Does anyone has trades or spoils made with the Russian in ww2 ?

nicolas75

Hello

The meeting at Torgau and the followning VE Day black market made extensives trades and souvenirs purchases by the Gis of German and Russian stuff

See attached pic of the "Berlin Bazar"

Does anyone has some Russina bringbacks ?

Best regards

post-3574-0-89668800-1368881028.jpg

With my area of research, I've seen quite a few bring backs from both Army personnel who met up with the Soviets and Navy personnel who did the Murmansk Run. I have some pics on my other computer I can post up next week if interested.

Dave

badash5946

Back in the early 70's I was the Air Force advisor to a National Guard electronics Installation unit in Bellingham WA. The commander was a L:t Col and a former WWII infantryman who had an item that he said he took from a Russian in an "unfriendly" encounter late one night. I can no longer remember if the item was the P-38 pistol he had or the German dagger that he had but it was one of the two.

Wow! Small world. In an unrelated to this post type of thing; I was a member of the Army Guard at that same small Bellingham airport in the early '70's.

badash5946

Wow! Small world. In an unrelated to this post type of thing; I was a member of the Army Guard at that same small Bellingham airport in the early '70's.

That's awesome!I sure loved that assignment and the two years I spent there.

• 3 weeks later...
bbmilitaria

My great uncle traded a Luger for this Russian revolver when the 71st Division liked up with the Russians in Czechoslovakia.

post-3239-0-47694000-1370460325.jpg

Garandomatic

I saw a 69th Division uniform somewhere on the internet that had some Soviet pins on it that the vet picked up when they met.

I read somewhere here that a number of units were awarded Soviet guard status of some sort... maybe someone else more familiar can elaborate?

ww2relichunter

yeah i think your uncle really got take thoose nagnant revolvers are selling mint for around 120 when they are on sale during the holidays at gander mountain !! but neat still lol

Garandomatic

That one would got for a tad more than $120. It still has the semi-circular sight, looks like it might be original to its 1918 date. I can see a guy fighting the Nazis not having any great love for the weapons that fired at him, but I know which one I'd prefer! I had a Nagant that was rebuilt about a dozen times, it barely had any date or maker's mark on it. I think it would have made a great hammer rather than a gun. All that being said, the Nagant traded for above is pretty darned cool given its history, and depending on how you look at it, might be a bit more unique than the Luger.

You also have to remember that the values that we place on these guns are based on collector value. Militaria collecting didn't really become a popular field much before the 1960's (Civil War centennial). In 1945, the Luger and the Russian revolver were worth nothing more than souvenir value. Luger's were everywhere, and if a soldier wanted to get his hands on one he most likely could.

US Victory Museum

I call her Суки "(The) Bitch"

She's a 1944 dated Tula Arsenal (USSR) manufactured PPSh-41 submachinegun.

It's a fully functional Curio & Relic firearm that is registered under Title II
of the National Firearms Act of 1968.

After the war, Berlin was carved into occupational zones by the various allied
nations thus placing foreign troops into close proximity. Naturally bartering
and horse trading became the rule of the day. In a world awash in weapons
not every item could be accounted for, so if some Amerikanski was so foolish
and willing to trade a fine pair of boots for a submachinegun, then why shouldn't
some Soviet soldier take advantage of such foolishness.

The vet passed on and it's mine now. She's almost as fast as my MG42.

I keep the original matching stock in the gun safe so as to not ding or dent it

when I'm playing at the range. The gun is photo'd with a beater stock.

P.S.
The naval ensign is 1970s era.
It's just a suitable backdrop.

post-1529-0-77830900-1370976987.jpg

bbmilitaria

When I was a kid, it really bummed me out that my uncle traded a luger for the nagant, but now I really appreciate the revolver for what it is. At the time, 1945, russians arms were much harder to acquire than german arms. He also received an accordian in the trade but it was too large and he was unable to send that home. He also had to take the firing pin from the revolver before it was allowed to be shipped home, however, he mistakenly put the firing pin in his duffle bag and it also made its way back to the states. The story of how the revolver got home, relayed to me by my uncle, is worth much more than money.

When I was a kid, it really bummed me out that my uncle traded a luger for the nagant, but now I really appreciate the revolver for what it is. At the time, 1945, russians arms were much harder to acquire than german arms. He also received an accordian in the trade but it was too large and he was unable to send that home. He also had to take the firing pin from the revolver before it was allowed to be shipped home, however, he mistakenly put the firing pin in his duffle bag and it also made its way back to the states. The story of how the revolver got home, relayed to me by my uncle, is worth much more than money.

+1

The Meatcan

too bad about that accordion...that would have been a killer souvenier!

I didn't buy this from the veteran, but from a guy that did at a yard sale. Note how the knife is written in, the guy I bought it from said he asked about the knife, and the guy said he'd never seen it either. Lord knows what it may have been...

Edit: I just noticed the little knife in the top of the picture, this is totally unrelated to the conversation! Haha! :lol:

S5008950.jpg

I didn't buy this from the veteran, but from a guy that did at a yard sale. Note how the knife is written in, the guy I bought it from said he asked about the knife, and the guy said he'd never seen it either. Lord knows what it may have been...

Edit: I just noticed the little knife in the top of the picture, this is totally unrelated to the conversation! Haha! :lol:

S5008950.jpg

Wow...a Soviet pistol with capture papers...I'm in loooooooove....

RANDALL 1953

My great uncle traded a Luger for this Russian revolver when the 71st Division liked up with the Russians in Czechoslovakia.

At least he got something for it. My Dad was a Sgt. in a Combat Engineer Battalion and took a Artillery model Luger off a German Officer Some other GI helped himself to it and stole it. Dam, I would have loved that one as a hand me down.