WWII USMC Mortarmen Field Gear and Equipment

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

I am wanting to put together a get up of a WWII USMC mortarman. Would they have worn a pistol belt or cartridge belt? Suspenders? Which type of USMC pack?

Thanks,

Brian

For a mortar crew member, you should have a M36 belt with a mag pouch for M1 carbine magazines, and a standard P41 haversack with suspenders (not mandatory).

You also need 2 canteens with covers, a first aid pouch, standard army pattern, and possibly a M2 jungle kit. Furthermore, to finish the equipment, a nice Kabar or Camillus utility knife.

Hope this helps,

E

USAF29thINFvet

Yes it does!!! Thanks a lot!

How much of this gear needs to be marked USMC?

Also....can you tell me which pattern helmet cover was worn in which battles? For example, would the first pattern worn during Guadalcanal? Second pattern? Third?

Thanks again,

Brian

About the web equipment, only the haversack, suspenders and canteen covers have to be USMC specific (seldom marked however), so for the belt, mag and FA pouches, you can go Army.

For the helmet cover, forget it for Guadalcanal, they were not even existing in 1942 ... their use began in the New Guinea campaign and Tarawa, in the end of 1943.

1st and 2nd types were used throughout the war, even the mosquito-net type, so every type will do good on your display, unless it has an EGA on the front.

USAF29thINFvet

My cover has no slits.......and no EGA....which makes it a first pattern, correct?

My cover has no slits.......and no EGA....which makes it a first pattern, correct?

Yes, indeed B)

devildog34

You could use 'US' marked canteens as well as Marines did use them, but it would be more desirable to use the ones suggested. Would love to see your get up here when you complete it. Best of luck.

VolunteerArmoury

For a 60 or 81mm mortarman you can add a leather sight box, machetes or bolo since they've been part of mortar crews following WW1, M2 compass, the gunner often had a pistol or revolver rather than carbine though it was about half and half from the photos I've researched. Aiming stacks, binoculars. The baseplate strap system, if portraying the Assistant Gunner. Ammunition bearers wearing the ammunition vest or pack boards with boxed rounds or just the cardboard tubes strapped to the board. The TOE was very similiar to what we carry as mortarmen today (Indirectfire Infantrymen). Most common thing amongst mortarmen, we have poor hearing especially in right ears as well as bad back & knees.

craig_pickrall

This is an USMC Mortar crew in actual combat. I'm sorry they aren't wearing the correct gear but it is what it is.

post-5-0-81925400-1369347367.jpg

post-5-0-22433900-1369347383.jpg

post-5-0-49839500-1369347404.jpg

craig_pickrall

The gear on the combat mortar crew does not match what was described by all the others as text book issue gear. Usually what is done in combat does not match up real well with the manuals. For example, the one man that you can see the equipment belt on, is the standard 10 pocket cartridge belt. If you read the text above you will see he should be wearing a pistol belt and carbine mag pouch. I was concerned that these actual photos may confuse the issue. Also note the helmet covers.

USAF29thINFvet

Gotcha....thanks!!!

On a different note....I have a thread about an unmarked USMC Upper Pack......your thoughts? I see you posted a pic of a Korea era pack....

craig_pickrall

The pack on ebay does look an awful lot like a Korean era pack and not like a WW2 pack.

One other thing is the carrying of two canteens. Up till the end on the war most Marines just had one canteen as far as I have seen in pictures

OK guys, let's see some evidence of mortar crewmen equipment ... Peleliu, 1944, not so late :mellow:

equipm10.jpg