Pocket Patches Of The 1st Infantry Division In Vietnam

seanmc1114

• 2 months later...

Future Sergeant Major of the Army William O. Wooldridge (center) as Sergeant Major of the 2nd Battle Group 28th Infantry in 1958

post-1761-0-97530600-1534368106_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-11417600-1553487483_thumb.jpg

Helmet of PC Charles M. Dawson at the 1st Logistical Command's 3rd Field Hospital, December 1966. Above the left side of the cross is a bullet hole.

• 9 months later...

Came across this great photo of three 1st BG 5th Inf Noncoms at Riley,5th Infantry PP on the field jacket and fatique shirts. Not certain what's going on there, two things, it's possible the NCO in the center is a Sfc and has been promoted to the grade E-8 in the rank of 1st Sgt??? Or the two M/Sgts on the left and the right have been bumped up to 1st Sgt rank???

post-34986-0-29410700-1578109425_thumb.jpg

Came across this great photo of three 1st BG 5th Inf Noncoms at Riley,5th Infantry PP on the field jacket and fatique shirts. Not certain what's going on there, two things, it's possible the NCO in the center is a Sfc and has been promoted to the grade E-8 in the rank of 1st Sgt??? Or the two M/Sgts on the left and the right have been bumped up to 1st Sgt rank???

attachicon.gifniiu7.jpg

My Deep Background contact was able to ID the one on the left Edwin S.Cuggino. no other info other than an award for a BSM, WWII or Korea? Didn't serve inside Vietnam apparently (VA we found out still list Vietnam for the period of service, even the man was in the States and later Panama during the period), photo from the 1st Div museum) it turns out. With the caption "

Command Sergeant Major Ted Dobol gives E-8 first sergeant stripes to Cuggino and Dunn in 1960 or 61".

59812336_1467316182.jpg

Dobel, not much on him so far, apparently was in the Big Red One in WWII, in the 26th Infantry, and talks about one John T. Corley in Africa.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-j8xAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA143&lpg=RA1-PA143&dq=command+sergeant+major+ted+dobel&source=bl&ots=QBAopsSo2y&sig=ACfU3U2j70tiBKSaYu_VgoponGsr5vWT-g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_nPeamuvmAhUwuVkKHU75CxoQ6AEwE3oECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=command%20sergeant%20major%20ted%20dobel&f=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thomas_Corley

My Deep Background contact was able to ID the one on the left Edwin S.Cuggino. no other info other than an award for a BSM, WWII or Korea? Didn't serve inside Vietnam apparently (VA we found out still list Vietnam for the period of service, even the man was in the States and later Panama during the period), photo from the 1st Div museum) it turns out. With the caption "

Command Sergeant Major Ted Dobol gives E-8 first sergeant stripes to Cuggino and Dunn in 1960 or 61".

59812336_1467316182.jpg

Dobel, not much on him so far, apparently was in the Big Red One in WWII, in the 26th Infantry, and talks about one John T. Corley in Africa.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-j8xAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA143&lpg=RA1-PA143&dq=command+sergeant+major+ted+dobel&source=bl&ots=QBAopsSo2y&sig=ACfU3U2j70tiBKSaYu_VgoponGsr5vWT-g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_nPeamuvmAhUwuVkKHU75CxoQ6AEwE3oECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=command%20sergeant%20major%20ted%20dobel&f=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thomas_Corley

Major breakthrough's on Dobol, he awarded 4 Silver Stars in WWII, was in Vietnam as Sergeant Major of the 1st Bn 26th Inf, 1966 till 67, one source into 68. He also is given Korean War credit too, can't find unit in Korea just yet, so a potential 3 Award CIB man, he retires in 1969.

Here's more on him. This gives Korea and Vietnam ribbons and the 3rd Award CIB in the graphics.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=96681

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/70369#104191

Here he is in 1966 with what appears to be most of the 1st Div's Sgt Maj's

post-34986-0-86548500-1578240874_thumb.jpg

Major breakthrough's on Dobol, he awarded 4 Silver Stars in WWII, was in Vietnam as Sergeant Major of the 1st Bn 26th Inf, 1966 till 67, one source into 68. He also is given Korean War credit too, can't find unit in Korea just yet, so a potential 3 Award CIB man, he retires in 1969.

Here's more on him. This gives Korea and Vietnam ribbons and the 3rd Award CIB in the graphics.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=96681

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/70369#104191

Here he is in 1966 with what appears to be most of the 1st Div's Sgt Maj's

attachicon.gifrsz_daller.jpg

Turns out Dobol was not in Korea, was in Germany, with you guessed it.....the Big Red One, 26th Infantry.

He has a 9 Part Interview on Youtube, put in the search box Command Sergeant Major Theodore L. Dobol, in part 8 he talks of the post war 50s, in part 9, Vietnam, he will be then a recipient of the 2nd Award of the CIB, Together We Serve botched it by putting Korea ribbons and the 3rd Award CIB, but these depictions on this site should always be double checked

Turns out Dobol was not in Korea, was in Germany, with you guessed it.....the Big Red One, 26th Infantry.

He has a 9 Part Interview on Youtube, put in the search box Command Sergeant Major Theodore L. Dobol, in part 8 he talks of the post war 50s, in part 9, Vietnam, he will be then a recipient of the 2nd Award of the CIB, Together We Serve botched it by putting Korea ribbons and the 3rd Award CIB, but these depictions on this site should always be double checked

Here's one more photo of him in Vietnam as Sergeant Major of the 1st Bn 26th Inf In 1966, he's on the left with his hands on his hips.

post-34986-0-54499000-1578703118_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 10/11/2013 at 10:11 AM, patches said:

Can't confirm this as of yet, but I believe this one, one for the 8th Infantry might of been worm when a unit of the 8th Infantry, the 2nd Battle Group 8th Infantry was a part of the 1st Division, it was according to one source as being assigned to the Big Red One from 1960 to 1963, another source January 1959-1963. Since the 1st Division was a major wearer of the type it stands to reason the the 2nd BG 8th Inf wore this when they were with the 1st Division.

post-34986-0-34335900-1381510972.jpg

From approximately 1959 to sometime in 1963 at the time of the ROAD reforms, the 1st Infantry Division had Infantry units that apart from one never was traditional to it.

Order of Battle, Infantry, 1st Infantry Division 1960

1st Battle Group 5th Infantry

2nd Battle Group 8th Infantry

2nd Battle Group 12th Infantry

1st Battle Group 13th Infantry

1st Battle Group 28th Infantry (served with the 1st Div, 1917-1940)

So with these units the 5th, 8th 12th, 13th Infantry Battle Groups (28th we know did wear theirs) it's real probable that while they were in the 1st Div circa 1959-63 that they two worn their unit pocket patches.

Found pretty good evidence of the 12th Infantry pocket patch worn within the 1st Division during the PENTOMIC period.

This an old topic where member carbinekid seen the pocket patch sewn to a BRO fatigue shirt in a store and asks the question why, and where member atb answers. Too bad member didn't take photos of item at the store for posterity. Or posted a follow up if he got it.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/86840-odd-ssi-pocket-patch-combo/&tab=comments#comment-634967

The PP in question.

42196-1.jpg

I posted this in another topic, but here is Colonel George S. Patton, IV relinquishing command of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in early 1969. Note he is wearing a 1st Infantry Division SSI on the pocket of his jungle jacket. I know that the 11th ACR supported the 1st ID, but at various times in 1968 and 1969, it also had elements attached to the 25th Infantry Division, the 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division and I believe the 1st Cavalry Division as well.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.1st Infantry Division.Patton.DSC.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a 1950 photo of two ball players on the 16th Infantry's team in Germany. A very early made 16th Infantry patch worn on one of the caps, these later came into vogue as pocket patches to be actually worn on fatiques. 

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Patches, I forgot to move the thread I made... Here is another neat one. 2/28th Black Lions, with a nice embroidered CIB. I like this one as the wearer moved the pocket patch to the FWTS (right side) with his 1st ID ssi. There is an outline of a 5th ID ssi on the left. I will be listing this later this week on e-Bay.    Scott

DSCN1330.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1332.JPG

DSCN1333.JPG

DSCN1335.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, seanmc1114 said:

I posted this in another topic, but here is Colonel George S. Patton, IV relinquishing command of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in early 1969. Note he is wearing a 1st Infantry Division SSI on the pocket of his jungle jacket. I know that the 11th ACR supported the 1st ID, but at various times in 1968 and 1969, it also had elements attached to the 25th Infantry Division, the 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division and I believe the 1st Cavalry Division as well.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.1st Infantry Division.Patton.DSC.jpg

Here's another photo of Col. George S. Patton, IV wearing the 1st Infantry Division SSI on the pocket of his jungle fatigues while commanding the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.1st Infantry Division.Patton.2.jpg

• 2 months later...

GIs of the 1st Battle Group 28th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division in the very late 50s early 60s ,very late 50s as a starting point because the bazooka man there is wearing the reinstated buck sergeant stripes, in Yellow and Army Green.

image.png.6160b2009e9a22cab44c1f266e4dd383.png

• 3 months later...

Hi @patches, thank you for letting me know this topic.

many pics for 16th Infantry Regiment pocket patches

Anyway, just re-sharing my jacket here. P43, untouched conditions.

Named: Woodhead

1st Infantry Division insignia, German-occupation made

16th Infantry Regiment pocket patches

IMG_7370.JPG

• 3 months later...

Hi all, gladly i could post this one. 

Vietnam era jungle jacket, 7th AF. 
1st infantry div. 
Named to: Hall G. 
all original untouched. 

2AE3D46E-DD78-4F61-A27E-7DB7D34282D9.jpeg

1 hour ago, beefheart said:

Hi all, gladly i could post this one. 

Vietnam era jungle jacket, 7th AF. 
1st infantry div. 
Named to: Hall G. 
all original untouched. 

2AE3D46E-DD78-4F61-A27E-7DB7D34282D9.jpeg

Very fine coat, unit will be the 1st Battalion 7th Artillery

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one The REBELS, a sub unit of the Big Red One's 1st Aviation Battalion, shirt with this In Country made PP we imagine as per the years on it was worn in 1966-67 or so.

1st aviation batt 1st div.PNG

1st aviation batt 1st div.Pp.PNG