1943 Award of Navy Marine Corps Medal for Heroism in Haiti in 1929

bobgee

Inspired by JS's posting of his NMCM to Captain Darnall, I dug out mine.

NMCM+FRIEDMAN+REV.JPGNMCM+FRIEDMAN+OBV.JPG

This Marine received a Navy & Marine Corps Medal awarded in 1943 on the basis of a Special Letter of Commendation by the Secretary of the Navy for Heroism in Life Saving at Cape Haitien, Haiti on 6 December 1929. At the time he was a Private USMC. He was recommended for a Treasury Life Saving Medal but this was turned down and he received a Special Letter Of Commendation from the SecNav. He was discharged EofE in 1931. He re-enlisted in Dec 1941 right after Pearl Harbor. The N&MC Medal was established on 16 January 1943 and had a retroactive feature. At that time he was serving on Recruiting Duty at RS, Atlanta, Georgia. It is likely that he saw the AlMars announcing the new medal and its retroactive feature and applied. There is excellent research in his SRB detailing his efforts to obtain the medal and complete details on the event itself. He was initially turned down but subsequently, following presentation of additional information, the Board of Awards and Decorations approved his award. He received it for rescuing a Haitian native from drowning, in shark-infested waters. The medal is a first issue type, U.S. Mint manufacture, full wrap brooch, ball-type catch, with replaced ribbon, hand-engraved on the reverse. The award is confirmed in Blakneys Heroes of the Marine Corps, one of 12 back-dated awards after the N&MC Medal was adopted in 1942. A very rare award for non-combat heroism, only 484 N&MC Medals were bestowed through 1955. He later retired as a M/Sgt. In addition to the N&MC Medal, he is entitled to the GCM w/ an undetermined number of bars/stars, OMCR Medal, Expeditionary Medal, APT, AmCamp, WWII Vic., NDSM and an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service in the RVN in 1962/63 w/ MAAG Vietnam. Whereabouts of other medals unknown. In an official file photo he appears to be wearing a Navy Comm ribbon w/ 2 stars. All research was conducted AFTER I acquired the medal. 2001. Semper Fi......Bobgee

Great medal, Bob. But please show us some of the research that goes with it.

I have been thinking...what caliber of museum would there be if the collectors from this forum gathered their collections together and assembled an all-encompassing U.S. military museum. This medal is just one sampling of the depth and breadth of the amazing veterans whose history is being preserved and cared for.

teufelhunde.ret

In addition to the N&MC Medal, he is entitled to the GCM w/ an undetermined number of bars/stars, OMCR Medal, Expeditionary Medal, APT, AmCamp, WWII Vic., NDSM and an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service in the RVN in 1962/63 w/ MAAG Vietnam. Whereabouts of other medals unknown. In an official file photo he appears to be wearing a Navy Comm ribbon w/ 2 stars. All research was conducted AFTER I acquired the medal. 2001. Semper Fi......Bobgee

WOW, definitely in the realm of a "rare" medal. And that would be a very interesting ribbon rack to see, no doubt a head-turner!

Sounds like this guy had quite a career. I'd love to see that official photo.

Here it is..........Bobgee

Friedman 1.JPG

Great medal, Bob. But please show us some of the research that goes with it.

Thanks, Adam. Here's some of the related docs. Bob

Friedman Doc 1.jpg

Friedman Doc 2.jpg

Jack's Son

Adam, Bob

Our medals are similar in that they are part of a much larger group of medals that has been spread to who knows where. Bless those old time Sailors and Marines who had FANTISTIC careers.