USMC Raider Patch for Review

GIZMO8Z

My first post! I look forward to being a positive contributer to this forum. :)

I picked up this patch at the Allentown show this past weekend. I didn't get a great deal on it... but I paid what I consider the low end of the price spectrum of what these tend to go for...

The seller is well known and offers a guarantee of authenticity. As such, I am fairly confident that it's authentic... However, if it turns out to be bad, I know I'll be able to get a refund or exchange it for something else.

I know that there are numerous variations of Raider patches... Not nearly as many as 101st AB patches... but I am still not 100% confident that this one is the real deal.

35cr39u.jpg

2ypdfth.jpg

Comments on this patch would be immensely appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance for your time and consideration!

X_redcatcher

I would get your money back. I do not think its real, the edge is not what you see in real ones, black light it,,do the burn test, see what happens. I could be wrong but I bet that edge glows like my xmas tree from last year.

Uh-oh! Not what I wanted to hear after dropping $100 on a patch.

I appreciate your help but with all due respect I'll wait for a few more opinions before trying to get my money back/ arranging an exchange.

Patchcollector

I didn't get a great deal on it... but I paid what I consider the low end of the price spectrum of what these tend to go for...

100 bucks is way overpriced,in my opinion. :o You can find authentic ones on eBay for cheaper,including some with the price tag still attached,from one seller.

ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif

Hi Patchcollector,

Would you be able to private message me a link to these sellers? If this one turns out to be bad, I'd like to add an authentic example pronto.

Patchcollector

Hi Patchcollector,

Would you be able to private message me a link to these sellers? If this one turns out to be bad, I'd like to add an authentic example pronto.

Actually,I went to eBay after I posted here to find you some links,but the only authentic ones I could find were 115 bucks! :o got mine about 10 years ago,and at that time they were going for around 40 to 80 dollars,depending on how many people were bidding on them.Maybe the asking price has risen on them since I bought mine,I'm not sure :unsure:.My advice is to study the authentic ones,there are several types,and keep looking online for auctions,or sales.This may take awhile,so you may have to wait for the right one,but I think that your patience will pay off eventually.I can't find the ones that I saw on eBay that had sales tags on them,maybe the seller sold them out.The seller had an old military stores' inventory,and was selling them off,I think the store owners name was Wiosk,or something similar. Hope this helps.

ZoomButt.gif

Lol now you see why I wasn't too torn up about dropping $100. I had seen some listed at $175-$200!!

Can anyone identify this as a known fake?

Patchcollector

Lol now you see why I wasn't too torn up about dropping $100. I had seen some listed at $175-$200!!

Can anyone identify this as a known fake?

I'm happy to see that the value has risen on them! :) Hope you find a bargain on an authentic one!

I'm still holding out hope that this one is real... If not, THEN the search for an authentic one at a bargain will begin. :P

Invest in a black light and see for yourself. If it doesn't glow, then try the burn test. A picture only tells one side of authenticity and according to those that have commented the picture says it is not.

Black Light Test example: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13556-1st-allied-airborne-fake/

Burn Test: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43652-using-the-burn-test-to-identify-fibers-in-patches/

vintageproductions

If you are going to use a black light or the "burn" test, amke sure you read up on both methods and understand how they both work.

Have seen patches returned because most people don't understand exactly how to use a blacklight. There are numerous threads here on the forum that explain how to do both tests properly.

Patchcollector

I've seen backs similar to yours in that there is not much white thread;but it's the front that has me scratching my head,it looks so fresh and minty(sounds like a toothpaste commercial) :lol:

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen!

Please know that I value your opinions and I am not trying to be stubborn. I suppose I'm just looking for someone to come forward and say something like: "Ah, that's the triangle tooth variant... A well known fake!"

Unfortunately as you will find out with time, fakes are not always easy to spot like a known variant. Hit it with a black light and report back.

Hi TRR,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I'm not new to collecting, just new to this forum. I will admit that I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to Raider patches. I suppose I thought there would be an expansive database on these... sort of like Bando's Eagle Patch Corner.

I need to buy a new blacklight... I'll report back ASAP.

Bill Scott

My first question is who is the seller that says its real.Why do we dance around these post with out knowing who guarantees the item.If the person that guarantees it is a stand up dealer get it in your hands show it to people and then get opinions if the consensus is its junk send it back.I have had late war Raiders that look a lot like this but without the item in hand you are shooting in the dark.If you want send it to me or Bob we will tell if its a real one.Scotty

I did show it to a few people at the show and they have it the thumbs up.

I would be more than willing to share the dealer's name with you over PM, Bill. I just believe he and his wife are good people and just made a mistake. No need to slander him.

First step will be to test it with a blacklight, then we shall see! :)

Heres one on a named group I have.There is evidence of an older Raider patch under this one.THe previous outline matches the wool or woven Aussie made ones that didnt hold up as well.THe vet then replaced this most likely prior to discharge.He ended up with the 2nd Marine Division at wars end but not uncommon for former Raiders to wear there former units patch.

I tend to like the "casper" style skull my self but both were used war time.Also most any of the mint Raider patches you will come across currently are more than likely from the Wosk sale(s)prior to ebay they were setting up at shows and many dealers and collectors were able to pick the cream of the crop from her at really fair prices.

Anyway heres the patch

post-342-0-30371000-1368671538.jpg