WWI Dallas BB&B pattern Observer

Marc Garlasco

The cloth is a bit of leatherette type fabric that was frequently glued to this wing. Right as rain.

I can't remember off the top of my head but this was made by either BB&B or Eisenstradt.

Nice wing Nick, very nice.

Patrick

Jack's Son

The cloth is a bit of leatherette type fabric that was frequently glued to this wing. Right as rain.

Patrick

OH WELL....we don't need to see the back any longer!

Reverse

attachicon.gifobswngrev.jpg

Nick,

You have a very rare gem in this wing. I can count on one hand the number of these BB&B metal observers wings that exist in collections. As you probably know this "O" observers wing was only used for about 12 months in WW1, from December 1917 until December 1918. They changed the regs in Janurary 1919 coming out with a new wing design. Very nice example. The few original "Dallas" wings that pop up usually don't have the leather cross hatched piece to cover the threads on the reverse. Again extremely nice wing.

Terry

There are actually a couple of variations of this wing in the backing plate that is used. I have one that has the backing plate that looks like it was actually initially intended to hold the shield rather than a gothic "O". Yours has the backing plate cut more to the "O".

Here is a photo of mine showing the more squared off plate.

post-1519-0-34366900-1369415297.jpg

A close up of the leatherette cover on the back. It seems to be only glued onto the back of the wing, so I suspect a fair number simply just fell off.

post-1519-0-84909600-1369415430.jpg