UNRRA Overseas Cap Patch

36-tex

The United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) was an international relief agency. Founded in 1943, it became part of the United Nations in 1945, was mostly active in 1945 and 1946. Its purpose was to "plan, co-ordinate, administer or arrange for the administration of measures for the relief of victims of war in any area under the control of any of the United Nations through the provision of food, fuel, clothing, shelter and other basic necessities, medical and other essential services" It ceased operations in 1947.

post-98-0-68139700-1368655999.jpg

Nice, under appreciated insignia, hard to find than most people realize. There are also at least two different versions of the "UNRRA" title patches, arched and strait styles.

Vance

Garth Thompson

Here are a couple more pieces of UNRRA insignia. Two titles one is British made IMHO and the other I'm not sure. One bullion cap insignia without the letters and another on twill just like the first one posted.

Garth

post-83-0-83365600-1368721866.jpg

post-83-0-73630100-1368721874.jpg

Here are a couple more pieces of UNRRA insignia. Two titles one is British made IMHO and the other I'm not sure. One bullion cap insignia without the letters and another on twill just like the first one posted.

Garth

Garth, thanks for the additions. I would agree with the one being Brit made. Obscure pieces that are generally over-looked in my opinion.

• 2 years later...
Garth Thompson

.....and this is the UNNRA badge which goes with your cap patch

Very nice, I've never seen one of the metal badges. From the pin assembly I think it is British made.

Salvage Sailor

Yep, British made

It came with an ANC Lieutenants General Hospital grouping. She volunteered for service with UNNRA after the war and collected these items. I wouldn't really call these (yes, foreign) items as 'bring backs' as they're British, but rather souvenirs from her service. The metal badge is quite hard to find as the UNRRA program was very short-lived (ended in 1947). UNRRA was primarily a US program set up prior to the founding of the United Nations.

UNNRA Group 001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...
PortraitofWar

Just bringing back up an old thread because I came across some UNRRA material. How rare are these items? I have also what appears to be an ID tag for a member of the UNRRA.

March141.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
lamarhooten

Here are some of my patches from this group. I have a few badges buried in all my stuff too! Even have a few poster/maps from this group I need to get framed up and displayed. Interesting history if you have the time to check it out.

Scan_20230226.jpg