U.S. Property marked Victory, .38 Special

digi-shots

digi-shots

I mentioned before that the Victory model was one of my favorites... they seem to come in all "flavors"!

This was has led at least two lives. It was originally shipped on October 26, 1943 to the U.S. Navy in Oakland, California. The topstrap is stamped U.S. PROPERTY.

Sometime later in it's life it was used by the Civil Defense. I've seen a couple others marked this same way.

I've photo'd this one with a few items I've picked up... a helmet marked OCD (Office of Civil Defense) and a Civil Defense arm band with the "Air Raid Warden's" patch on it.

The lanyard and holster are both period items. The holster is not marked but I believe it was made by Brauer Bros.

post-4361-0-92802100-1368577033.jpg

Hmmm US Property stamps are usually seen on the Lend Lease Victorys with 5" barrels chambered in .38 S&W. It does appear yours is a 4" .38 Special USGI version.....wonder if S&W just used a frame stamped for lend lease and assembled it with a USGI .38 special barrel and cylinder. Most USGI ones I've seen over the years are marked US Navy or simply have the Ordnance bomb stamped near the serial number for US Army / AAF use.

Could you post a pic of the US Property stamping?

digi-shots

Thanks for all the kind words!

I believe all Victory shipments to the US military and Lend Lease had US PROPERTY stamped on the top strap; with the exception of the initial shipments that were ordered directly by the US Navy, and those are stamped US NAVY (approx. cut off serial number range V267,xxx).

There are some Victory models with no stampings on the top strap.... these were ordered through the Defense Supply Corporation and were usually guard guns, police departments, US Maritime Commission, etc.

I was able to dig out a pic of the top strap for this Navy shipped/Civil Defense Victory:

post-4361-0-67027300-1368582991.jpg

Very nice! I always liked the very light trigger pull on these when shooting them. You have nice display in the first picture.

digi-shots

Very nice! I always liked the very light trigger pull on these when shooting them. You have nice display in the first picture.

Thanks, Baron! I

Hi Linda ! Again another fine looking and desirable Victory...

I would just add something about the top strap markings on Lend Lease .38-200 Victory. Based upon my direct observation of about 30 pieces some years ago, I found two kind of markings. The earlier examples (the latest observed was about V 155.000) had "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" on the top strap and Waldemar Broberg inspector's stamp (W.B.) on the butt along with flaming bomb and P (proofed). Later examples had flaming bomb U.S. PROPERTY G.H.D. on the strap like your one. I wonder if also some .38 Special for U.S. had the older markings on the top strap. I guess that our Victory expert Charlie Flick could explain fair better than me the whole matter...

Thanks!

Fausto

digi-shots

Hi Linda ! Again another fine looking and desirable Victory...

I would just add something about the top strap markings on Lend Lease .38-200 Victory. Based upon my direct observation of about 30 pieces some years ago, I found two kind of markings. The earlier examples (the latest observed was about V 155.000) had "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" on the top strap and Waldemar Broberg inspector's stamp (W.B.) on the butt along with flaming bomb and P (proofed). Later examples had flaming bomb U.S. PROPERTY G.H.D. on the strap like your one. I wonder if also some .38 Special for U.S. had the older markings on the top strap. I guess that our Victory expert Charlie Flick could explain fair better than me the whole matter...

Thanks!

Fausto

Fausto, you're right! I stand corrected... early ones were stamped UNITED STATES PROPERTY. Right off hand I'm not sure when the changeover was made. I'll have to do some checking...

Charlie?? A little help please.. :)

Linda,
Col. Waldemar S. Broberg was the Ordnance inspector for the Springfield district from July 1941- June 1942. Broberg was relieved by General Guy H. Drewry at that time.

I don't know what Victory serial numbers would be around that time frame though. :dry::P

digi-shots

I did a little checking... the changeover from UNITED STATES PROPERTY to US PROPERTY was on contracts placed after April 1943 (.38 special) and around May 1943 (.38/200) - <Pate page 146 & 135)

Great looking gun you have there. One thing, though. The lanyard is clipped to the swivel with the snap hook. For wear, the lanyard is put over the left shoulder.

Charlie Flick

Hello Fausto and Linda:

With respect to the .38 Special, 4 inch barreled Victory Models only the use of the U.S. PROPERTY marking on the left top strap came into widespread use around the V265000 range. Guns in the V265000 range are recorded as having shipped from the S&W factory in the March, 1943 time frame. There are a few guns with this marking which appear in the Victory Model Database bearing lower serial numbers but which probably shipped later. (S&W did not ship in strict, consecutive serial number order.)

The left top strap marking UNITED STATES PROPERTY was not used on 4 inch, .38 Special revolvers, but was used on the 2 inch barreled .38 Special Victories. That very small group of revolvers (serial numbered in the V175000 range) shipped in December, 1942.

I hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick