1970 dated Anti-Exposure quick-donning flying coveralls Type QD-1

agate hunter

agate hunter

Hey everyone. Just picked this up, and don't know anything about it have never seen another one, at least one from the Vietnam era anyway. Comes with hood and gloves, zipper works, but the rubber on it is bad in some spots. Measures about 6.5 feet from bottom of feet to top of neck, so its pretty big. Gloves and hood are attached with lines that are attached to the pockets, so I'm guessing that's where the hood and gloves go.

Any info on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (also it may be for sale or trade so if anyone is interested let me know).

post-10495-0-72617800-1368747385.jpg

Very nice. These were usually custom fit to the crewmember at the wrists and neck by trimming back the rubber to allow for a watertight seal without restricting breathing or blood flow. The issue two piece quilted nylon underwear, AKA "Chinese Underwear" was worn underneath along with very heavy wool socks. There would also be another issue of larger size flight suit and boots to be worn over the entire ensemble. The hood was inflated for insulation but was not waterproof so the hands and head had to endure some discomfort but the "poopy suit" worked well in the water but could also be quite effective on land.

PM me if you decide to part with it.

agate hunter

Thanks for the quick reply. So would this have been worn by all pilots incase of a water landing? And that makes sense about custom cutting the neck and wrist areas looks near impossible or anyone's head to fit through the neck part right now.

Thanks for the quick reply. So would this have been worn by all pilots incase of a water landing? And that makes sense about custom cutting the neck and wrist areas looks near impossible or anyone's head to fit through the neck part right now.

Yes. My Father did one of the earliest trans Atlantic F~84 deployments to Europe in 1950 and he swore by the "poopy suit" when one of his guys was lost enroute after ejection because he DIDN'T wear one. I have spent hours in the waters around Iceland with a similar type and never concerned myself with the exposure. Conversely, I made a dive and underwater swim wearing a wetsuit with no hood in the same waters and thought I would die. Not from exposure but from the unbelievabley cold water on my old noggin.

Undertoker

Just had to say what a great suit and a great couple of comments, I've never seen a poppy suit before myself.

Very interesting guys

Thank you

Specifically, they are worn when water temps are below 60 deg. They also suck.

Ian