1st Production Hawley Parachutist Fibre Liner

My collection is strictly WWII, with a heavy focus on U. S. forces, though I own Luftwaffe, RAF, and Brit. Commando, and I have owned German Heer and W-SS, too. I try to remain disciplined in what I buy, but sometimes the devil gets the best of me and I stray, which is easy to do when one appreciates all aspects of WWII history. The vast majority of my collection has focussed on completing entire ensembles exactly as it would have been worn at the time, right down to the bits in the pockets, and then the remainder of the collection can be divided into two other camps: The study collection, which consists of items that can only be described as the finest examples of their kind in unmodified, unadorned, factory-like condition and intended for study, as well as enjoyment, and then there are are those items that just are too darn neat to pass up. I'm not a helmet or headgear collector per se, but I do have a fair amount of that which falls into this category, and some of these pieces fall into the camps of the study collection.

I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to obtain what I have, some of which goes back to my youthful collecting days in the fun-filled 1970s. Between the pieces of documented history and those items in pristine condition, it's a fair to say I've enjoyed owning some very, very rare, desirable items. I don't know what the rarest item might be, and there's always the battle between an item's rarity and it's desirability in the collecting community: Sometimes an item might have a consensus as rare, but there may be only three individuals in the world who appreciate it. But the photos that now follow are of an item I think that stands out as one of my rarest and most desirable pieces.

This is the 1st-Production Hawley Parachutist Fibre Liner, in as near-to-new condition as I am aware may exist in any of the top collections privy to me. I think there's unanimity in saying any Hawley liner is rare, and any Hawley Parachutist Liner is about as rare as it gets in U. S. combat helmet liners of WWII, being part of only 42, 000 produced. The 1st production Hawley liners are distinguished by having brass rectangular washers for the rayon webbing, and with brass rationed very early in 1942, surely few Hawley liners were outfitted with brass washers. But a Hawley Parachutist Liner with brass washers is truly one of but a fraction so produced. I have never heard of another Hawley Parachutist Fibre Liner extant with brass washers. And to see one in this condition, it still makes me as woozy thinking about it as the day I first saw it.

This was purchased about 12 years ago from a fellow who had obtained it from the veteran's estate. Unfortunately, very little was known about the veteran other than he served in the 513th PIR, reached senior officer rank, and saw combat in Europe (based on the ribbon bars I also received, w/ the ETO ribbon having an arrowhead). I was given a fragment of his last name, which was as best the seller could recall seeing on the veteran's trunk. I looked at some 513th PIR rosters from the unit's time in combat and no name came close, though no rosters are really ever complete. It's very possible this veteran didn't stay in the 513th PIR, and it's my guess that this liner may well have been left stateside due to the fine condition it is in. The chin cup, nape strap and sweatband are all original, and they are original to the liner; the chin cup is fully intact but it is delicate around some of the adjustment holes that were repeatedly used (and have widened from use).

The photos are found at this link to an album on Photo Bucket (if the link doesn't work, please paste it into your browser address bar): http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/schrage_musik/library/

I hope you enjoy the photos. And since this piece just doesn't fit in with any combat ensemble in my collection, I am going to begin looking for its new home.

Best regards,
Charles DiSipio
History Preservation Associates
Post Office Box 1450
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-0059
Ph: 856-489-8103
Fx: 856-489-8104
E-mail: hpa_rep@comcast.net
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great liner, i sent you a pm.

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

post-8016-0-48641800-1578110344.jpeg

Wow! I had no clue those were ever made. Did Hood Rubber or St Clair ever make para liners?

Really great liner.

St. Clair made early liners. I'm lucky enough to have one in my collection.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/160067-st-clair-airborne-liner/?hl=%2Bclair+%2Bairborne+%2Bliner

Holy-moly!! :o:o:o

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Charles

Thats a beauty.Havent seen a nicer one.THanks for sharing.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

nice looking liner and please dont take this the wrong way as i am not trying to be "that guy" but i though that all these were modified by McCord in 1942 and that McCord only used steel rivets when they put the A yokes in? the rivets on your liner look to be brass, if i am wrong please disregard. i just wanted to know if what i heard was true.

nice looking liner and please dont take this the wrong way as i am not trying to be "that guy" but i though that all these were modified by McCord in 1942 and that McCord only used steel rivets when they put the A yokes in? the rivets on your liner look to be brass, if i am wrong please disregard. i just wanted to know if what i heard was true.

No offense taken, Ben. Knowing how things worked at the time, I'd say it a simplistic view of history to think that no brass rivets could have been used. Brass washers were certainly used, so why not brass rivets??? What was available is what was used, and that is what was sent to the factories (please remember, contractors were supplied by the respective service branches, thus contractors didn't purchase the parts and the contract bids only pertained to manufacturing the item excluding the parts). This liner is proof of what was used.

Hi

What can be said about this item.... We can all dream...

I cannot wait to see what you post next to top the items you have post already....

Regards

Tom

THE OVERLORD COLLECTION

a virtual museum at theoverlordcollection.co.uk

www.m-1helmets.co.uk

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Hi

What can be said about this item.... We can all dream...

I cannot wait to see what you post next to top the items you have post already....

Regards

Tom

Hello, Tom:

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. "Topping" is subjective, so I may or may not top what I've already posted, but I certainly have some other wonderful items I'll post in the future.

Best regards,
Charles DiSipio
History Preservation Associates
Post Office Box 1450
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-0059
Ph: 856-489-8103
Fx: 856-489-8104
Email: hpa_rep@comcast.net

thats really an awesome liner , what a piece of history. I remember going to some of the surplus stores in the 1970's it seemed like there was no end to the ww2

stuff , it was there in the boatloads. thanks for the pics

While I really liked this liner at first look, I do have some concern now. While zooming in at the rivets on the inside of the liner, you can see what looks to be marks left from the rivet setting tool. While I do understand that these marks are plausible especially in soft brass, I am curious to know why the marks haven't darkened with age matching that of the square washer. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

post-2533-0-44615000-1369918356.jpg

Visit my website http://www.m1helmetdepot.com/ for Nice M-1 helmets and parts

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Are these same marks on all the brass washers, or just the ones where the yokes are attached? I have an early Hawley (not airborne version) in my collection with the brass washers, when I get a chance I'll take some close up pics of the washers for comparison.

Troy

USMC 2/2 Fox Co 0311 & 1st Recon Bn Delta Co. 0321. 1986 - 1995 (Desert Storm 90/91)

US Army Long Range Surveillance Co F 425th INF ABN LRS Team 1-6 2003 - 2005 (Iraqi Freedom 03/04)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif