Vietnam era Laredo AFB Class Patch

usaf70

Johnny Signor

Try looking it up on this site

USAFupt.com

They have specific "base" sections to look under, to me it appears to be an USAF Academy or Officers candidate school type , but I could be wrong.

That's what I was thinking a Officers Candidate School, USAF Academy or ROTC because of the type of aircraft on the patch.

Mark

There also appears to be some letters on the side of the aircraft. Looks like SAC or SEP hard to tell.

Class patches usualy have the class number somewhere on the patch. I think it's something else other than a class patch. This could be a patch that was used by a contract civilian outfit that gives preliminary introduction flights to people applying for pilot training slots.

There also appears to be some letters on the side of the aircraft. Looks like SAC or SEP hard to tell.

May be CAP, Civil Air Patrol. Looks like the Cessnas they flew too, so it's a good possibility.

Randy

Johnny Signor

I think the wording on the plane is actually "USAF" just not that clearly defined, the type is the Cessna T-41 "Mescalero"(172 civy) and the AF used them for pilot training, also at the Academy I believe .

Johnny

The shown patch came with a group of Laredo AFB class patches from 1968 to 1973 so I was assuming it was also from Laredo.

Hopefully someone recognizes the patch?

It does say USAF on the side.

I wonder if the key is the "key" to unlocking (pun intended) the mystery. Could the top part of the key be 68/69 and the bottom E for class 68E or 69E?

Just another thought.

Randy

The best place to check for USAF pilot training class patches is www.usafupt.com I did check over there for class patches out of Laredo AFB and did not find this one. Just to cover an addition base, I went over to Laughlin AFB @ Del Rio and checked on class patches from that near by training base, but again, nothing.

One of the other guys suggested it could be Civil Air Patrol, but I kinda doubt it. I've collected CAP unit patches for years and even authored two historical monographs on them back in the 80's and I don't remember ever seeing the design as a CAP patch. Not that I know all there is to know about CAP patches, I'm just saying it doesn't seem to point in that direction to me.

Keep looking as someone out there in collectorland will have an identification for this critter.

firefighter

I guess RANDY and I were thinking the some thing.I went thru the above link and USAF Patch Gallery class patches, all pages on both sites.I couldn't find the above patch but I did find one that I have, finally id'd.

If the aircraft is a T-41 they were used for preliminary flight screening and undergraduate pilot training. Many different squadron few this aircraft even the USAF Academy.

If the aircraft is a T-51 the patch would belong to the 557th Flying Training Squadron, USAF Academy. The T-51 was used for basic flight training.

Mark

• 4 years later...

Any new members recognize this patch at all?

It is a T-41 Mescalero, but was it used at any particular base?

It looks like it may be "E" flight but again which base.