101st D- Day Medic

alktrio06

There is nothing there that gives me the least bit of concern about its authenticity. I think this should be moved out of the fakes section.

Allan

I'll play devil's advocate and say that while everything looks OK, it does not always mean 100% it is all his stuff.

While I have no reason to think so in this case, I once bought a lot named to a vet, and upon finding him discovered that almost all of it was "added in" to make one decent item seem like a "cool grpouping."

Now I'm not saying this is the case here, but all you'd really have to do to turn a generic jamp jacket ino this is find the few actual named items at a sale, realize he was a paratrooper, and then add in everything and 'name' the jacket. Thus a generic jacket can be drastically raised in price.

The sad thing is that there really are dealers out there that do this stuff. ' Found in an abandoned storage space' is just one of many easy use to use terms that totally hides its origin, as if found out later to be messed with, then the dealer of course can not be held liable as he just claims someone else must have put it together before hand.

I only bring this up as there are a lot of newer collectors who have never run into this type of thing and are sometimes a little too open minded.

Daryl Bagwell is a solid dealer to buy from. He is well known in this area and built his militaria business on his reputation. I have not heard a single bad thing about his auctions and people in the mountains love to talk. He is the reason it is hard to find militaria around here in the shops because everyone just puts it in his auction.

The grouping looks good me. Seems paratrooper stuff is just going for a premium lately.

Exactly part of my point. He may have an impeccable rep (and I have no doubt he does), and can tell that everything in it is original, but no one can really tell if it all did come together. Had I not happened to trace the vet that owned the group I once bought, I would have passed it on at some point through my impeccable rep. claiming it was all tot he one guy." Sadly, I trusted someone with lots of knowledge and a good reputation - he just decided for whatever reason to sweeten the pot.

This is one of the reasons I always suggest if you get things from the vet, take a photo of them in front of said vet, or at least make a list and have him sign it. That simple provenance will one day pay you back. But then I have seen people go to a notary and have a statement that "these are my wartime items" done up when they are nothing of the sort.

And again - I am NOT making any claims about these items, just using them as an example to point out to inexperienced collectors some of the things people do. And not just dishonest people. Mis-understandings and good faith often garble an origin.

So just remember- PROVANANCE People... Provenance, provenance, provenance!

I agree and that wasn't directed back at you, just a general knowledge statement. Research is the key no matter who or where you buy it.

Hi

I do tend to agree with John on this one, there is very little in the actual grouping to ID any of the stuff to the specific person. Unless the grouping has come direct from the family, a grouping that is light on supporting paperwork is always a bit of a miss for me. Especially on A/B and D-Day related stuff.

I am not saying suggesting the person selling it is at fault, but 1979 to 2013 is a long time for people to put groupings together.

Regards

Tom

Well guys back from the auction and I ended up with this grouping. I actually saw the jump jacket about 3 weeks ago and I have kept it too myself hoping nobody else that was there in person would notice a couple things about this piece. I didn't really care whether it was originally the vet in questions jacket or not for several reasons. First of all in hand the patch looks 100% original to the jacket. The second best thing about the jacket is it has a tiny laundry mark inside the switchblade pocket. Now for the best part, this jacket is a converted reinforced jacket that has had the reinforcing removed for some reason. Why, I have no idea. But it will be very interesting once I run the laundry mark and check it against the roster!! Alex

Congrats! Went a bit higher than I was willing to pay.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2