Help with ID on this ribbon

Sivart

I recently purchased this rack but I can't figure out what the lower left ribbon is.

It looks like the Silver Lifesaving Medal to me, but what is the deal with the wreath?

Can anyone help me out with this one?

Thanks,

Travis

post-2876-0-91515400-1368865303.jpg

It's the Republic of Vietnam Air Service Medal Honor Class. The wreath denotes the class as "honor class". There are four classes of the medal. I attached a picture of Major General Cornelius Nugteren. As you can see from his rack he is wearing the same award on the bottome left.

post-6546-0-29430100-1368872583.jpg

Thanks for the help, I will post better pictures in the CIB thread or custom ribbon rack thread once it arrives.

Travis

Since we have questions about the ribbons on this rack, what's the one just above the Army of Occupation?

post-110009-0-80206800-1368906526.jpg

Combat Infantryman Badge

Legion of Merit

Bronze Star Medal

Joint Service Commendation Medal

Army Commendation Medal

Army Good Conduct Medal (12yr, 4 Knot Device)

Army of Occupation Medal

National Defense Service Medal (Oak Leaf? Should be a Bronze Star)

Korean Service Medal (3 Campaign Stars)

Vietnam Service Medal (3 campaign Stars)

Armed Forces Reserve Medal

Vietnam Honor Medal

Republic of Vietnam Air Service Medal (Honor Class)

United Nations Service Medal

Vietnam Campaign Medal

Shouldn't the Good Conduct be 15years? the medal=3yrs then 4 knots =12yrs for 15yrs?

The ribbon doesn't count once you add a device. A ribbon with no device = 3 yrs. The next step up is a device with two knots which = 6 yrs, etc.

I found two things unique about it. The oak leaf on the NDSM and the odd thread count in the Reserve Medal (the outside blue lines should be the same width as the tan).

firefighter

At first I wasn't sure about the SVN Air Service medal was that.The outside blue stripe is wider than it should be.Thanks for the info on the GCM loops.

The Army used oak leaf clusters to denote subsequent awards at one time. I do not know the date when it was changed to a service star. Here is a line from an Army Forum discussion "I think it's also important to stress to our younger members that the awards regulation changes over time. The National Defense Service Medal, for example, used to be worn with a bronze oak leaf cluster to denote subsequent awards - but the reg changed and we now wear a bronze star for subsequent awards." Also I include this pic of a Vietnam SGFC casualty (non-hostile 1968) medals. Note boxed NDSM with oak leaf on medal drape and ribbon bar in upper right hand corner of pic.

post-895-0-90594600-1368933935.jpg

Excellent information! I had been suspicious of such thing, but didn't turn up anything in a quick search. Thanks for the picture and info.

I wonder if any of the old uniform regulations are published anywhere.

TRR, forgot to mention in my post, that is a beautiful custom made rack you picked up. Love seeing the more unusual RVN ribbons in U.S. groups. I'm sure someone will post actual regulation change date. I do not have access to my reference material currently.