A small WW I collection from a small state, Delaware

jmar

Joe:

I Regret to report that none of your five names, Waters, Crowe, Donohue, Donnelly, or Retting appear in the roster of the 59th Pioneer Inf, formerly the 1st Delaware Inf. Co. F does have Joseph G. Waters and James W. Donohue, but their middle initials are different. Strange that the two Jenkins brothers also do not appear in this roster, despite one of them having a Dela. Mex. Border medal. Your next move is to contact the Dela. State Archives for their WW1 state record card copies.

Regards, Tom Nier

Hi Tom,

Thank you for checking for me, I appreciate your time and for updating us all on your results.

Best wishes to you,

Joe

Being that the KIA example Adam posted has a rather low number, I wonder if it's possible the first issued medals went to the families of KIA? (I guess we'd need to see additional KIA examples to get a better sense of that.)

Hi Kurt,

It does seem that way from the KIA examples I've seen, they are all very low numbers.

Thanks again for posting from your collection!

Joe

Great postings. Thanks for starting this thread, Joe.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for reading and replying! It's a subject near and dear to me and I've been very pleased with the positive response from my fellow Forum members!

Best wishes to you!

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for posting these! I like to pick up the WWI service medals that were issued by various counties in Indiana. While Indiana itself did not award a service medal, about 10 of the counties did.

Hi Beast!

Great to see you stop on in! Looks like Jeff has added some material for you. Thanks to him once again for sharing his info and thank you for reading and replying. I hope you will be able to fill out your WW I Indiana county issued medals collection, and hope even more that you'll share your findings and additions with us here.

Best wishes!

Joe

Awesome collection! I don't have any Delaware state medals, but I do have this group I purchased from scottplen a while back. William A McWilliams was the Superintendent for the Delaware State Police in 1942 and was one of the chief engineers for the Delaware Memorial Bridge. He was the City Manager for Rehoboth into the 1970's. The dogtag has his old address, 43 East Division Street, a block away from my house!

-Ski

post-3043-0-79862600-1368820284.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a nice Memorial Day, a time to sit back, reflect and reminiscence.

I am VERY honored to be able to say that I'm now the present caretaker of this Delaware Veteran's WW I State Service Medal.

This is my only KIA from my home state, I am very pleased that the seller was open to negotiation, if they happen to be a member of this forum, Thank you!

There is quite a bit of information on this honored veteran on the web, I'm posting some of what I've found. He went to Cornell to become a Civil Engineer and was offered the opportunity for a commission, but chose to remain in the enlisted ranks to ensure he would go overseas to serve. He served and died for us. His final post as a machine gunner with the 358th Infantry Regiment.

I Thank you all for such positive comments on my thread. I hope you all will take a moment today to remember this man's service and sacrifice, along with so many others.

My best to you all!

Joe

post-48324-0-28003300-1369690559.jpg

I would also like to thank my new friend and fellow Delawarean, Bluejacket, for sending me the Service Card info on all of my earlier posts in this thread.

My thanks and best to you!

Joe

Joe,

What a wonderful addition! I am glad this is in such wonderful hands!

If I am reading this correctly, he start Cornell University at the age of 14? Could that be right?

....Kat

Joe,

Great information on the new WWI KIA.

Bluejacket

Thank you for your nice reply Bluejacket, and for all of your help, both are appreciated!

Best wishes!

Joe

Joe,

What a wonderful addition! I am glad this is in such wonderful hands!

If I am reading this correctly, he start Cornell University at the age of 14? Could that be right?

....Kat

Hi Kat!

Always nice to see you! You know I hadn't realized that, I had assumed he was 18 from the date in the yearbook, but his notice in the Cornell Alumni News says he entered in 1909 which would put him at the very young age of 14. Perhaps a prodigy considering he was in the engineering curriculum. Cornell's school of engineering is especially difficult too (so I've heard).

You've brought up a very interesting point that will need more research. I'll let you know what I find.

Thank you for a good catch in the data!

Best wishes,

Joe

Joe,

I just took a second look and noticed something that I did not see the first time. The newspaper article you posted said he was born in 1891 but the gravesite memorial website said 1895. I wonder if the grave website is wrong. This would have made him 18 when he started at Cornell.

Sorry that I did not notice this the first time.....Kat

Hi Kat!

I think I found the answer! If you look at his draft registration card it almost looks like 1895, but the person who wrote it seemed to have made it into 1891. I think that is where the error from the grave site article might have occurred. Turns out our elementary school teachers were right to stress good penmanship :lol:

Thank you for replying back, it would have been very exciting to have seen a (very gifted) 14 year old enter Cornell from Delaware!

My best to you always!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Great medals! I also find the state medals interesting. I have a number of WW1 groups with Pennsylvania State medals both 28 Division and Federal. Thanks for posting these beautiful medals. Great research on the Speer group.

Dick

Hello Dick,

Thanks for stopping in and replying. I'm glad you enjoyed the post! I'm especially excited about the Speer group, it was nice to get the medal along with the French memorial certificate, it is a first for me.

I'd really like to see some of your PA State medals, including the 28th Division pieces. I was born in PA and now live within walking distance of the state line! Unfortunately I have a friend in Pittsburgh who is an avid collector of PANG material, I know he'd enjoy seeing your material too.

If you ever get the time to start a thread on PA State material I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.

Thank you again for your nice comments, best wishes!

Joe