Packboard mounted.... flamethrower? Cutting torch?

MattS

A friend found this at a yard sale and asked me what it was. I'm guessing, any better opinions? And what might it be worth?

post-32676-0-84628800-1368714655.jpg

TheGrayGhost

I'm with Patriot, probably a civilian setup. The system looks very skillfully done, specifically the mounting bracket. Whoever built this really knew what they were doing.

Looks like something that was jerry rigged for some purpose. The green shoulder on the bottles indicates an inert gas and there will be a date of manufacture stamped into the metal near the top of the bottles.

Bob Hudson

Green bottles are often used for oxygen. Wonder if it was some sort of mine rescue breathing apparatus?

TheGrayGhost

The missing third bottle would probably tell us a lot. Is the original image any better so you can read what the label at the top says?

History Man

Green bottles are often used for oxygen. Wonder if it was some sort of mine rescue breathing apparatus?

If the tanks are for oxygen, then possibly a homemade diving apparatus? Looks interesting whatever it is!

Philip

That's the only photo he sent, but he did say the seller wanted $350 which seems awfully high considering no one knows what it is!

TheGrayGhost

That's the only photo he sent, but he did say the seller wanted $350 which seems awfully high considering no one knows what it is!

$350 is a steal for such a great conversation piece ^_^

Of the many things I am or was, welder is one of them. I will say it is a homemade dive tank. I base that hypothesis on the facts as follow; Oxygen is indicated by the green tanks and regulator, there is nor was a 'third bottle' as the fitting on the regulator and gauge is for a hose, not metal tube or pipe as are the other fittings. Someone made him self a half arsed scuba setup, not a very safe one at that!

Sparrow

Could be Helium tanks to fill weather or some other type of balloon?

Pack it into the hills and send it off when you get there...

Pep

I am going with the mine-rescue gear theory. I doubt a plywood pack board would stay together very long if repeatedly immersed in water. I also doubt it would be very comfortable while swimming.

A dive tank set-up would require a demand regulator not the constant pressure and flow one as pictured. Also the tanks would not be for oxygen as the green painted tanks indicate, as oxygen is poisonous when used below 33 feet of depth. I do not know what it is but do not think it is a dive unit.

After seeing all the possibilities, I think it may have been some sort of mine/cave oxygen supply. Not worth $350, but a neat use of surplus. I have a 'trophy' packboard that is engraved with the BSA Troop name that won some jamboree in the 1950s.