Captured German Dogtag taken by Stalag Luft 1 POW Barth Germany

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

This is a souvenir acquired by an American POW who was liberated from Stalag Luft 1 at Barth Germany in May,1945.

The German dogtag is from Feld-Flakartillerie-Schule 11 (Mitte) in Barth Germany, which was located right next to the POW camp.

What I find interesting is that it is tag #1 !

I wonder who it belonged to?

MVC-006L.JPG

MVC-007L.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Hi Robin

Its definatly a dogtag. The Germans used a unit code and an ID # within the unit for the tags in WWII. They did not put names on the tags.

Its serrated so if the wearer was killed, the tag could be broken in half. 1 half stayed with the body, the other kept.

Kurt

KASTAUFFER

The Bundesarchiv has the numbers, but I have never tried to research one. I know when they find MIA remains with tags the German Archives has generally been able to ID them from the tag info.

Japanese tags are the same way. They don't have names.

Kurt

The numbers were entered in the soldiers Soldbuch, which he carried, and in a Wehrpass, which was kept at the unit. IIRC, when a soldier went on leave, he traded the Soldbuch for the Wehrpass while he was away from the unit. These documents traveled with him as he transferred from unit to unit.

Mark sends

• 11 months later...
Simon Lerenfort

This is a souvenir acquired by an American POW who was liberated from Stalag Luft 1 at Barth Germany in May,1945.

The German dogtag is from Feld-Flakartillerie-Schule 11 (Mitte) in Barth Germany, which was located right next to the POW camp.

What I find interesting is that it is tag #1 !

I wonder who it belonged to?

attachicon.gifMVC-006L.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-007L.JPG

It's possible that as this is numbered "1" of the Stabs Bataillon that it might be the Battalion commander. There may be information on him at the National Archives or the Bundesarchiv. Personal information from the Deutsches Dienstelle is only available to family/relatives.

A nice souvenir with great provenance too.

Regards,

Simon

• 2 years later...
Gunslinger

German ID-disc are next to impossible to ID to specific person it would have been issued, due to the fact the Germans used a very complex system for identification. To my knowledge no one has ever been able to ID any disc to a person it would have been issued through this system.

CDub

Germans are nuts about data protection, so they aren't going to give you any information on the owner of dog tags unless you are related.

• 2 years later...