A small WW I collection from a small state, Delaware

jmar

Beautiful state service medal, Joe. I Look forward to reading the history of this fallen hero from a small state---- but not the smallest. ;) Glad it was saved from a land fill and now in good hands that will research, preserve and honor what the medals represent.

Thanks AB for stopping by, hope you've been doing well! Not the smallest state, but a close second...ha!

Best wishes to you!

Joe

Hell of a grouping! Well done!

-Ski

Hi Ski!

It's great to be back and hear from my "old" friends. I was in the right place at the right time for that one, probably never happen again, but pleased beyond words that it happened at all!

Thanks for stopping by!

Best wishes,

Joe

Joe-

That is an outstanding grouping! Great score!

Kurt

Hi Kurt!

It's really great to hear from you and the others! Thank you for stopping in and commenting. I've got a lot of scanning and digging to do on the two recently posted as well as some others not yet added. It's nice to have a primary focus... finally, it only took 53 years of collecting to get there <ha!>

My best wishes to you,

Joe

Hi Kurt!

It's really great to hear from you and the others! Thank you for stopping in and commenting. I've got a lot of scanning and digging to do on the two recently posted as well as some others not yet added. It's nice to have a primary focus... finally, it only took 53 years of collecting to get there <ha!>

My best wishes to you,

Joe

Joe-

What town in Delaware was the Lt from?

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

He was born in St. Georges, and lived in New Castle, and Elmhurst (so far, perhaps other places in DE) He died in Elmhurst in 1968, his service was in New Castle at Gebhart Funeral Home and he was buried at St. Georges Cemetery.

It's going to be an awesome project. Even found out he served as Chaplain of the State Chapter of WW I Veterans (hence the cross!) Also Past commander of the Wilmington Barracks No. 2550.

I look forward to adding more data to preserve this honored Veteran's service.

Thank you for your interest!!

Joe

• 3 years later...
On 3/3/2017 at 11:56 PM, jmar said:

Hello all!

Many thanks to all who have commented or added to my thread. If you happen to have a Delaware State WW I Service Medal, please post it here! I'd really enjoy seeing them!!

Best wishes,

Joe

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site but came across this very interesting thread during an internet search. I am an Englishman living in France and a major part of my collection is allied victory medals of WW1, a sub-part of which are the US state, county and town peace/service medals. This is the Delaware medal from my collection and I would be very grateful if anyone is able to tell me anything about the recipient, HT Cummings (medal number 8197) 

thanks in advance,

Rob

DE 351 obverse.JPG

DE 351 reverse.JPG

Hello Rob,

Beautiful medal, with an interesting recipient if I'm correct. Appears he was an officer, I hope this info will help you in your research.

Harry T Cummings
Birth Date:
27 Nov 1884
Military Date:
18 Oct 1919
Residence Place:
New Castle, Delaware
Death Date:
10 Feb 1945

Quite a bit on him on Newspapers.com. I snagged a few for you:

cummings_obit.jpg

1 hour ago, jmar said:

Hello Rob,

Beautiful medal, with an interesting recipient if I'm correct. Appears he was an officer, I hope this info will help you in your research.

Harry T Cummings
Birth Date:
27 Nov 1884
Military Date:
18 Oct 1919
Residence Place:
New Castle, Delaware
Death Date:
10 Feb 1945

Quite a bit on him on Newspapers.com. I snagged a few for you:

Hi Joe,

very fast response - many thanks! Interesting research too - I have had that medal a bit more than 10 years so it is great to finally have some knowledge about the recipient.

best wishes

Rob

5 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Here is his WWII Draft Registration card:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Much appreciated - many thanks!!

best wishes

Rob

1 hour ago, stratasfan said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Again, many thanks for all of these great scans of newspaper clippings.

Is there a thread on the forum for the equivalent Wyoming medal? I have a named one of those and again no information about the recipient.

Rob

12 minutes ago, Sumserbrown said:

Again, many thanks for all of these great scans of newspaper clippings.

Is there a thread on the forum for the equivalent Wyoming medal? I have a named one of those and again no information about the recipient.

Rob

Don't know particularly for Wyoming medals, but why don't you start a new thread? I can try seeing what I can find for that one, too. :) 

1 hour ago, stratasfan said:

Don't know particularly for Wyoming medals, but why don't you start a new thread? I can try seeing what I can find for that one, too. :) 

Thanks for the suggestion! Here is the new thread, any help would be very welcome......