A small WW I collection from a small state, Delaware

jmar

Hi WM and Ski!

Thanks for your support and kind comments. It's really nice to see the interest this has generated, perhaps others will be inspired to post some WW I service medals from their state or local area. They are a lot of fun since in many cases you can walk down the street and see the homes where these veterans once lived.

Since this forum is a great repository of U.S. military service I'd like to take this opportunity to share the DE WW I Service Card information on the vets from my original post that Bluejacket was kind enough to send to me. Spaces have been added to the last names.

#1222 - William F. D o n n e l l y, Pvt. Service No. 753194

address: 1815 W. 16th St., Wilm. DE

inducted 4 Mar. 1918 age: 23 years 8/12 months

Assigned:
Medical Detachment, Chickamauga Military Park, GA
from induction to 4 April 1918
to Repl. (?) Hospital, A Blois, France to 13 June 1918.

overseas service - 19 May 1918 to 17 Aug 1919

Died 9 Jan 1982 in PA

#1220 - John James D o n o h u e Pvt. Service No. 2,515,555

address: Wilmington

inducted 18 Sept. 1917 and released to enlist in Engineering Enlisted Reserve Corps

Assigned: In EERC until discharge

overseas service - none

Died 14 Nov. 1949

# 2466 - Hamilton W. C r o w (No "s" on card).
Pvt. Service No. 2,943,303

address: #77- 5th St., New Castle, DE

inducted: 25 may 1918 age: Born 13 Feb. 1893, Elkton, MD

Assigned: 153 Depot Brigade, induction to 10 Aug. 1918
HQ Co., 78th FA, till discharge.

overseas service - 14 Aug. 1918 to 19 June 1919

discharged: 25 June 1919

Applied for Victory Medal, "France" clasp, 18 June 1921

# 5849 - George R e t t i n g, Pvt. Service No. 4,021,184

address:805 N. Clayton St., Wilm. DE.

inducted: 4 Sept. 1918 age: born 26 Sept. 1896

Assigned: 154 Depot Brigade from induction to 12 Sept. 1918
Co. B, 147th Engineers till discharge

overseas service - None

#7714 John H. W a t e r s - Pvt. Service No. 4,112,061 Colored

address: Odessa, DE

inducted: 24 Sept. 1918 age: born 6 Dec. 1894

Assigned:
54th Co., 153 Depot Brigade from induction to 1 Nov. 1918
Co. E, 552 Service Bn to discharge 3 Jan. 1919

overseas service - None

My best wishes to you both!

Joe

JimmyBerry2013

These are the Indiana local war service medals I know of. I'm always interested in discovering others:

INDIANA

Cass County WWI

Dearborn County WWI

Delaware County WWI

Dubois County WWI

Elkhart WWI

Evansville WWI

Floyd County WWI

German Township WWI

Goshen WWI

Henry County WWI

Indiana MBS

Jackson County Red Cross WWI

Laporte County WWI

Logansport and Cass County WWI

Marion WWI

Marshall County WWI

St. Joseph County WWI

Wabash County WWI

Warren County WWI

These are the Indiana local war service medals I know of. I'm always interested in discovering others:

INDIANA

Cass County WWI

Dearborn County WWI

Delaware County WWI

Dubois County WWI

Elkhart WWI

Evansville WWI

Floyd County WWI

German Township WWI

Goshen WWI

Henry County WWI

Indiana MBS

Jackson County Red Cross WWI

Laporte County WWI

Logansport and Cass County WWI

Marion WWI

Marshall County WWI

St. Joseph County WWI

Wabash County WWI

Warren County WWI

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all!

It's been nearly 2 years since I started this thread and I thought it was time to revive it in the hopes others will add to it. I've picked up several other examples since its inception and will be adding to it over the next few weeks. I had to post this group I landed within the last few months. Needless to say I'm happier than a pig in p**p :D

This is one of the photos from the listing, an overview. More detailed scans to come. The Federal WW I Vic was erroneously attached to the backing card for the DE State Service Medal (quickly corrected when it arrived). Sadly the issue envelope was not in the group.

Please feel free to add here, I really appreciate seeing other examples of SAW and WW I Delaware service medals from other collections!

Thank you for stopping in and reading. My best to each of you,

Joe

post-48324-0-93513900-1424992593.jpg

I just found this thread and want to thank everyone for the posts and tons of information on it. I've been collecting WWI state and local medals for several years and I appreciate and enjoy seeing the examples pictured and reading the results of your research.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for re-posting the Delaware WW1 medals. Beautiful medals and it is nice that they are numbered. I have quite a few Pennsylvania groups with the state WW1 medal. At some point I will post all of them together. The state of Pennsylvania sold thousands of Mexican Border and WW1 state medals, mint in the boxes, for scrap in the 1970's. A friend of mine bought many of them and sold them for years. All are gone now but they can still be found in the box in mint condition at a very reasonable price. The Pennsylvania state archives has a list of soldiers who requested the medals but it is very incomplete. The state produced medals for both the National Guard and Federal service, however, although the NG medals were free there was a charge for the Federal service medals. Thanks again for a very interesting topic.

Dick

The state of Pennsylvania sold thousands of Mexican Border and WW1 state medals, mint in the boxes, for scrap in the 1970's.

A similar thing happened with New Jersey WW1 Victory Medals. The state didn't sell them for scrap, but a large quantity of them (all in the original white boxes) were "liberated" from forgotten storage a few decades ago. They are quite common now as a result.

Hi Dennis. Dick and Kurt!

great to see that interest in this aspect of collecting is alive and well! Thank you all for your comments and precious info. It's a pleasure to see you all!

Thank you! I'll be posting more DE State WW I material soon.

My best to you all!

Joe

• 1 year later...

Hello gang!

I have more WW I pieces to add to this thread, but am very excited to be able to add this fantastic Mexican Border Service group. I'm truly blessed to be able to be their caretaker for the present. I hope you enjoy!

My best to you all!

Joe

post-48324-0-90876800-1459033754.jpg

Fred Borgmann

Neat medals! Always liked the design. I had one years ago, #5844 named to H.O.Rentz. and currently have #1456 named to J.Y. Bolan in my collection.

• 11 months later...

Hello all!

Many thanks to all who have commented or added to my thread. If you happen to have a Delaware State WW I Service Medal, please post it here! I'd really enjoy seeing them!!

I recently obtained this awesome group from a gentleman who cleans out attics, basements, etc.. It was buried at the bottom of a box of frames and would have been discarded had he not looked through the entire box. Never before in collector hands I'm thrilled to have this honored veteran's group. I've since removed them from the (non-archival) shadow box, fortunately they were mounted in such a way that there was no damage at all to any of the items. The Mexican service is named to the same vet as in the WW I ID and WW I DE State service medal. The Mexican Border Service number traces to him. I was very fortunate to have come across this group from a 59th Pioneer, Company H, 1st Lt.

I've been gleaning a good amount of data on him from Ancestry and Newspapers.com

I'll be updating this thread as soon as I get a bit of time with more detailed pics of this group as well as some other DE pieces.

Yet another piece of American history, close to being lost forever, preserved by a private collector at their expense.

Thank you for stopping by, please add your pics!!!

Best wishes,

Joe

post-48324-0-67100800-1488581615_thumb.jpg

One more, again there's some good research material from the net on this honored Vet who paid the ultimate price for us. And I'll post what I have when I have time to prep the lo-res files.

Thank you again for stopping by!

Joe

post-48324-0-55586300-1488583158_thumb.jpg

aerialbridge

Beautiful state service medal, Joe. I Look forward to reading the history of this fallen hero from a small state---- but not the smallest. ;) Glad it was saved from a land fill and now in good hands that will research, preserve and honor what the medals represent.

Hello all!

Many thanks to all who have commented or added to my thread. If you happen to have a Delaware State WW I Service Medal, please post it here! I'd really enjoy seeing them!!

I recently obtained this awesome group from a gentleman who cleans out attics, basements, etc.. It was buried at the bottom of a box of frames and would have been discarded had he not looked through the entire box. Never before in collector hands I'm thrilled to have this honored veteran's group. I've since removed them from the (non-archival) shadow box, fortunately they were mounted in such a way that there was no damage at all to any of the items. The Mexican service is named to the same vet as in the WW I ID and WW I DE State service medal. The Mexican Border Service number traces to him. I was very fortunate to have come across this group from a 59th Pioneer, Company H, 1st Lt.

I've been gleaning a good amount of data on him from Ancestry and Newspapers.com

I'll be updating this thread as soon as I get a bit of time with more detailed pics of this group as well as some other DE pieces.

Yet another piece of American history, close to being lost forever, preserved by a private collector at their expense.

Thank you for stopping by, please add your pics!!!

Best wishes,

Joe

attachicon.gifIMG_2939.JPG