Just for Fun. The Haunted Tank Comic Books

patches

Man, I grew up reading about Jeb Stuart and the Hunted Tank comics... the good ones. Not the junk they make today.

Love reading those in the 70's last one remember reading was where the tank was on a ship and was used to shoot at sub . To be young again .

strawberry 9

If I recall it was just a special series and not ongoing. I loved G.I. Combat and Sgt. Rock growing up but reading them now they're kind of laughable with their little Stuart tank taking out a whole colum of Panzers. :lol:

Hey where's the PC Police! You know what's real interesting about the modern one is the continued use of the Stars and Bars, particularly with a Black crewmen who is presumably the new Haunted Tank,s TC.

Why don't you interested member post some cool covers from these types, preferably one's with Tank's, since this is the Tank Forum LOL

I too used to love reading these as a kid in the 70s, they sure sparked my imagination and helped fuel the collecting drive! I also remember Sgt. Rock and Sgt. Fury as well as Men at War! Scott

double canister

I stumbled into a stash of these at a local auction several weeks ago. There must have been 40 of the Haunted Tank series. The bulk of comics were the Sgt. Fury and Howling Commandoes. I always preferred Sgt. Rock.

attachicon.gifgicombat.jpgHere's one of the bunch.

Why that tank looks like a cross between an M36 Tank Destroyer (with inclosed turret :lol: ) and a Chaffee and an M47 Walker Bulldog :lol:

Garandomatic

New issues? Man, I might just have to look into that. Always loved the idea of the story when I was a kid, as related by my dad, though I was about 30 before I ever found an issue.

Yeah, people finally got a little tired of a Stuart shooting up all them tigers, so they blew up the original haunted tank, and (in an issue I think I still have) went to the tank graveyard and built (I am serious) a new tank out of spare bits of all kinds of different tanks, all the BEST bits mind you, of which I think the chassis was from a T-34 of all things. I recall there being a special drawing showing where everything came from (engines, gun, etc.)

sgtdorango

I loved the Haunted Tank too, and the new one was a mini-series of comic books, maybe four or so, came out a year or two ago, i bought them all, will dig them out and post all the covers, its a great story from the Desert Storm era....mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
snake36bravo
19 hours ago, patches said:

BUMP

I read 'em all Patches. The Losers, Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, Star Spangled War Stories featuring The Unknown Soldier, Sgt. Rock, G.I. Combat featuring The Haunted Tank and Enemy Ace, Our Army at War, Weird War Tales, Fighting Marines, Fighting Army, and more. I still have many to this day. To complement these my dad would always bring home his Preventive Maintenance Magazines which were just great comics for active duty soldiers. Will Eisner did some of those and Joe Kubert even threw in a few covers on those. 

1543797464_M113no-nospeeds.jpg.417df100a74b0de27916af712d8281ad.jpg

My favorite cover is this GI Combat No 131 Aug-Sep 1968 by Joe Kubert who did a lot of the more popular war comics. 

2047816210_GICombatNo131Aug-Sep1968.jpg.e877b4b3d5ba9b9bf2ddc877ebf7201d.jpg

Here's a close up of mine that I scanned showing off Kubert amazing way of capturing detail and setting up a story

2036563300_GICombatNo131Aug-Sep1968copy.jpg.dcf5640874157f78895889d30a27cbe1.jpg

snake36bravo

For those unfamiliar with Weird War Tales think of Warren Magazine and EERIE. Lots of 70s comics had a supernatural vibe and war wasn't immune from getting that treatment. 

Here are a couple of mine

Weird War No 14 June 1973 in well read well traveled condition as we went from duty station to duty station between America and Germany 

1342041831_WeirdWarNo14June1973.jpg.61db8ee1dd4f10e62ab3ea6ac5618ac3.jpg

Weird War No 44 February 1976

494447304_WeirdWarNo44February1976.jpg.9680ae672db2589bd25ba9a1e53ad8bb.jpg

One Weird War I remember was a summer of 76 one, maybe the June maybe July of 76 issue (I bought it near my Aunt and Uncles house in Melbourne FLA when we were down there for two weeks in mid late June). In this one one of the stories was about the Italian Army in Greece in WWII, a Italian Officer keeps pestering this mysterious women of the town who wears a veil covering her face to let him see her, she does after a bit or he violates her privacy and removes it himself I forget, turns out she is The Medusa and the Officer turns to Stone 678932917_emoticonlaugh.png.864b7fa9d43c1fa8c9ec739ab9cae028.png

snake36bravo

One of the continuing themes from G.I. Combat was the ghost of Jeb Stuart following that little M5 around. Plenty of covers showing this including the ones starting this thread. 

When the Tennessee 278th ACR deployed to secure the border between Iraq and Iran during OIF and while in country the commanding officers took this picture. Besides the excellent trigger discipline in this photo you'll notice the ghost of a cavalry soldier watching over them. The picture always reminded me of a throwback to those old G.I. Combat covers.

847501421_278THCOMMANDERS3copy.jpg.dfb3b58a13d1b487c0b3f539b5ff8a8f.jpg

Guys what was the title of the comic with the PT Boat, man I remember that one, but drawing a blank on the title, it had as it's Skipper an Officer who had either one Arm or one Leg right.