Liner what do you think?

Hi everyone,

I am not a helmet collector but I would like to buy a para liner to fit with my M42 jacket.

Someone showed me this liner and helmet. It did not belong together as a set.

What do you think is it a good one?

Thanks in advance, I have no books on the subject since it really is not my focus.

I have checked google but am not sure about it.

Ericpost-9265-0-90519700-1368828281.jpgpost-9265-0-54636300-1368828299.jpgpost-9265-0-75389500-1368828316.jpgpost-9265-0-27865800-1368828331.jpg

can you get any better pictures? i can say that the chin cup is not for a para liner however i cant even tell for sure if the A yokes have cast buckles or not.

i would wait to see what some other people think but i for one am not liking what i can see. the chin cup is not right and the liner chin strap looks to be a euro clone. even if they are cast buckls which they kind of look like they might be they should be green painted steel not black. the a washers look like they are unpainted steel and i have not seen a westinghouse jump liner with unpainted steel washers, not to say they are not out there just that i have not seen them. they could be black brass with some corrosion that is making them look that way. if it was me i would want some better pictures.

I could be wrong but it looks like the nape suspension is folded back at the ends and the A-washers look unpainted making it a fairly early high pressure liner. I don't know much about airborne helmets but I'm pretty certain that westinghouse didn't make airborne helmets that early. So it was either retrofitted later in the war...or more recently.

I could be wrong but it looks like the nape suspension is folded back at the ends and the A-washers look unpainted making it a fairly early high pressure liner. I don't know much about airborne helmets but I'm pretty certain that westinghouse didn't make airborne helmets that early. So it was either retrofitted later in the war...or more recently.

i did not even see that, i was to busy looking at the small stuff to see the elephant in the room. i am 99% sure westinghouse never made any unpainted A washer jump liners and i am 100% sure they never made any early folded nape jump liners so this would at the least not be a factory para liner. i would say aged fake at this point, good eyes yp221!

Thanks Ben, and it looks like the yoke on the wearer's right side is missing the horizontal strip of web. Is it me or do the A washers for the nape suspension and the main suspension where the front leg of the yokes attach look different than the rest? Like they'be been handled? The other ones are that frosty gray color you expect to see, except for the ones that needed to be moved for the yokes. Just an observation.

The liner's leather chinstrap looks like it could be European also, due to its lighter colour and thicker grade of leather. I'll qualify that by saying that's how it appears in the photo. To be sure a closer pic would be needed.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Thanks everyone, I have learned again today :).

Unfortenately I have no extra pictures but soon I will be able

to hold the helm in my hands for extra inspection and get confirmation

of what has already been said.

Cheers,

Eric

I you want something to go with your M42 jacket, you should be looking at Inland para liners. Of course they do go for a lot of money, and as such are more faked. But it would be best for a Normandy impression

Frederik

I you want something to go with your M42 jacket, you should be looking at Inland para liners. Of course they do go for a lot of money, and as such are more faked. But it would be best for a Normandy impression

Frederik

I've seen groupings with m42s with both Westinghouse and Inland liners even D-bales with westys. Either will work it all depends on what time period Eric wants to represent.

As far as the helmet goes from the pics I'd let that one be, it has a euro chinstrap, the chin cup isn't a para cup, and as others have mentioned the liner doesn't look quite right.

Also if cash is an issue you dont really need an M1c. A fixed bail or even a swivel bail will work just fine. If you wanted to represent say the Market Garden timeframe a nice fixed bail with a westinghouse would work just fine.

I was thinking more of the general conscious that westinghouse liners weren't used in Normandy, but if the M42 was used after Normandy it could work.

Right, but the M42 was still used after Normandy, so it all depends on timeline he wants to represent.