Armor and Tank Destroyer Purple Hearts

Jim Baker

Hello this is a dumb ? what armor units were in the pacific ? just recon units? was there TD units? I am not up on my pacific war armor/recon units now I am hooked (thanks Joe) just wondering??? :think:

Hello this is a dumb ? what armor units were in the pacific ? just recon units? was there TD units? I am not up on my pacific war armor/recon units now I am hooked (thanks Joe) just wondering??? :think:

Scott, that's not a dumb question at all! There were several Independent Tank Battalions in the Pacific. IIRC, the 192nd, and 194th were lost on Bataan, the 44th, 710th, 716th, 754th and 763rd Tank Bns were in the Philippines at the end of the war. I think there were two other battalions afloat on the way to the Philippines when the war ended. The 193rd, 706th, 711th, 713th (Flamethrower) were on Okinawa, and there were other provisional Chinese-American Tank Battalions in the CBI.

AFAIK, there were at least three Tank Destroyer Bns on the Philippines- the 632nd (M10) , 637th (M18) and 640th (M10). I do know that some M18's were on Okinawa with the 77th Division.

I don't know of any non-divisional Cav/Recon Squadrons on the PTO, but if there were, I'm sure someone will add them. IIRC, there were 4 Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons (16th, 19th, 104th and 107th) scheduled for shipment to the Pacific, but never made it before the end of the war. The 112th Cavalry Regiment, though dismounted, served in New Guinea and New Britain before being attached to the 1st Cavalry Division for the invasion of the Philippines.

Johan Willaert

2AD Purple Heart Group Thomas L PRINCE, ASN34841892, 67th Armored Reconnaissance Company, 67th Armored Regt/2AD

2ADPrinceGroup.jpg

2ADPrincePurpleHeart.jpg

2ADPrinceDogTags.jpg

2ADPrinceBible.jpg

NARA

Website of the DAV Chapter

I got this off another member last year... Great grouping but would consider trading for a similar grouping of a 29th Infantry Division GI....

Thanks for looking

There was even a provisional TD Bn in the Philippines in the early years of the war.

Sort of make-shift unit as far as I can recall (I'm at work at the moment, no access to my files).

Nice grouping, Johan, too bad I haven't got anything 29th related.

Erwin

Scott,

There were no Armored Divisions assigned to the Pacific during WWII. However, there were Tank and Amphibious Tank Battalions, and Cavalry units attached to Infantry Divisions.

I would suggest looking up those divisions and seeing what attachments there were.

If you have the time, Sawicki's Tank Battalions of the US Army, and the Army Lineage Series, Armor and Cavalry, parts 1 & 2, are great sources of information.

You can also pick up US ARMY ORDER OF BATTLE, PACIFIC THEATER 1941-1945.

by Madeja, W. Victor

• 1 month later...
kriegsmodell

Jim,

Great Purple Heart! I really love the work of that engraver. His/her style and craftsmanship is superb. The cross bar of the A especially grabs ones attention. I am always looking for examples by this person. Thanks for sharing .....

Jim et al,

Saw this on eBay from the UK and was gong to try and bid at the end but ended up covered in weekend chores and missed it. Glad that you ended up with the piece. Nice small machine official engraved Purple Heart. The spacing of the engraving is kind of unusual. Another nice Armor example for your collection.

PFC Henry Galbraith, Jr.

55th Armored Infantry Battalion

11th Armored Division

KIA January 22, 1945

I saw this one and would have bid but sadly it came at the wrong time financially. Nice heart at a reasonable price and I'm really surprised the Ebay police let this one finish, seeing as it was offered to ship to the U.S which is against their policy.

Anyway congrats on winning, I'm not at all jealous!! :thumbsup:

Rob

• 2 months later...
A very nice Silver Star, Jim.

Do you have any information on the soldier and how he got it?

Erwin

For recovering 2 tanks under fire.

post-78-1262903315.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Several people have been asking about turn around time on IDPF's.

I recieved the IDPF for PFC Galbraith today. It was three months to the day. Not bad.

Several people have been asking about turn around time on IDPF's.

I recieved the IDPF for PFC Galbraith today. It was three months to the day. Not bad.

Just got Mcintire IDPF it was about 3 1/2 months !!!

• 2 weeks later...

S/Sgt Peter Kowaleski

Company B

752nd Tank Battalion

POW July 12, 1944

Held in Stalag 7A, Moosburg Bavaria, Work Camps 3324-46 Krumbachstrasse, and Work Camp 3368 Munich.

The battle for Rosignano, Italy July 3-12, 1944 was costly for the 752nd Tank Battalion. The 752nd Tank Battalions worst losses in the Rosignano vicinity occurred near a farmhouse north of town on July 12, 1944. Two Tiger tanks all but annihilated the 2nd Platoon of B Company in a matter of seconds, destroying four tanks and causing heavy casualties (18 KIA, WIA, MIA, and POW). It was during this action that Sgt Kowaleski was taken prisoner.

post-78-1265329003.jpg

post-78-1265329015.jpg

Thanks to Bob Holt for the information concerning the Rosignano action.