Kingfisher Pilot USS West Virginia-Okinawa

tarbridge

Here is the story of Ltjg Donald Ray Walker, he flew the Vought OS2U Kingfisher; a spotting plane among other things off the USS West Virginia. They were reconnoitering Okinawa for a firing assignment and Ltjg Walker and his Observer Melvin Ladson took hits destroying their Kingfisher causing them to bail out and parachute into enemy territory. Both men were reported missing as the newspaper states. RIP Ltjg Walker and AVO3 Ladson

P1010033.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010010.JPG

On 16 June, she was firing an assignment for the 1st MarDiv off southwestern Okinawa when her spotting plane, a Vought OS2U Kingfisher, took hits from Japanese antiaircraft fire and headed down in flames, her pilot and observer bailing out over enemy-held territory. Within a short time, aided by Putnam and an LCI, West Virginia closed and blasted enemy guns in an attempt to rescue her plane crew who had "dug in for the day" to await the arrival of the rescuers. The attempt to recover her aircrew, however, was not successful.

On June 16 Marines were pushing Japanese to the Southern lip of the Island. I was called to replace LT Donald Walker for close support while Walker took my place further inland. As we went by each other we waved and a minute later Walkers plane was hit by AA fire. I saw Walker and his radioman Ladson bail out. I called in his coordinates but both men disappeared. Our fighters appeared in no time but found only 3 Japanese who were gathering up Walkers chute. All rescue efforts failed. Three days later the Marines reached the area and sadly found Walker dead in a cave. There was no mention of radioman Ladson

Really nice grouping Robert with some good information with it.

I owe machinko (Nick) with locating the information about them finding Walker and his being on the West Virginia.Thanks,Robert

History Man

I was fortunate enough to see this group at the Pomona Show, it is a great group to a brave pilot. It is the first to a Kingfisher pilot I have seen.

Philip

Great group, Robert. Noticed that had he lived he would have been 91 yesterday. Best.......Bob

Jack's Son

Very nice find Robert! I'm happy you were able to get more information about the pilot. I'm going to have to show up on Thursday from now on!! :)

That poor guy had to have died one hell of a death.

I was thinking that myself when I found the information, I coudn't help reminding myself of the death of Ralph Ignatowski In Flags of our Fathers...

Very emotive grouping to a very brave pilot. Nice to see a photo of Lt jg Donald Walker.

BigJohn#3RD

Robert,

A brave aviator who flew in to harms way in an aircraft that was basically defenseless to provide support to the Marines moving forward in the last battle of WW2.

RIP Lt jg Walker & AVO3 Ladson.

John

SgtPete found this copy of the USS West Virginia's War Diary detailing Walker and Ladsons last mission...

post-6322-0-06913600-1368982117.jpg