Pocket Patches Of The 1st Infantry Division In Vietnam

seanmc1114

Soldier of the 1st Engineer Battalion sporting the 1st Infantry Division SSI on his khakis. It looks like the patch may be sewn on the uniform rather than encased in plastic and hanging from the pocket. Also note that he is wearing jump wings and the Airborne patch on his overseas cap even though he is not assigned to an airborne unit.

Based on his Purple Heart and Combat Infantryman Badge, he may have initially been assigned to an infantry battalion and then laterally transferred to the 1st Engineer Battalion after recuperating from his wounds. However, he apparently took basic training at Fort Leonard Wood which leads me to believe he would have been trained as an engineer from the beginning. Is this perhaps one of those instances where the CIB was awarded to a non-infantryman?

http://vva1028mo.com/TWWWMoore.html

post-1761-0-30028000-1426258129.jpg

Soldier of the 1st Engineer Battalion sporting the 1st Infantry Division SSI on his khakis. It looks like the patch may be sewn on the uniform rather than encased in plastic and hanging from the pocket. Also note that he is wearing jump wings and the Airborne patch on his overseas cap even though he is not assigned to an airborne unit.

Based on his Purple Heart and Combat Infantryman Badge, he may have initially been assigned to an infantry battalion and then laterally transferred to the 1st Engineer Battalion after recuperating from his wounds. However, he apparently took basic training at Fort Leonard Wood which leads me to believe he would have been trained as an engineer from the beginning. Is this perhaps one of those instances where the CIB was awarded to a non-infantryman?

attachicon.gif1st Infantry Division.Pocket Patch.jpg

There's a illusion to him doing Tunnel Rat duty, maybe that's the reason???? tried the Database, but without a middle initial it's tough going.

On the not wearing a DI on cap, but rather the Para Glider patch of Airborne Troops, you might see a senior officer serving in a non jump unit, but not to my knowledge a junior enlistedman, but as he's in country and wearing it, he probably got away with it, probably when this photo was taken he was either DEROS-ing or going on R&R.

• 2 weeks later...

An unknown pocket hanger of the Big Red One, don't think this was posted yet, don't know what it is, do you?

Photo taken as we see during Richard Nixon's visit to the Division in 1969.

post-34986-0-53272600-1427082464.jpg

Yes I think that's it Mitch, since it's a depiction of a Blood Hound, and though I can't find images to confirm this, my first guess would be one for the 61st Infantry Platoon (Combat Tracker). Also note the rank of the officer, he's a Captain, these platoons were of course commanded by 2nd or 1st Lieutenants, so I guessing he was a former Platoon Leader, made Captain, and wears this pocket hanger, also the lack of a scroll is a clue that he's moved on to other duties, if he was a member of this unit still he would have a scroll above the Big Red One patch.

post-152466-0-82718000-1427127582.jpgpost-34986-0-84694800-1427148616.jpg

Yes I think that's it Mitch, since it's a depiction of a Blood Hound, and though I can't find images to confirm this, my first guess would be one for the 61st Infantry Platoon (Combat Tracker). Also note the rank of the officer, he's a Captain, these platoons were of course commanded by 2nd or 1st Lieutenants, so I guessing he was a former Platoon Leader, made Captain, and wears this pocket hanger, also the lack of a scroll is a clue that he's moved on to other duties, if he was a member of this unit still he would have a scroll above the Big Red One patch.

post-152466-0-82718000-1427127582.jpgattachicon.gif78655108d96ab8ff1427148182.jpg

Patches,

I found the ID in a Oct ,1988 ASMIC Trading Post. It is for the 615th MP Co. It shows 2 variations, very close to each other, of the patch.

Regards,Mitch

Patches,

I found the ID in a Oct ,1988 ASMIC Trading Post. It is for the 615th MP Co. It shows 2 variations, very close to each other, of the patch.

Regards,Mitch

Intriguing, I checked it out Mitch, I got stacks of back issues of the Trading Post, fortunately I found that issue rather quickly and didn't have to spend a hour looking through the pile :lol: . Now the mystery, why would an Infantry Officer whose a 101 vet and currently serving in the Big Red One (note the Screaming Eagles combat patch) be wearing it??

attachicon.gif1st Infantry Division.Pocket Patch.jpg

post-1761-0-30028000-1426258129.jpg

Hey maybe that Big Red One patch on the pocket is one of those late 50s AG 44 background ones, hard to tell I know, but it would be interesting if it turn out to be one of these.

• 7 months later...

Soldier of the 2nd Battalion 28th Infantry wearing a 1st Infantry Division pocket hanger on one pocket and a 28th Infantry Regiment hanger on the other.

post-1761-0-08145700-1448238601.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

post-34986-0-38402600-1462075730.jpg

One more Lions of Cantigny PP, here sometime in 1966, two officers, both 2nd awardees of the CIB, one of which is wearing the 28th Inf PP, the other may be in one of the battalions of the 28th Inf too, but just didn't wear the PP. The one in civilian clothes is of course Vice President Hubert Humphrey, who is pinning an unknown award (Can't see medal) on them.

Here a 1st BG 5th Inf pocket patch Big Red One shirt in the flesh, one posted quite awhile ago by another member, forgot who.

attachicon.gifuniforms109.jpg

Picked this up last week while in Virginia for work.

post-29885-0-86422800-1462284896.jpg

post-29885-0-93036800-1462284902.jpg

• 2 months later...
seanmc1114

The 2nd Battalion changes command at Camp Bearcat in February 1966. L to R: Unknown (probably 2nd Brigade commander based on rank and pocket patch although the colors look reversed for a normal 2nd Infantry Brigade SSI) , LTC Bill Hathaway, MG Jonathan Seamans, LTC Y.Y. Phillips, and CSM Chandler

post-1761-0-96752400-1467726331.jpg

There's a illusion to him doing Tunnel Rat duty, maybe that's the reason???? tried the Database, but without a middle initial it's tough going.

On the not wearing a DI on cap, but rather the Para Glider patch of Airborne Troops, you might see a senior officer serving in a non jump unit, but not to my knowledge a junior enlistedman, but as he's in country and wearing it, he probably got away with it, probably when this photo was taken he was either DEROS-ing or going on R&R.

Once earned a Troop would wear his wings and "Airborne" overseas hat regardless of what unit he was assigned to.

As for a DUI on the hat, I never once saw one being worn on the overseas hat while I was in, 1970 -74

Once earned a Troop would wear his wings and "Airborne" overseas hat regardless of what unit he was assigned to.

As for a DUI on the hat, I never once saw one being worn on the overseas hat while I was in, 1970 -74

True for the wings, but not the overseas cap "glider" patch. Though it was probably done by some troops, it was not IAW Army regulations. Extracts from Army Regulation 670-5, May 1969:

Chapter 14, Insignia and Accouterments

Para 14-3. Headgear, ornamentation and insignia.

a. Cap, garrison [the overseas cap].

(2) The following insignia are worn on the garrison cap:

(a) Officers and warrant officers.

​1. Insignia of grade centered on the left curtain.

2. Optional for those assigned to airborne organizations; the approved "Airborne" cap insignia centered on the right curtain (para14-19c).

(b Enlisted men.

1. Approved unit (distinctive) insignia centered on the left curtain.

2. Optional for those assigned to airborne organizations; the approved "Airborne" cap insignia in lieu of the unit insignia (para 14-19c).​

Para 14-19c. Airborne insignia. Airborne insignia may be worn when prescribed by airborne organization commanders. The insignia consists of a white parachute and glider on a blue disk, with a red border, approximately 2 1/4 inches in diameter, overall.

I wore the DUI for my assigned unit on my overseas cap throughout my Army career, 1970-1991.

Interesting stuff all those regulations. I guess it all depended on location as to if they were followed or not.

But thanks again for the information.

True for the wings, but not the overseas cap "glider" patch. Though it was probably done by some troops, it was not IAW Army regulations. Extracts from Army Regulation 670-5, May 1969:

Chapter 14, Insignia and Accouterments

Para 14-3. Headgear, ornamentation and insignia.

a. Cap, garrison [the overseas cap].

(2) The following insignia are worn on the garrison cap:

(a) Officers and warrant officers.

​1. Insignia of grade centered on the left curtain.

2. Optional for those assigned to airborne organizations; the approved "Airborne" cap insignia centered on the right curtain (para14-19c).

(b Enlisted men.

1. Approved unit (distinctive) insignia centered on the left curtain.

2. Optional for those assigned to airborne organizations; the approved "Airborne" cap insignia in lieu of the unit insignia (para 14-19c).​

Para 14-19c. Airborne insignia. Airborne insignia may be worn when prescribed by airborne organization commanders. The insignia consists of a white parachute and glider on a blue disk, with a red border, approximately 2 1/4 inches in diameter, overall.

I wore the DUI for my assigned unit on my overseas cap throughout my Army career, 1970-1991.

Interesting stuff all those regulations. I guess it all depended on location as to if they were followed or not.

But thanks again for the information.

The wings are the personal award. The cap patch is a unit worn item like the airborne tab is part of the SSI and not an awarded item for airborne qualification.

When I was back home, a Recruiter Aid after Basic/AIT April 1980, I was on the job for around two weeks, the station received a new Recruiting Sergeant, an E-6 173rd Abn Bde 11B Viet Vet, 1966-67 (have his last name in the back of my mind right now, can't recall it), he wore the cap with the Paraglider patch, he was previously with the 82nd, it's possible he wore this even at the Recruiting Sergeants school (or was it a course). In any event, the station commander, a E-7 25th Div 11B Viet Vet, never took issue with it, and make him either remove it, or get a new one at clothing sales to wear the Recruiting Command's DI, here I gather it was good promotional stuff, you know Go AIRBORNE and stuff like that :).

Yeah I remember driving with him in those government sedans one day and this guy driving another car, apparently sees us getting into our car, spots his combat patch ( We always wore Class A and or Khaki for Recruiting Duty back then, we were in Class As that day) and follows us, at a red light, he pulls up and says "You where in the HERD I see, so was I, 1967-68 he said, a small back in forth between the two, the E-6 a White guy the other Civilian Vet a Black, The HERD Two Shades of Togetherness was the first thing I thought of :) .

When I was back home, a Recruiter Aid after Basic/AIT April 1980, I was on the job for around two weeks, the station received a new Recruiting Sergeant, an E-6 173rd Abn Bde 11B Viet Vet, 1966-67 (have his last name in the back of my mind right now, can't recall it), he wore the cap with the Paraglider patch, he was previously with the 82nd, it's possible he wore this even at the Recruiting Sergeants school (or was it a course). In any event, the station commander, a E-7 25th Div 11B Viet Vet, never took issue with it, and make him either remove it, or get a new one at clothing sales to wear the Recruiting Command's DI, here I gather it was good promotional stuff, you know Go AIRBORNE and stuff like that :).

Yeah I remember driving with him in those government sedans one day and this guy driving another car, apparently sees us getting into our car, spots his combat patch ( We always wore Class A and or Khaki for Recruiting Duty back then, we were in Class As that day) and follows us, at a red light, he pulls up and says "You where in the HERD I see, so was I, 1967-68 he said, a small back in forth between the two, the E-6 a White guy the other Civilian Vet a Black, The HERD Two Shades of Togetherness was the first thing I thought of :) .

Yeah, I did the "Home Town Recruiter" thing for 2 months back in the pre-beret days.

The 4 assigned and myself were all assigned to Airborne units at one time or another and we all wore our "Abn" overseas caps, again with no DUI. And it was a "promotional thing". Repeated that duty 2 years later (now beret in place) and was instructed by the Station NCOIC to wear beret to work while the other former Para's wore the patched cap, Again strictly "show"