101st A/B Div. D-Day (Reinforced) Suit: F Co. 506 PIR

Schrage Musik

Schrage Musik

Some of you have already read about my collecting habits from my earlier post today that depicted a 1st-Production Hawley Parachutist Fibre Liner. That gem of a liner is indeed one of the numerous great rarities I am fortunate enough to own. But this reinforced set is something I am equally proud and grateful to have in my collection.

This suit belonged to Pvt. Norman Trimble, who served as a rifleman with Fox Co. 506th PIR, and he made the D-Day jump, Holland, and later fought at Bastogne. The 101st SSI was removed from the left sleeve at some point, but I located this in one of the pockets. This suit is part of a larger grouping of items from Pvt. Trimble, which includes another para jacket w/ a rare variant 101st SSI, photos of Pvt. Trimble, the arm flag worn in Holland, various overseas caps, including one made in officer's elastique w/ para oval that Pvt. Trimble is wearing in a portrait photo (along with the extra jacket in the grouping), plus a pair of jump boots dated 1942.

The suit is "text book" in every way, being fully consistent with the typical examples known to be genuine. The suit has that scent, feel and brownish discoloration I am very familiar with as found on items dipped in CC-2 gas impregnation; in fact, I have a set of long underwear that was dipped in CC-2 and it matches this suit in every way. But, as with many great collectibles, obtaining consensus isn't always across the board; while no knowledgeable collector disputes the genuineness of the suit and reinforcing work, not all agree on the presence of CC-2. So I will state that it is my educated opinion that the suit displays telltale signs of CC-2, and other knowledgeable collectors share that opinion, but it will take lab analysis to conclusively prove any claim or counter-claim. Such analysis won't be that difficult, as one only needs to test for one or two elements, and I'm getting in the mood to have this done this year.

This is the finest reinforced set I was ever able to locate, being as close to how it would have appeared on the evening of 5 June 1944. Enjoy the photos at the following link or paste this directly into your browser address window:

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/schrage_musik/library/D-Day%20101st%20Reinforced%20Set%20F-506%20PIR

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

History Preservation Associates

Post Office Box 1450

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-0059

Ph: 856-489-8103

Fx: 856-489-8104

E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.historypreservation.com

Schrage Musik

Thank you for the kind sentiments; I'm glad you're enjoying my items.

This isn't even the the tip of the berg! I'll post more uniform rarities and never-before-published helmets as time allows ...

Thank you for the kind sentiments; I'm glad you're enjoying my items.

This isn't even the the tip of the berg! I'll post more uniform rarities and never-before-published helmets as time allows ...

Oh man! Can't wait to see more!

Looks like a great set

Hopefully you can add the pictures directly to the forum.As in many cases once the PB pic or account go away the thrad has no refferance pictures.

Doyler, if you haven't seen it already, I added all the photos of said item in the other Topic, this guy has three separate topics posted for the same item on this, I asked the member if I could copy and add the photos, and just picked one of the three to add the photos.

Schrage Musik

This one topic was duplicated under a different title, for which I apologize. I have two different 101st reinforced suits posted under two different topic titles, both of which are correctly titled, but the third topic title beginning with the word "AWESOME" is a duplication of this same suit and should be deleted if I could.

This one topic was duplicated under a different title, for which I apologize. I have two different 101st reinforced suits posted under two different topic titles, both of which are correctly titled, but the third topic title beginning with the word "AWESOME" is a duplication of this same suit and should be deleted if I could.

I got ya Now, even I was confused, I posted the pants along with the other one with the map overlay :o I will now add the photos for this specific uniform, perhaps the mods when they delete the third Duplicate Topic, they can delete the last three photos I added in that topic, photos which rightly belong here.

post-34986-0-10753000-1369536674.jpg

Jacket and trousers worn by Pvt. Norman Trimble 101st F/506 PIR. 101st SSI was removed but is in a pocket. Leg ties and reinforcements are correct fabrics and sewn correctly.
post-34986-0-56699700-1369536710.jpg
This is the reinforced jacket belong to Pvt. Norman Trimble. This is all part of a larger grouping that includes a non-reinforced jacket w/ rare 101st variant SSI; the 101st SSI as worn on this jacket was removed and I located it in a pocket
PS. Can we see the Screaming Eagles patch?

post-34986-0-48287500-1369520717.jpg

Pvt. Norman Trimble's name and service number inside trouser waistband. Off-white interior lining twill appears brownish, as if tea stained.

post-34986-0-09029700-1369520708.jpg

The scent, feel and discoloration lead me to believe this suit still has signs of CC-2.

Hi

WOW the holy grail of airborne collecting a named, re enforced, jumped in, been there jump suit.....

Thank you sharing the pictures.

Regards

Tom

Schrage Musik

Thank you all for your kind sentiments and appreciation of these great items I feel very grateful to own.

Patches requested some photos of the SSI from the jackets, so I'll post these in a new topic in the uniform section (because they relate to this uniform). Please look for this topic: Combat Vet. Pvt. Norman L. Trimble: F Co. 506th PIR.

Patches, if you or the mods. can link the new topic's photos to this topic, you have my permission, which would be really great to keep it all together.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Charles DiSipio
Post Office Box 1450

Schrage Musik

I now have various other photos pertaining to this grouping posted in their full-size versions at the same Photo Bucket link as found in the topic intro. I began:

http://s1299.photobu...d Set F-506 PIR

I will also attempt to add these same images to this topic via the reply link, though the images will be much smaller to conform with the forum requirements. Thanks go out to Patches for his kind help.

msg-34986-0-97823000-1369682607.jpg

Pvt. Norman L. Trimble of Massachusetts. The studio photo is dated on the back Dec. 10, 1943; Norman was probably home on leave.

Note the officer's overseas cap in OD Shade 51. The piping and Parachutist Cap Badge are both infantry blue, but the badge is being worn on the right side as was the practice for officers.

Parachutist Qualification Badge is worn above the left pocket of the Parachutist Coat.

The coat's main zipper is rather rare, being the non-spring loaded Crown brand with Crown's famous chevron teeth. The Crown name is marked on the zipper puller and it runs diagonally from upper left to lower right, if you look closely (the studio lighting allows enough of a shadow to fall on the puller, highlighting the raised lettering in the name Crown). Also noteworthy are the chest pockets of the coat, which are set at a distinctly more-slanted pitch than some other para jackets (close examination of vintage jackets reveals two different pitches for the chest pockets, one of which is decidedly more angled).

When I asked Earl McLung of Easy Co. 506th PIR if he knew Trimble, he informed me that the two often played cards together. I then asked Earl to describe Trimble, and one of the distinctive points he mentioned were "jug-handle ears that stood out." I then showed Earl this photo, and he immediately recognized his old card-playing partner, saying "That's Trimble. Look at those ears."

Schrage Musik

msg-34986-0-55460200-1369682265.jpg

The 101st SSI originally sewn to this jacket was found in one of the jacket pockets. You can clearly see the empty stitch holes on the jacket. If you look closely at the SSI, you can see the unusual manner in which this was sewn, whereby the stitching was applied rather crudely by hand, just down in and back up and out on the SSI, and only on the thinner, softer areas of the SSI, just inside of the heavier border.
The empty stitch holes match up perfectly to the stitch marks and spacing on the SSI. Pvt. Trimble was no tailor; it seems he just wanted to get the sewing done and over with quickly. Lazy or just too many more important things to do before the Normandy jump?

Schrage Musik

msg-34986-0-61691300-1369682944.jpg

Empty stitch holes that perfectly align with the stitch marks on the SSI found in the pocket.

Schrage Musik

msg-34986-0-45281900-1369682555.jpg

The main zippers on para jackets are, most typically, Talon brand, followed by Conmar. Crown, Kwik and Prentice zippers are all more scarce than Talon and Conmar, and follow in scarcity by the order in which I listed them.

This jacket can be further matched to the one Trimble wears in the studio photo via the non-spring loaded Crown zipper with chevron-shaped teeth, as well as the chest pockets, which are the more-slanted type vs. those also found with far less of a slanted pitch.

Schrage Musik

msg-34986-0-38045100-1369682956.jpg

The Crown name appears on the zipper puller at a diagonal pitch, precisely matching the zipper of the jacket Trimble wears in the studio photo.

Schrage Musik

msg-34986-0-67921100-1369682189.jpg

Trimble's photograph with the exact same cap and jacket as worn in the photo. This isn't the first time I've encountered an EM with an officer's overseas cap w/ the EM's colored piping, though I consider this practice rare.

The 101st AB Div. SSI is a less-common variant with the twill backing connecting the "Airborne" tab to the eagle-head shield. Though I have Trimble's jump wings, they may not be the set in the photo, thus aren't displayed here (the wings I have feature two stars for the two combat jumps Trimble made - Normandy and Holland).

Schrage Musik

The few other items in this grouping will have to wait for another day.

Please enjoy the photos and story ...

Best regards,
Charles DiSipio
Post Office Box 1450

• 2 months later...

Wow! That jump suit is in fantastic condition. And named to a D-day veteran, too. That is worthy of being a centerpiece in any airborne collection!

Absolutely beautiful grouping. I was privelidged to spend last weekend with two F/506 veterans, Bob Noody and Merlin Shennum and the author of the upcoming book about Fox Company, Terry Poyser.

• 6 months later...

Some of you have already read about my collecting habits from my earlier post today that depicted a 1st-Production Hawley Parachutist Fibre Liner. That gem of a liner is indeed one of the numerous great rarities I am fortunate enough to own. But this reinforced set is something I am equally proud and grateful to have in my collection.

This suit belonged to Pvt. Norman Trimble, who served as a rifleman with Fox Co. 506th PIR, and he made the D-Day jump, Holland, and later fought at Bastogne. The 101st SSI was removed from the left sleeve at some point, but I located this in one of the pockets. This suit is part of a larger grouping of items from Pvt. Trimble, which includes another para jacket w/ a rare variant 101st SSI, photos of Pvt. Trimble, the arm flag worn in Holland, various overseas caps, including one made in officer's elastique w/ para oval that Pvt. Trimble is wearing in a portrait photo (along with the extra jacket in the grouping), plus a pair of jump boots dated 1942.

The suit is "text book" in every way, being fully consistent with the typical examples known to be genuine. The suit has that scent, feel and brownish discoloration I am very familiar with as found on items dipped in CC-2 gas impregnation; in fact, I have a set of long underwear that was dipped in CC-2 and it matches this suit in every way. But, as with many great collectibles, obtaining consensus isn't always across the board; while no knowledgeable collector disputes the genuineness of the suit and reinforcing work, not all agree on the presence of CC-2. So I will state that it is my educated opinion that the suit displays telltale signs of CC-2, and other knowledgeable collectors share that opinion, but it will take lab analysis to conclusively prove any claim or counter-claim. Such analysis won't be that difficult, as one only needs to test for one or two elements, and I'm getting in the mood to have this done this year.

This is the finest reinforced set I was ever able to locate, being as close to how it would have appeared on the evening of 5 June 1944. Enjoy the photos at the following link or paste this directly into your browser address window:

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/schrage_musik/library/D-Day%20101st%20Reinforced%20Set%20F-506%20PIR

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

Post Office Box 1450

E-mail: [email protected]

Is this trooper mentioned in the new book that is out about Fox Company? It would be really interesting to read up on his story.