A small WW I collection from a small state, Delaware

jmar

Hello everyone!

I hope you are well and enjoying collecting, preserving and honoring the service of the men and women of the United States Military.

I've been wanting to do a post on a favorite WW I collection from my home state of Delaware. I was born and lived in PA until I was 8 years old, and then moved to DE. I've lived here 50 years and enjoy the convenience of living so close to many big cities, but coming home to a quieter life.

Here are the Delaware WW I Service medals I've obtained. I have info on some of the recipients, but wanted to do a quick post to see if there was any interest.

I have MUCH higher resolution of these, if anyone would like just shoot me a PM.

Thank you for stopping in and viewing a small collection that means a lot to me.

Best wishes to you all!

Joe

post-48324-0-97958600-1368570627.jpg

dave peifer

hi joe.......very interesting,delaware is our second home,hope you get to visit ft miles.............dave

Very nice Joe!

I remember seeing Donohue's set listed last September and it's the only enveloped set I've seen for that state thus far. Nice to see it went to a good home.

Tim

Joe-

Very nice collection! I've always liked the WW1 Delaware medals. Living in NJ, I tend to come across them at the local flea markets. Here's an interesting trio to 2 brothers that I found awhile back. WW1 Delaware Medals named to brothers J.E. Jenkins and J.G.(John) Jenkins. What's really neat is that the medals have consecutive numbers - 3139 and 3140. And there is a Delaware Mexican Border Service medal named to John. (Don't know if the other brother received one of those.)

My grandfather was from Delaware and served in WW1 (59th Pioneers), but unfortunately, he never received one of these.

Kurt

post-322-0-80636800-1368574305.jpg

post-322-0-06117500-1368574326.jpgpost-322-0-45627800-1368574342.jpg

Great State Service medals. Glad ya'll took the time to post. Regards, Robert

Joe:

A very fine assortment of Delaware WW1 medals. Do you have a copy of the "History of the 59th PIoneer Infantry, AEF"? This booklet of about 50 pages has the complete roster of this Regt., which was formerly the 1st Delaware Infantry. If not, I have a copy, and would be glad to check out any of the names on your Delaware WW1 medals. Veterans from this state can be further researched by contacting the Delaware state archives. They have a set of WW1 state service record cards for veterans enlisting from Delaware.

hi joe.......very interesting,delaware is our second home,hope you get to visit ft miles.............dave

Hi Dave!

Thanks for stopping in. I've been down to the Lewes area on several occasions, but never seemed to to find the time for a trip there. Considering it's only about 2 hrs away I should make a special trip down visit that historical site.

Best wishes!

Joe

Very nice Joe!

I remember seeing Donohue's set listed last September and it's the only enveloped set I've seen for that state thus far. Nice to see it went to a good home.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, I was VERY happy to have been able to add it. There was some aggressive bidding on it, but like you, it was the first I had ever seen so I had to have it. They are nicely made sterling medals, the one in the envelope was in beautiful condition too, made me feel better about the cost!

Thanks for your comments, my best wishes,

Joe

Great State Service medals. Glad ya'll took the time to post. Regards, Robert

Hi Robert!

Thanks for stopping in and commenting. It's always good to see you!

Best wishes,

Joe

Joe:

A very fine assortment of Delaware WW1 medals. Do you have a copy of the "History of the 59th PIoneer Infantry, AEF"? This booklet of about 50 pages has the complete roster of this Regt., which was formerly the 1st Delaware Infantry. If not, I have a copy, and would be glad to check out any of the names on your Delaware WW1 medals. Veterans from this state can be further researched by contacting the Delaware state archives. They have a set of WW1 state service record cards for veterans enlisting from Delaware.

Hi Tom,

I've done only web research on these recipients, with very little success. I'd really appreciate any info you might find in your copy of History of the 59th PIoneer Infantry, AEF. I don't have a copy, but probably should try and snag one if I'm ever fortunate enough to find it.

Thank you again for your offer!

Best wishes to you always,

Joe

Joe,

Very nice medals! I did not know about the states having their own WWI medals. Was this true for all states?

....Kat

Not all the states issued WWI medals, but these did:

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Maryland

Missouri (versions for National Guard and federal forces)

New Hamphire

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania (versions for National Guard and federal forces)

Rhode Island

Wyoming

Several of these also had awards for state guard members who served.

It's an interesting series to collect. A few are common (New York, New Jersey), but a few are very tough to find (Oklahoma).

Not all the states issued WWI medals, but these did:

Thanks for the list! That is very interesting....Kat

Joe-

Very nice collection! I've always liked the WW1 Delaware medals. Living in NJ, I tend to come across them at the local flea markets. Here's an interesting trio to 2 brothers that I found awhile back. WW1 Delaware Medals named to brothers J.E. Jenkins and J.G.(John) Jenkins. What's really neat is that the medals have consecutive numbers - 3139 and 3140. And there is a Delaware Mexican Border Service medal named to John. (Don't know if the other brother received one of those.)

My grandfather was from Delaware and served in WW1 (59th Pioneers), but unfortunately, he never received one of these.

Kurt

attachicon.gifDel Medals 1.jpg

attachicon.gifDel Medals 2.jpgattachicon.gifDel Medals 3.jpg

Hi Kurt,

I was doing some digging before I replied to your post here, but unfortunately my lead fell short.

First of all THANK YOU for posting more of these beauties here, I really enjoyed seeing them. What a unique group to 2 brothers, and the consecutive numbers make it all the more interesting! The Delaware Mexican Border Service is very nice too. I still don't have one of those, hopefully I'll be able to track one of those down! I appreciate your comments and additional material here.

Best wishes to you!!

Joe

Hi Kat and Jeff!

Thank you both for reading and replying. Also thank you to Jeff for the list of states that issued WW I service medals. It's a handy list for those interested.

My best to you both!

Joe

Let me tie two thoughts together, since Kurt illustrates the scarce Delaware Mexican Border Service Medal. These are the states that issued state medals for service on the Mexican Border:

Alabama

Arkansas

Colorado (5 variations)

Indiana

iowa

Missouri

Nebraska

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Tennessee

Wisconsin

Here's one that I used to own with a large gold star on the ribbon indicating a posthumous award. Pvt. Woodman R. Beeson, 312th Infantry Regiment, 78th Division was killed in action 25 October 1918. He's buried at the Meuse Argonne American Cemetery in Romagne, France.

post-10651-0-77034500-1368666924.jpg

Joe:

I Regret to report that none of your five names, Waters, Crowe, Donohue, Donnelly, or Retting appear in the roster of the 59th Pioneer Inf, formerly the 1st Delaware Inf. Co. F does have Joseph G. Waters and James W. Donohue, but their middle initials are different. Strange that the two Jenkins brothers also do not appear in this roster, despite one of them having a Dela. Mex. Border medal. Your next move is to contact the Dela. State Archives for their WW1 state record card copies.

Regards, Tom Nier

Here's one that I used to own with a large gold star on the ribbon indicating a posthumous award. Pvt. Woodman R. Beeson, 312th Infantry Regiment, 78th Division was killed in action 25 October 1918. He's buried at the Meuse Argonne American Cemetery in Romagne, France.

Being that the KIA example Adam posted has a rather low number, I wonder if it's possible the first issued medals went to the families of KIA? (I guess we'd need to see additional KIA examples to get a better sense of that.)

Joe,

Thanks for posting these! I like to pick up the WWI service medals that were issued by various counties in Indiana. While Indiana itself did not award a service medal, about 10 of the counties did.

These are the Indiana local war service medals I know of. I'm always interested in discovering others:

INDIANA

Cass County WWI

Dearborn County WWI

Delaware County WWI

Dubois County WWI

Elkhart WWI

Evansville WWI

Floyd County WWI

German Township WWI

Goshen WWI

Henry County WWI

Indiana MBS

Jackson County Red Cross WWI

Laporte County WWI

Logansport and Cass County WWI

Marion WWI

Marshall County WWI

St. Joseph County WWI

Wabash County WWI

Warren County WWI

These are the Indiana local war service medals I know of. I'm always interested in discovering others:

INDIANA

Cass County WWI

Dearborn County WWI

Delaware County WWI

Dubois County WWI

Elkhart WWI

Evansville WWI

Floyd County WWI

German Township WWI

Goshen WWI

Henry County WWI

Indiana MBS

Jackson County Red Cross WWI

Laporte County WWI

Logansport and Cass County WWI

Marion WWI

Marshall County WWI

St. Joseph County WWI

Wabash County WWI

Warren County WWI

Thanks Jeff! I have 50% of these and still on the hunt for more. The one medal I hadn't heard about though was the Jackson County Red Cross medal. I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

Hi Adam,

I saw that one on your website about a year ago and drooled all over the place. I thought that you might still have it and now wish I had been the lucky next owner/caretaker of such a beautiful and rare medal.

Thank you for posting this excellent example of a posthumous award in my thread, I'm very happy to have it honored here.

Best wishes!

Joe