MOLLUS Medal

Bruce Linz

Bruce Linz

Hello,

Here is an example of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) membership medal that I found on ebay several months ago. The small link has the number "9632" engraved on one side and the number "10369" engraved on the other side. I have searched my copy of UNION BLUE twice and can not find either of these numbers. I wonder if both these number could belong to Second Class or Hereditary Members. Any help attributing either of these two numbers would be appreciated. I am also looking for a attribution on MOLLUS medal #16454. Please excuse my poor photography.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

MOLLUS medal 01.JPG

Bruce Linz

Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) membership medal reverse

MOLLUS medal 02.JPG

Bruce Linz

Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) membership medal obverse closeup

MOLLUS medal 03.JPG

Bruce Linz

Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) membership medal number "9632" and "10369"

MOLLUS medal 05.JPG

MOLLUS medal 06.JPG

• 1 year later...

The blue in the middle of the ribbon indicates that it belonged to a descendant of an original member. In those days, the medals for an original member had a red stripe in the middle of the ribbon. (Later, all M.O.L.L.U.S. medals had red in the middle).

Bruce,

Here is a link to a similar Loyal Legion medal for a descendant that I have.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9685-loyal-legion-boxed-medal-silk/?hl=%2Bloyal+%2Blegion

Notice that the ribbon on the tobacco silk is slightly different from the one on the medal. This may simply be a printing mistake on the part of the tobacco company but it might also be another distinction for all I know?

• 1 year later...

Wow, Adam! That is some pretty amazing sleuthing you have accomplished! How did you even remember that Mr. Linz was in need of an ID for this MOLLUS badge?!

That's just incredible!

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. I did a search on "Loyal Legion" here on the Forum and came across this old thread. I've put together a good reference library on the Loyal Legion (both digital and hard copy) so it wasn't too hard to come up with the attribution.

Adam,

Thank you so much for the medal attribution. I really was surprised that you remembered. I still have the medal.

I have a large MOLLUS certificate that is in very poor shape. It is has been torn in to several pieces and a small portion is missing. Is this item worth saving? It would probably cost a couple hundred dollars to have it conserved and framed. I'll get the name later. I think it is to a Lieutenant.

Once again thank you for remembering I had this medal.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

• 6 years later...

Union Blue: The History of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States by Robert G. Carroon and Dana B. Shoaf.   I think it is available on Amazon.