Opinions on PASGT camo cover job

NickD

hi guys

im looking for opinions on this PASGT camo cover job i have, i have history for this helmet so i don't know whether it is an actual in the field camo job or a airsofter job ?

as you can see the actual camo cover is cut down camo material & not a purpose made cover its being held on with tape & the screws that hold in the webbing it also has a net & "salad" possibly vehicle came netting added over the top of that ?.

the reason im asking for opinions on this is that im thinking of stripping it down back to its original look but before i do something i might regret i would like to everyone's thoughts on it thanks.

post-7374-0-94741800-1369378371.jpg

Nick, what strikes me is that surplus, factory-made PASGT covers are quite easy for collectors to come by...even here in the UK...so why go to the trouble of creating something like that? The Dutch army uses a version of British woodland DPM and issues such fitted camo covers for its PASGT-style helmets. There's no real need for any serviceman to create their own! Therefore, I'm leaning towards airsoft / paintballing!

SergeantMajorGray

It looks like you can take this stuff off and put it back on if you want so go ahead and take it off it looks airsofter IMO.

thanks for your input guys its much appreciated

another reason why this PASGT had me wondering as Ian said covers for these were readily available so why go through all that to create a camo cover why not just request another cover ??? but when i was doing an unrelated search i came across this pic of a US soldier with a PASGT with a M-1 cover screwed to it ??

post-7374-0-52962500-1369395164.jpg

Nick,

The Camo netting is vehicle netting that's been cut up. My guess would be someone was trying to replicate the look of British helmets from Afghanistan where this was common practice until the MTP camo strips came out. Check out the web for pictures of the Marines and Para's in Afghan and you will come across similar.

Rich

Now that is interesting Nick! It's almost the reverse of what you often see on eBay, ie, an M1 with a PASGT woodland cover! :o

hawkdriver

Those are non-US soldiers, so it looks as if someone wanted a camo cover and a M1 cover was all they could come up with. As for your cover, I have never seen anyone use a net, that is what the camo band is supposed to do. My vote is Airsofter.

Nick,

My vote would be airsoft -influenced by British troops in Afghanistan. The picture below is of a Royal Marine in afghanistan -you can see he is using the desert variety of the vehicle netting.

Rich

post-1878-0-00083700-1369407435.jpg

• 3 weeks later...