary weight from being placed on the gear and uniform. Is this a no-no, or safe for the long haul? Also anyone with a M1910 haversack display, what do you do when you don't actually have a full pack of original equipment? I'm looking for a way to also give it a full look minus all the equipment actually being inside. I think what I am going for would be called the "short roll" (no shelter half or rations) Ideas and input are greatly appreciated. Thank You

jayhawkhenry

Over time, the acids in the cardboard could discolor the item, or absorb moisture and cause molding. I sometimes use scrap material, old white tee shirt or un bleached muslin. Looks ok and is safer that many materials. Polly fiber batting may also be ok to use, but I have not looked into it too deeply. The full pack is more of a challenge. I think Styrofoam blocks covered with a vapor barrier and acid free cloth would do the trick.

Preservation is part common sense and part science. You want to reduce unnecessary strain on materials, control humidity, prevent damage from corrosion (oxidation) caused when certain materials come in contact with each other. Like brass & leather, metal & canvas, oils & cloth. Sometimes tough to do if displaying assembled equipment.

Good luck with your display. Post some photos when your done.

Thanks, I will definitely be making a change then. What about using the acid-free foam board cut to fit and layered then wrapped in a safe, inert cloth? Or is only the paper part of the foam board acid-free and I still have the possibility of off gassing from the foam itself?

jayhawkhenry

You nailed it. The paper part is acid free, the foam may be a problem. your plan of using inert cloth is a good idea.

Good luck.

agate hunter

I just stuff some extra clothes or towels in a haversack to make it full. They're not that big so it doesn't take much to fill them.

A friend of mine cut up some wedge-shaped wood blocks, painted 'em dark grey and uses them as fillers in his rifle belt pockets. Does the job!

Thanks everyone for the reply. Sabrejet, it the paint going to be a long-term concern? I know I am getting deeper into the hobby, but I would like to avoid making a mistake. Any thoughts?

So don't paint the wood! I think you're in grave danger of driving yourself insane worrying about the consequences of every little action! Example....collectors go on about the potential dangers of using polystyrene heads to display helmets because of their chemical make up. I've got mint WW2 helmets which have been on polystyrene heads for 20+ years in some cases. The sweatbands which are in contact with the polystyrene 24/7 are still in perfect condition. I don't lose any sleep over it. They're already 70+ years old and will certainly out-live me! ;)

So don't paint the wood! I think you're in grave danger of driving yourself insane worrying about the consequences of every little action! Example....collectors go on about the potential dangers of using polystyrene heads to display helmets because of their chemical make up. I've got mint WW2 helmets which have been on polystyrene heads for 20+ years in some cases. The sweatbands which are in contact with the polystyrene 24/7 are still in perfect condition. I don't lose any sleep over it. They're already 70+ years old and will certainly out-live me! ;)

You are right. I think I may be going too far. Most of my small collection is WWI and it has lasted this long. I think that I may be able to do the cardboard. I'll wrap it with some cotton fabric to create a "barrier" between the ammo belt and cardboard and call it done. Thanks for your always sound advice.

I have used bubble-wrap, folded into the rectangular or other shape required. If worried about chemical seepage, just wrap them with acid-free paper -- such as some stores (crockery, household stuff) have in great supply at the check-out lanes. A musette filled with bubble-wrap is quite light.

hawkdriver

I have live ammunition in some of mine, in others, I have the wood blocks. In the ammunition pouches, I actually use magazines. One option is to use injection moulded plastic replicas, they can be had on eBay. If you don't want the expense, just use cloth or wood like others have suggested.

Tasken_Lander

I'm not sure I understand the danger of the cardboard embloc sleeves... Does this 'rule of thumb' apply the same to inert 30 cal ammunition in M1 bandoleers?

Captainofthe7th

I use wood blocks as well on anything I need to fill out like cartridge belts. In haversacks and larger bags I use miscellaneous extra clothing, so it works like extra storage.

Rob

Thanks for all of the insight. I picked up some unbleached, 100% cotton muslin and some acid free paper. The paper was from an art sketch book. So I am cutting, folding, and stuffing my 3 WWI ammo belts. Thanks again for the replies. Mike M