Ebay Seller Ethics Question

Is this legal?

Seller put this item up on ebay, with a note that they would take offers, yet the offers option wasn't an option.

I contacted her and asked her about it. She said she would leave it up cause she had gotten several offers and hits.

She then ended it within a few days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korean-War-Chaplains-Portable-Altar-Communion-Set-NIB-1952-Herman-Wolf-Co-PA-/221225259610

She said she had experience with ebay, yet she only had two feedbacks. Thoughts???

My thought is that you can't expect anything reasonable from ebay... Just a few days ago, I was bidding on an item, which I kept getting outbid on (from when there was an hour left... It was only me and one bidder throughout, the other guy had 0 feedback) until it got to 200 dollars and it started to get pretty stupid, so stopped bidding up. 10 mins after the auction ended I got a message from the seller that the other guy backed out, and he offered to sell it to me for my highest bid... I just told him to piss off.

But I actually left out the begining of the story. The item was listed with a BIN 120 dollars, which was a pretty decent price. I told the seller I was interested in the pack and that the price was fair, but I asked for a picture of the back of the pack just to make sure. Of course, he re-listed it with a BIN of 210 dollars and the opening bid was a 90, which is when I started bidding. I shouldn't even have started bidding with such a guy, but if you want the item bad enough...

I don't have high expectations from ebay, but some people get to me. You can't expect ebay to do anything about... Well anything, whether it's illegal or not.

Frederik

Generally speaking if there is an item that ends without a bid and they don't relist it, I'll shoot them a mail and ask them if they would be willing to sell it at the list price. The 'ask a question' option is a direct line to the seller so that's probably how shes getting her offers. I've made many good contacts on e-bay with questions and gotten stuff that was destined for ebay, before it made it. Is she breaking the rules by not having the option, sure. If she still takes offers via the question method, then it serves the same point.

I think RedLegGI is right. She got the offers through the ask a question source rather than use the best offer option. Found the price she was looking for and then revised it from a bid auction to a buy it now listing and probably let the high offer person know when she did it so they could jump on it right after she made the change.

I think a seller is a fool for adding a BIN to anything that does not have a defined market value. This is a good example of something you can't place an exact price on because there are not enough to compare to. A recent example: A friend of mine put a rare steiff bear on .99NR and had offers of 500-750 to end it within an hour of posting it. He let it run and the guy that won it was one of the lower original offers but paid 1700. My philosophy is If the buyer made an offer of 1200, the buyer would have bid that much to begin with, so why risk not letting someone else outbid the buyer. Unethical, not really because the offer option is not available for an auction so she had to do it that way and completed it using eBay. It is the sellers right to place a reserve or BIN option on their items. What is unethical, when something cool gets listed at .99NR only to magically "have an error in the listing" and never be seen again.

I have made offers to buy something once it has ended and usually lower because I felt the asking price was to high. The same for BIN, nothing wrong with making an offer.

Looking for items from the 38th Infantry Regiment

Feel free to read/leave For Sale section feedback: CLICK HERE

ASMIC: 5218

"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

-General George S. Patton Jr.

Its tough but I think that emotion needs to be separated from the auction process. I view the item as always belonging to the seller, that being such, I am at the whim and mercy of the seller when making offers and even bidding. As a seller I have removed items from auction and sold outright. The bin option costs extra and often drives bidders away so why use it? Its your item do as you please, some might get angry but you really only need to satisfy yourself when selling. That being said, falsely driving up bids is quite unethical and should not be done, but if you choose to end an auction either to sell or retain an item, well, its your item... Scott.

donation2013.gif

Is this legal?

Seller put this item up on ebay, with a note that they would take offers, yet the offers option wasn't an option.

I contacted her and asked her about it. She said she would leave it up cause she had gotten several offers and hits.

She then ended it within a few days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korean-War-Chaplains-Portable-Altar-Communion-Set-NIB-1952-Herman-Wolf-Co-PA-/221225259610

She said she had experience with ebay, yet she only had two feedbacks. Thoughts???

I can't see that she did anything wrong. It looks like someone clicked the Buy It Now button and paid the $1,200 BIN price. In order to take offers she would have had to list it as a fixed price item. Instead she listed it as an auction with a BIN price. The minimum bid was $750, but the BIN price stays up until someone makes a bid, but no one did, so the buyer just needed to click the BIn button - all perfectly legal, ethical, moral and normal.

chap.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

I can't see that she did anything wrong. It looks like someone clicked the Buy It Now button and paid the $1,200 BIN price. In order to take offers she would have had to list it as a fixed price item. Instead she listed it as an auction with a BIN price. The minimum bid was $750, but the BIN price stays up until someone makes a bid, but no one did, so the buyer just needed to click the BIn button - all perfectly legal, ethical, moral and normal.

attachicon.gifchap.jpg

I think what she did was list it without a BIN but put "accepting offers" in the listing and when she received a high enough offer, she added the price to the listing. Nothing wrong at all with that.

I think what she did was list it without a BIN but put "accepting offers" in the listing and when she received a high enough offer, she added the price to the listing. Nothing wrong at all with that.

Yep, the buyer got what they wanted and the seller got what they wanted: that is pretty much the definition of a fair deal.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

My thought is that you can't expect anything reasonable from ebay... Just a few days ago, I was bidding on an item, which I kept getting outbid on (from when there was an hour left... It was only me and one bidder throughout, the other guy had 0 feedback) until it got to 200 dollars and it started to get pretty stupid, so stopped bidding up. 10 mins after the auction ended I got a message from the seller that the other guy backed out, and he offered to sell it to me for my highest bid... I just told him to piss off.

But I actually left out the begining of the story. The item was listed with a BIN 120 dollars, which was a pretty decent price. I told the seller I was interested in the pack and that the price was fair, but I asked for a picture of the back of the pack just to make sure. Of course, he re-listed it with a BIN of 210 dollars and the opening bid was a 90, which is when I started bidding. I shouldn't even have started bidding with such a guy, but if you want the item bad enough...

I don't have high expectations from ebay, but some people get to me. You can't expect ebay to do anything about... Well anything, whether it's illegal or not.

Frederik

I would have told them that since the bidder backed out, those bids don't count and that you will pay 1 bidding increment over the "3rd" highest bid. That is what you would have paid if the person had never bid.

That gets their attention.

I caught some guy going this to me on a POW letter lot and I let him eat the commission. The funny thing is he had the lot at the Show of Shows 3 weeks later and I bought it for half the Ebay price. I know it was the same guy selling it because the business names matched.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The way I look at eBay is this: Think of any larger town and the different people who live there,you have the decent folks with good values who aren't trying to screw anyone over,you have the folks who are ok,but you wouldn't lend them your lawn mower!. you have the mad cat lady,the village idiot,that strange guy down the street who collects old army junk(!) and just about every other human trait you can imagine,including the real crooks.

Now think of them all on eBay...... :huh:;)

Collecting WWII and pre-war Air Corps items-Unit Histories,Uniforms,Medals and Groupings.

*Seeking Pre-WWII Air Corps Officers and Enlisted Dress Uniform items!*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I think the fuss might be over the fact that she had the words: "make an offer, contact me." statement. I think this was kind of a coy way of saying that she'd be willing to do an off eBay sale. However, by having set this sale to an auction with BIN option, she pretty much covered her bases as far as a technical violation of eBay rules go.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I fail to see what the fuss is about - she played by the rules and did a legal and proper

At first it was not a BIN option.

I contacted her and made an offer. She replied that several people are looking at it and they she would let it run its course to get the best price.

Within a day, she changed it to BIN and it was gone.

While legal...perhaps...but when she said she would let it run and then changes her mind...which she can do...It makes me wonder.

I still don't see the issue here. You made an offer that I assume was less than what she sold it for and basically turned it down without trying to turn you off of bidding (saying she would let it run it's course). She then received a high enough offer to end the auction. While a little sly, I think that is definitely the lower scale of dishonest sellers compared to others on ebay.

I see no issue of ethics here whatsoever. She owned it and apparently had enough offers to make her change her mind and offer a BIN option. It is that damned free enterprise thing at work again. The way to avoid this in the future is to step up and make a powerful offer.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.