Wanna Build your Own Battleship/Aircraft Carrier/Destroyer/PT Boat in Full Size?

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...

While checking out the plans at the link above, I found that the sheet size of the original drawings (found by right-clicking on the drawing sheet itself and selecting Document Properties) of many of the ships listed is quite enormous. The biggest sheet seems to be drawing number 5 in the plans for USS Montana, ACR-13, at a staggering 169.65 x 34.10 inches! :o I would like to see the rulers the draftsmen used to make those drawings.

It might be really interesting to convert the scale for these plans and make a smaller scale replica.

I have seen 1/6 size trains, planes, ships, etc but never an aircraft carrier! :o

One of my boyhood dreams when I was about 7 or 8 to build a 1/6-scale warship for my GI Joes. I even made a drawing as to what it would look like. It was going to have paddle wheels powered by a miniature steam engine, sails, and an armament of a 155mm howitzer (that one was actually made by GI Joe; I've got one), a 40mm Bofors twin mount (also a GI Joe product), and 2 Browning M1917s. Never did get around to building it, though.

Wow! Great link. I was never allowed to play outside with my GI Joes. Those sure are some dedicated folks.

• 3 weeks later...