82nd Airborne 325th GIR Co. E

Hunafish

Thank you for your quick reply Mr "Cevensky".

I have that kind of roster too. This is a general Roll of Honour list of the 325th.

Rick mentioned about a roster of Easy Company from February/March 1944. I wonder if Mr. Matysak is also on that roster.

I know that Mr. Matysak was enlisted at Camp Grant (ILL) back at 26 March 1942. But I am not sure when he was in Easy Company. So if he is already at the roster from early 1944, than I can imagine in which campaigns he was involved.

Hopefully there is also some information in which platoon/squad he was in and what his job was.

I figured you had as much.

If there isn't anything really specific in the E Co roster, I'll check out a book I own that was written by an E Company veteran. I don't think it was printed in any sort of large quantity. Good, firsthand information in it nonetheless.

Maybe Rick also has a copy, but I'll check mine tomorrow.

Best,

Cole Evensky

Stunning group! I used to work for a museum. Please understand that there is a tendency, depending on the museum and the curator, to hold onto items for an extended period of time. If they can show custody, they can claim it.

I would NOT loan anything out.

My two cents.

Hi Rick,

That's really stunning collection you have. Is your uncle still alive?

I wonder if you could help me with my research? I adopted a grave from a gliderman from Easy Company, (2nd bat) 325th GIR. He died at 5 February 1945 at the last stages of the battle of the Bulge. He is burried at Henry Chapelle in Belgium.

His name is Michael F Matysak.

• Can you find his name on any of the rosters that you have?
  • Could he be on one of your photo's?

Any help would be definitely appreciated.

Best regards,

Danny ter Horst

Danny,

Found him on a roster dated 31 July 1943 as a Pvt.

Hope this helpes.

Regards,

Christian

Jumpin Jack

I have a complete undated roster of E Co, 325th showing Michael F. Matysak in alphabetical order, but unfortunately no other data. Jack Angolia

Danny,

Found him on a roster dated 31 July 1943 as a Pvt.

Hope this helpes.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian,

That definitive helped.

So back in 1943 he was indeed already at Easy Company, 325th GIR.

• 3 years later...

Back in the mid to later 1970's and 80's I was fortunate enough to work with Robert L. Dickerson of Henderson, KY who was the C.O. of E Co during the action at Salerno. He had retired as a Bird Colonel from the US army during the Viet Nam war and was working as the supply manager at a large hospital that I was employed at. His exploits at Salerno are described in the Devils in Baggy Pants booklet put out by the 82nd Abn Div. I don't know if he was still with E Co. during the Normandy Invasion, but he told me that when he jumped from his glider upon landing, he stepped into nose deep water ( he was well over 6 ft. tall) He was wounded very badly on D+3 stating due to a screw up on his part. He said that he and his RTO were out in plain sight using the radio and figured a German had eyes on them and within a minute of two they were being mortared. He never returned to action after that I believe. One thing he did say, was that his company's mortar crews were the very best and could "drop a round right down a smokestack" . I used to have a photo of him but lost it over the years. He died several years ago and is buried at Arlington. He was a true southern gentleman.

Quote from Col Dickerson : " Hell, those Russians are crazy trying to do anything in Afghanistan. That's like trying to take over West Virginia!"

• 2 years later...

I just picked up a grouping from Harley R. Bohrer who was with the 325th Glider Infantry E Company. He was KIA on 15 June 1944. It appears that his shoulder patch (82nd) was cut off his jump jacket and mailed home along with some letters from his girlfriend. She mentioned in the letters that Harley was in North Africa in 1943. Any information on this hero appreciated. Is he on anyone's E Company roster ?

• 6 months later...

I just picked up a grouping from Harley R. Bohrer who was with the 325th Glider Infantry E Company. He was KIA on 15 June 1944. It appears that his shoulder patch (82nd) was cut off his jump jacket and mailed home along with some letters from his girlfriend. She mentioned in the letters that Harley was in North Africa in 1943. Any information on this hero appreciated. Is he on anyone's E Company roster ?

https://gyazo.com/48eed4aec14fd76775156dbd63cfbaa1

Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

regarding the roster signed by Chaplain Wall.
are you interested in selling this, or at the very least sharing an image of this with me?

I ask, because I am the grandson of Chaplain Wall.  When he was sent home from the war, he barely talked of it, or when he did, he would tell superficial tales only such as when he agreed to shave his head in North Africa, or of the men that he baptized.
 All of his service medals and citations are with my cousin, who graduated from West Point, and served in the army, and therefore the eldest daughter, felt that her eldest son deserved to have those.  

if you wish to have me answer questions, or provide other proof of my lineage to Chaplain Wall, please feel free to reach out to me.
but, even having a pic of what he documented during that time would be greatly appreciated by me and by several of my cousins.

thank you for reading this, and considering my request.

if anybody has any pictures of him during that time, I would appreciate those being shared, even if that just means a jpg, and not the actual picture.

22 minutes ago, Jay Wall said:

regarding the roster signed by Chaplain Wall.
are you interested in selling this, or at the very least sharing an image of this with me?

I ask, because I am the grandson of Chaplain Wall.  When he was sent home from the war, he barely talked of it, or when he did, he would tell superficial tales only such as when he agreed to shave his head in North Africa, or of the men that he baptized.
 All of his service medals and citations are with my cousin, who graduated from West Point, and served in the army, and therefore the eldest daughter, felt that her eldest son deserved to have those.  

if you wish to have me answer questions, or provide other proof of my lineage to Chaplain Wall, please feel free to reach out to me.
but, even having a pic of what he documented during that time would be greatly appreciated by me and by several of my cousins.

thank you for reading this, and considering my request.

if anybody has any pictures of him during that time, I would appreciate those being shared, even if that just means a jpg, and not the actual picture.

The original poster hasn’t been active on the forum since they posted this over 10 years ago.

Chances are slim you will hear from them but I wish you the best in your search.