From a B-25 crash site, 19 february 1944

salerno1943

salerno1943

We are sure about identity of this aicraft because we fina a tag of a airman on this aircraft.

It is 447th BS: Extracts from Missing Air Crew Report # 2618:
A/C No. 41-29775 ((MACR-2618 - crashed - missing)
P DeMay, Kenneth C., Capt - MIA, KNB
E Cooper, Raymond C., S/Sgt - MIA, KNB
PAX Allender, Darrel W., Cpl - MIA, KNB
PAX Kaiser, Jacob (NMI), Jr., Sgt - MIA, KNB
PAX Lee, James P., Cpl - MIA, KNB
PAX Pearson, Stanley O., Sgt - MIA, KNB

Eyewitness Account: Olson, Robert C., Capt, pilot, 447th BS
447th BOMBARDMENT SQUADRON (M) AAF
Office of the Operations Officer
A.P.O. 650
360.33-DeMay, Kenneth C. & crew. February 21, 1944
SUBJECT: Missing Air Crew Report.
TO : Headquarters, Army Air Forces, Washington, D. C. (Thru Channels)
1. I flew to Vincenzo Field on the morning of February 19, 1944, to ferry some
equipment and men back to Gaudo Field. I took off at 0845 and headed toward NAPLES
as there was a large opening in that direction. I climbed to 10,000 feet and took up a
heading for NAPLES. I was above the overcast all the way and identified FOGGIA by
radio compass. I then flew out to sea a short distance and found a hole, let down, and
returned to VINCENZO.
2. Captain STEPHENSON called FOGGIA MAIN about 1230 and asked about
the weather to NAPLES. He was told they were clearing ships for NAPLES.
Saturday, 19 February 1944 (continued)
3. My plane was loaded and I was ready for a return trip about 1300 in the
afternoon. Captain DEMAY and I decided to fly a two-ship formation so as to be better
prepared to combat any weather. He decided to head North and try to climb through a
hole which extended over the spur North of FOGGIA. We took off, found the hole,
climbed to 9,500 feet and headed for Gaudo Field. We were flying between two layers
and heading for a strip of blue. We were about thirty minutes on course when we ran into
a solid overcast. Captain DEMAY made a diving left turn. I followed and lost him, then
went on instruments and headed North. I climbed to 14,000 feet, making a slow turn
South, believing that if I headed South I would break out. At 14,000 feet I was still in the
overcast and turned to a heading of approximately thirty degrees (30°) to head for
FOGGIA. Still no luck, so I turned again North and broke out. I then headed for
GAUDO, found a hole and descended just North of GAUDO Field.
4. Captain Stephenson flew from VINCENZO to GAUDO Field on the
afternoon of February 19, between two layers of clouds and encountered only haze. He
took off about 1330 hours.
ROBERT C. OLSON
Captain, Air Corps,

Is possible to have some other informations about these men and about these fragments? Thanks!

post-5589-0-74073200-1403557548.jpg

post-5589-0-58875400-1403557553.jpg

post-5589-0-98938000-1403557557.jpg

post-5589-0-18197900-1403557563.jpg

post-5589-0-03779200-1403557568.jpg

carbinephalen

Since the dog tag has a NOK address on it, it would be interesting to see if any family members could be contacted. If the veteran had children, it would be interesting for them to see it.

salerno1943

We are the SALERNO 1943 AIR FINDERS and we cooperate with DPMO like you can see on our site: www.1943salerno.it

Any informations you can give about relatives of these airmen will be greatly appreciated. The crash site is south east of Salerno.

Thanls!

Jack's Son

Good hunting for the realities, there must be someone out there who cares. Perhaps one of our members with Ancestry can help.

There is an 88 year old gentleman , Calvin Lee, who owns 72 High Street in Woodbridge NJ. He and his wife ,June, live at 503 Tisdale Place, Woodbridge ,NJ , 07095. The houses are a few blocks away from each other . It appears there are still family members in 72 High Street.

I can help with the radio related components.

Photo 03 is a dial from the Command Radio receiver control box (probably BC-450) of the SCR-274N system.

Photos 05 and 06 are of an FT-161 shock mount for the marker beacon receiver (BC-357, BC-1033, or BC-1333).

Photo 08 is the top tube compartment cover for a Command Radio receiver (BC-453, BC-454, or BC-455).

Photos 21 through 24 show the control box for the ABK IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) transponder.

EDIT: Many pictures were lost so these photo numbers no longer match up.

• 3 weeks later...

There is an 88 year old gentleman , Calvin Lee, who owns 72 High Street in Woodbridge NJ. He and his wife ,June, live at 503 Tisdale Place, Woodbridge ,NJ , 07095. The houses are a few blocks away from each other . It appears there are still family members in 72 High Street.

Calvin Lee is James's brother. See here:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=3302276

It looks like the bodies were recovered (albeit mixed/unidentified in 5 cases), thankfully. Given the personal items recovered here, I was beginning to wonder/worry...

Cheers,

Glen.

salerno1943

Thanks. I wrote a letter to Calvin Lee. I also wrote to 57th Wing Association to find other relatives if is possible and contact our friends to DPMO to investigate crash site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...