The Commandant's Cigar Box...MOH Recipient David Shoup

I see we're pretty evenly split on the clean/not to clean subject. While I agree cleaning reduces the value of an emblem or medal, I'm not so sure it would have an effect on a one-of-a-kind item like this. Might be a question to ask a silver dealer. I'm tempted yet hesitant to clean it, the tarnish sure is ugly and makes it hard to read. Would also be good to ask about cleaning silver plating as they're the pros

Silverplate has to be cleaned with a chemical as to not wear thru the plating with an abrasive. You won't get that mirror polish but it will look good and readable. Let us know what you find out.

MichaelDecker

Awsome piece! I vote on cleaning it, as it will make it more readable, and I also like the "filler" idea.. Print it out onto label paper and stick em on some stogies :D

Nice score!!! Hat's off to you sir :) From my memory of my parents horse showing days,(silver plated trophies) it's very easy to clean. But, will tarnish again in a few years. I'm sure now there is probably a protective solution you could apply to slow the oxidation. I say clean it.

Thanks gents. I'm both happy and saddened to report this has left my possession, to a collector who has spent many years and much money reuniting Shoup's items that have been scattered to the winds. I'm a big fan of reuniting groups, so I felt it best for this to be reunited

teufelhunde.ret

Thanks gents. I'm both happy and saddened to report this has left my possession, to a collector who has spent many years and much money reuniting Shoup's items that have been scattered to the winds. I'm a big fan of reuniting groups, so I felt it best for this to be reunited

Well done Marine!

normaninvasion

I'm sure that this piece will hold a lot of meaning for the collector and will find a nice home along with other Shoup items. Really brings home the point that we are all only caretakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear it will be reunited.

I had a similar dilemma about cleaning a large presentation goblet given to a Marine Raider by his men in 1945. The goblet is solid Sterling, but was absolutely filthy, not to mention heavily tarnished and stained. I tried unsuccessfully to convince myself that it was "patina". Even after being washed in soapy water, it had a "crusty", blotchy finish that made the inscription very difficult to read and looked like pewter. It must have been stored in a work shop or shed. I ultimately decided that it looked gross, and did the veteran no justice. I very carefully cleaned and polished it with amazing results. It now looks like a museum piece vice an old flower vase, and I'm glad I did it. I'm not one to clean things, but I think solid or silver plate presentation items are in a slightly different category.