Unknown 69" Long Rifle

NickCT

This has been in my family for many, many years and my father bought it in an antique shop. I really have no idea what it is besides being labeled Stoeger Arms Corporation and "Made in Belgium". Take a look at the pics, any help with this will be much appreciated because I finally decided to try to learn more about this thing. It's 69 inches long, and there is a few makers marks on it too and the number "132" next to the makers mark. Thanks a lot for any help :)

20130523_133651_zpsed75e802.jpg

20130523_133709_zps799d3e4a.jpg

20130523_133726_zps09ef40d6.jpg

20130523_133739_zpsf06a6964.jpg

20130523_133755_zps5a693648.jpg

20130523_133819_zps03e4ba7c.jpg

20130523_133837_zps9744abc3.jpg

Garandomatic

I don't think it is as old as you're hoping. Stoeger is still in business, and is pretty known for their sort of old-west style double barreled shotguns, as well as black powder CW era pistol repros. It looks like it might be a reproduction of a flintlock to me. Stock doesn't have the exact lines that old guns have, and the brass band halfway down the stock is something a lot of newer repros have as well. Older flintlocks and cap and ball rifles often were pinned into the stock, and I think the wide band is often used to hide the fact that a stock isn't made from one piece of wood, which would make it more expensive

That, and "corporation" is also a give away that it is relatively new. My greatx4 grandpa's piece's only markings are his initials!

Thanks Danny for the info! That's definitely the gun, but it's strange that mine is longer than some of the ones I looked up online. Some were about 56-57 inches total, mine is 69.

JS - It weighs about 10 or 11 pounds; it's awkward to try to aim it standing up like a regular rifle because of the length (But then again, this thing is as tall as I am :lol: ), but I'd imagine if you steadied the barrel on a rock or something it'd be manageable.

1SG_1st_Cav

If for some reason we no longer have access to modern firearms, flintlocks will have to do. Sooner or later we may be back to clubs and spears! Danny

RustyCanteen

Since an informative answer has been given I am closing this thread as it is non US.

RC