Civil War USN Dahlgren Bayonet Museum Deaquisition

tigerfan

Recently acquired this nice original civil war USN Dahlgren bayonet. It was from a museum deaquisition from the Rochester Historical Society and was part of a very large collection that was donated to the society in 1910.

post-2609-0-71813000-1369502345.jpg

post-2609-0-48380100-1369502357.jpg

That is really nice.Great blade, w/ a beautiful scabbard to boot. Thanks for showing. Have yet to actually handle or see one. SKIP

Wow...NICE! The mother in law of a guy I work with picked one up with a scabbard at a garage sale. While it's not anywhere as beautiful as this one, the price was right: $10. She gave it to my co-workers' son who has absolutely no interest in it, except for the monetary value (after I gave them an idea what they were selling for). I told them that if they ever want to sell it, let me know!

ron norman

This always bothers me when I see a Museum selling items that were donated to them. I usually advise the DONOR to get a reverter clause that the family would be offered the item to be returned first. Now if the items are given and the Museum accepts them with the right to sell or trade them that would be somthing different.

Somthing to think about.

Ron Norman

Hi Ron,

I hear what you are saying, but according to the original post this bayonet was donated to the museum over 100 years ago. Rather than letting it sit in storage, I'd rather see it go to a collector like tigerfan who apreciates it. And in turn, the museum got funds that they probably need badly.

• 7 years later...
Bob Williams

First I would like to thank the militaria forum for accepting my request to join such a knowledgeable group of colleagues who share my passion for keeping our great history alive.  I have an affiliation with the Library and Museum of Confederate History in Greenville, SC and encourage everyone to visit the website.  This particular discussion on the authenticity of Dahlgren Bayonets has proved to be a tremendous asset in distinguishing the reproductions from the genuine ones.  Such detailed photos of pieces with well documented provenance has been instrumental in the education of accurate identification and I would welcome any additional photos of examples with documented provenance.  Again, thank you.  Bob Williams