Pocket Patches Of The 1st Infantry Division In Vietnam

seanmc1114

Any found with the 2nd Infantry Sean?

post-34986-0-69844700-1368735286.jpg

This is a commonly found pocket patch, seen it quite a few times being sold at the various shows I gone to.

As this units 1st and 2nd Battalions were in the 1st Div in Nam, I would imagine they wore it, the parent Division these units came from, the 5th Inf Div was for the most part also known to wear pocket patches, so if they wear worn to any extent while these two units were in the 5th Div, I imagine they continued to wear them. I try to look around online.

Here one, an original early war 1st Pattern fatique shirt, the 1st Battalion 5th Artillery (105mm Howitzer,Towed)

post-34986-0-70372300-1368735881.jpg

seanmc1114

Any found with the 2nd Infantry Sean?

attachicon.gifphpKko5HvPM.jpg

This is a commonly found pocket patch, seen it quite a few times being sold at the various shows I gone to.

As this units 1st and 2nd Battalions were in the 1st Div in Nam, I would imagine they wore it, the parent Division these units came from, the 5th Inf Div was for the most part also known to wear pocket patches, so if they wear worn to any extent while these two units were in the 5th Div, I imagine they continued to wear them. I try to look around online.

Here's one of the CO of the 2nd Battalion 2nd Infantry. It's different than the others in that it is on the right instead of the left pocket and appears to be on a hanger instead of sewn on.

post-1761-0-46724300-1368738650.jpg

Proud Kraut

Right out of the trade box: I have posted this 2nd Inf variation in a pocket patch thread before, but I thought it would fit here as well. I was told then that this oversized, in-country made variation is vintage VN war. Maybe it's similar to the one pictured in post #28?

2nd Inf2a.jpg

seanmc1114

28th Infantry Regiment soldier either at Fort Riley or more likely in germany before the 1st deployed to Vietnam

post-1761-0-16098200-1368884993.jpg

Here are two pre-Vietnam ones (actually 1955 or earlier, before the GYROSCOPE move from Germany to FT Riley).

1st Signal BN, German made woven, removed to an otherwise completely destroyed fatigue shirt

Intel and Recon Platoon, 18th Infantry Regiment, German made. Reproductions of this are often marketed as a Vietnam patch.

post-781-0-38985300-1368889478.jpg

Another early 1950's one, this time a woven 18th Infantry Regiment.

Sewing the name tape above the US Army seems to have been the division standard in Germany for a while in the 1950's.

post-781-0-86882900-1368889794.jpg

Then there this one, the one for the 1st Inf Div DIV ARTY, I have seen it worn in 65 in Nam, but don't know were I seen the photo, online? Book/Magazine?

post-34986-0-04401100-1369333417.jpg

Here is part of a group I have to CO of Alpha co. His name is Bramlet. Photos show his Viet made patch on his embroidered scarf. It reads Defiant Alpha, CO. Also there are 3 other Viet made uniform removed patches.Alos a 1st Div pocket patch hanger . Looks like a Japanese made patch inside.Uniform removed insignia also.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-21759200-1369407096.jpg

I'm adding a photo of interest from the group , not of patches unfortunately but I thought it was interesting. It is a picture taken on flag day , June 14,1969 at FSB Mahone (south of Dau Thieng). The flag was sent to Washington and flew over the Capitol for 7 days and then sent to Vietnam by a retired Army Col. they received on the 13th and Capt. bramlet thought it was perfect time to have a flag ceremony. That is him up front by himself before the flag.

Thanks, Mitch

post-592-0-80135100-1369408344.jpg

seanmc1114

Here is part of a group I have to CO of Alpha co. His name is Bramlet. Photos show his Viet made patch on his embroidered scarf. It reads Defiant Alpha, CO. Also there are 3 other Viet made uniform removed patches.Alos a 1st Div pocket patch hanger . Looks like a Japanese made patch inside.Uniform removed insignia also.

Regards, Mitch

Great stuff. I had a couple of 1st Battalion pocket patches just like that that I sold. I thought I had some pictures but can't seem to find them. Mine were definitely theater made and had a loose gauze backing.

Another example of a Big Red One with Name Tape above the U.S. ARMY Tape. Again the 1st Medical Battalion is seen, like the previous one with the name Newman, this one will be from the midish 50s. Since this is the second one from the 1st Medical Battalion with the Name Tape over the U.S. ARMY Tape it is unknown if this was a style or fashion of wearing the Name Tape only affected by troops the 1st Med Bn in the mid 50s.

post-34986-0-14395100-1369459860.jpg

Shirt was posted quite awhile back by another member.